netkas.org forum
May 26, 2019, 11:00:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1166591 times)
konran

« Reply #330 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »

When I ask mine to sleep, there is a good 30 seconds before it goes to sleep, when it wakes the fans spin like mad for a wile. If i shutdown it KPs.

sound the sam as yours?

Not identical. The KP's on shutdown, yes. When I send mine to sleep it will do immediately - but I was waiting before doing it until all system activity is near zero, no more Spotlight indexing etc. So this could make a difference for the point of time when it goes to sleep. After wakeup I only have high fan spinning when I wake it up nearly immediately after sending it to sleep. The fan RPM's after wakeup depend on the CPU/system temperature. With 12A206j build I waited more than 30 minutes after letting the Mac go to sleep when I woke it up. So I had only 500 RPM's CPU fan spinning. I tried it with an earlier update of 10.8 and made a sleep/wakeup sequence with only 1 minute time in between. In this case I had about 1100 RPM's CPU fan spinning with a slow decreasing curve.

I think that fan spinning is a normal behaviour while doing KP's on shutdown is not...

Added:
The fan behaviour is identical to my Lion 10.7.4 (11E53) installation which I'm using currently as my active OS. I left my Mac to sleep at 500 RPM CPU fan and woke it up a minute later. CPU fan went up to 1240 RPM and it took approx. 4 minutes to get down again to 500 RPM. Well, I have proper temperatures around - it's 30.5°C outside and 28.4°C in the inside. It is more work to cool down 2 Xeon's running at 3 GHz Wink
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:53:55 PM by konran » Logged

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
jabbawok

« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

When I ask mine to sleep, there is a good 30 seconds before it goes to sleep, when it wakes the fans spin like mad for a wile. If i shutdown it KPs.

sound the sam as yours?

Not identical. The KP's on shutdown, yes. When I send mine to sleep it will do immediately - but I was waiting before doing it until all system activity is near zero, no more Spotlight indexing etc. So this could make a difference for the point of time when it goes to sleep. After wakeup I only have high fan spinning when I wake it up nearly immediately after sending it to sleep. The fan RPM's after wakeup depend on the CPU/system temperature. With 12A206j build I waited more than 30 minutes after letting the Mac go to sleep when I woke it up. So I had only 500 RPM's CPU fan spinning. I tried it with an earlier update of 10.8 and made a sleep/wakeup sequence with only 1 minute time in between. In this case I had about 1100 RPM's CPU fan spinning with a slow decreasing curve.

I think that fan spinning is a normal behaviour while doing KP's on shutdown is not...

I'll have a go at letting it sleep for an hour or two and see if I get high speed fans.
Is there any way of diagnosing the KP from logs, so as to work out what may be to blame?

MacPro 4,1 updated to 5,1 - W3690 -  - 32GB ram - 256GB NVME SSD
konran

« Reply #332 on: May 24, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »

Is there any way of diagnosing the KP from logs, so as to work out what may be to blame?

May be this one How to locate your Console log could help...

On Lion it was a bit easier because there is a kernel.log and system.log file in /var/log directory. Unfortunately there is no kernel.log file on ML DP3 build 12A206j. I've found one entry in /var/log/zzz.log (which also can be seen with the Console app):
Code:
Thu May 24 18:06:22 201 [SleepServicesD] /SourceCache/SleepServicesD_executables/SleepServicesD-1.39/SleepServicesD/PowerStateTracker.m:129 Platform not supported
... but I'm not sure if this is all of it Sad

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
antimagik
Not Newbie

« Reply #333 on: May 26, 2012, 04:47:12 AM »

hullo lads,

i've got me 64bit kernel booting working on my 1,1 and fixed my sleep issues with the DSDT fixes at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273369.

However, my IDE cable for the dvd drive is faulty and had been replaced with SATA cables connected to the motherboard. Problem is now I can't get my system to recognise the dvd drive in 64bit mode and the Intel ESB2 AHCI controller is not detected. Any ideas how to fix this?
andystubbs

« Reply #334 on: May 26, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »

Not sure if it will help but have you tried installing AHCIPortInjector.kext ?
antimagik
Not Newbie

« Reply #335 on: May 26, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »

Aye, it's in my extensions folder.
electropura718

« Reply #336 on: May 26, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

hullo lads,

i've got me 64bit kernel booting working on my 1,1 and fixed my sleep issues with the DSDT fixes at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273369.

However, my IDE cable for the dvd drive is faulty and had been replaced with SATA cables connected to the motherboard. Problem is now I can't get my system to recognise the dvd drive in 64bit mode and the Intel ESB2 AHCI controller is not detected. Any ideas how to fix this?

If you have a look at my DSDT that I posted a few pages back, it has the ODD SATA port fix in it.  Your internal SATA ports will function normally with my fix.   I have an internal BluRay burner running just fine off the motherboard SATA port.   Don't use Grammataki's fix, as he made an error with his, which will cause anything connected to them to read as a removable external drive with orange icons.

RunesOfMagic
Not Newbie

« Reply #337 on: May 26, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »

@electropura718
I started with a DSD from the thread (not yours), but i got those orange icons. So i decided to to build my own file, dumping the origin file from my own MacPro 2,1 (flashed 1,1). I used DSDT Editor, with includes the latest iasl from may, 18.
Just a question about your posted DSDT.aml file (md5sum 91703f49c5f8cd4bf7405d5097500410). I checked your file with the mentioned editor, and compared some of the fixes to the one's Grammataki's posted.  The difference regarding the ODD Sata ports was clear, but i saw that none of the three /* IRQNoFlags */-fixes was included, e.g they are still in the code.

