netkas.org forum
May 26, 2019, 10:57:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1166585 times)
konran

« Reply #225 on: April 21, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »

I used VMware disk image mounter to mount the Mountain Lion VMware disk and the SuperDuper to clone it to a physical disk.

Well, this did really sound like a big deal - unfortunately I've seen the VMware disk mount utility on VMware pages only as a part of the VDDK 5.0.0. The availability for VDDK is Windows and Linux. So how do you use this tool to clone your ML virtual machine vdsk to a HFS+ volume? (On a Mac of course...)

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
electropura718

« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »

Here's what I did to get my system working with the 64 bit kernel in both Lion and Mountain Lion DP3.  Hopefully I have not forgotten or misremembered anything….

The Machine:

Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly a 1,1)
8 x 3 GHZ Xeon  32 GB RAM
(when running EFI 32, I had an ATI 4670, now have an unflashed PC version of Nvidia Geforce 470)

Download the files in MacEFIRom's original post at the start of this thread.  I will also post my modified files, that suit my particular setup and hardware.  You may need to modify them if your hardware is different than mine.

1) Formatted a drive with two partitions, using MBR, HFS+ Journaled.  One small partition (1GB) named "Boot" for the boot loader.  The rest used for storage space, but is not my main Mac OS install.  This drive is installed in the drive bay closest to the back of the machine.  My Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 install is in the drive bay closest to the front of the machine.

2) Installed Chimera 1.9.1.   Base install only.  This is instead of the original suggestion to use Chameleon 2.0 RC2-r640.   (Chimera 1.9.1 supports Mountain Lion and can support multiple Nvidia cards with Graphics Enabler=YES)  Chimera is a variant of Chameleon.

3) Copy MacEFIRom's smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Boot/Extra on the Boot partition. If this directory does not yet exist, create it.

4) Performed the following modifications on smbios.plist

<key>SMproductname</key>
        <string>MacPro2,1</string>
        <key>SMsystemversion</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
        <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
        <string>3000</string>
        <key>SMsystemboard</key>
        <string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>
        <key>SMbiosversion</key>
        <string>MP21.88Z.007F.B06.