Is this true or is something wrong with the iasl?

Best regards, Runes

electropura718

« Reply #338 on: May 27, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »

@electropura718
I started with a DSD from the thread (not yours), but i got those orange icons. So i decided to to build my own file, dumping the origin file from my own MacPro 2,1 (flashed 1,1). I used DSDT Editor, with includes the latest iasl from may, 18.
Just a question about your posted DSDT.aml file (md5sum 91703f49c5f8cd4bf7405d5097500410). I checked your file with the mentioned editor, and compared some of the fixes to the one's Grammataki's posted.  The difference regarding the ODD Sata ports was clear, but i saw that none of the three /* IRQNoFlags */-fixes was included, e.g they are still in the code.

Is this true or is something wrong with the iasl?

Best regards, Runes

It's true. I did not perform the other fixes.  They did not seem necessary.  I think they are only needed on a non apple motherboard.  I only performed the SATA fix and the internal audio fix.
armdn

« Reply #339 on: May 29, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

I'm not agree with you, Real Time Clock and Timer fixes needed to make time correct. PIC also used in Mac Pro, so needed to be fixed too. USB, agree, optional, i have some hardware that prevents sleep anyway, so i'm personally does not needed in sleep. But the others...
antimagik
Not Newbie

« Reply #340 on: May 29, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »

If you have a look at my DSDT that I posted a few pages back, it has the ODD SATA port fix in it.  Your internal SATA ports will function normally with my fix.   I have an internal BluRay burner running just fine off the motherboard SATA port.   Don't use Grammataki's fix, as he made an error with his, which will cause anything connected to them to read as a removable external drive with orange icons.

lifesaver. thank you!
Mr. Zarniwoop

« Reply #341 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »

Real Time Clock and Timer fixes needed to make time correct. PIC also used in Mac Pro, so needed to be fixed too.

What would be the issues if those aren't patched in the DSDT?  I ask because many of us have been running without those for a while with no obvious problems...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:08:44 PM by Mr. Zarniwoop » Logged

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - MSI R9 280X Gaming 3GB (w/Mac EFI firmware) - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
electropura718

« Reply #342 on: May 30, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »

Real Time Clock and Timer fixes needed to make time correct. PIC also used in Mac Pro, so needed to be fixed too.

What would be the issues if those aren't patched in the DSDT?  I ask because many of us have been running without those for a while with no obvious problems...

Agreed.  I see no evidence of any issues related to this, but perhaps I am not looking properly.  Not claiming to be an expert in DSDT.  My system appears to be functioning properly in every way, and i have been using it for my primary work machine for quite a long time.  The SATA and audio fixes were obvious and absolutely necessary, but since Apple uses a custom motherboard, its hard to say if all the fixes commonly used in Hackintoshes are absolutely needed.

FWIW, I have not had the sleep issues that some others have had, either...under Lion, anyway.  I refuse to debug issues the the Mountain Lion developer previews.  It's still too early to start trying to fix stuff on your own, when the OS is still full of bugs and not ready for release. 

Mr. Zarniwoop

« Reply #343 on: May 30, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »

FWIW, I have not had the sleep issues that some others have had, either...under Lion, anyway.

Same here, sleep works fine for me with legacy mode Chameleon/64-bit kernel Mac OS X Lion 10.7 booting.  I use the DSDT you posted (which did not include the IRQ removal typical for Hackintosh PCs) with one modification: added patches to enable HDMI audio on my 4890.

Really, the only downsides I can see so far with Chameleon booting vs. native:

• longer legacy mode boot times
  • cannot boot from USB/Firewire devices
  • Chameleon assumes a Hackintosh PC so it fakes the NVRAM (have looked at the code to see if the real NVRAM could be available by disabling the fake NVRAM)

I view all of these as somewhat minor.

The upsides:

• Mac OS X 64-bit kernel and extensions (and therefore presumably running Mountain Lion once it ships)
  • almost any Hackintosh PC graphics card supported (albeit by treating the Mac Pro as a Hackintosh PC which can mean patched kexts or other "fun" things)
  • extend the useful life of an old Mac that can still Geekbench at 11000 with an appropriate CPU
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:51:26 PM by Mr. Zarniwoop » Logged

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - MSI R9 280X Gaming 3GB (w/Mac EFI firmware) - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
jabbawok

« Reply #344 on: May 30, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »

FWIW, I have not had the sleep issues that some others have had, either...under Lion, anyway.

Same here, sleep works fine for me with legacy mode Chameleon/64-bit kernel Mac OS X Lion 10.7 booting.  I use the DSDT you posted (which did not include the IRQ removal typical for Hackintosh PCs) with one modification: added patches to enable HDMI audio on my 4890.

Really, the only downsides I can see so far with Chameleon booting vs. native:

• longer legacy mode boot times
  • cannot boot from USB/Firewire devices
  • Chameleon assumes a Hackintosh PC so it fakes the NVRAM (have looked at the code to see if the real NVRAM could be available by disabling the fake NVRAM)

I view all of these as somewhat minor.

The upsides:

• Mac OS X 64-bit kernel and extensions (and therefore presumably running Mountain Lion once it ships)
  • almost any Hackintosh PC graphics card supported (albeit by treating the Mac Pro as a Hackintosh PC which can mean patched kexts or other "fun" things)
  • extend the useful life of an old Mac that can still can Geekbench at 11000 with an appropriate CPU
How did you enable hdmi audio. I'd like to do it on my 5770?

MacPro 4,1 updated to 5,1 - W3690 -  - 32GB ram - 256GB NVME SSD
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: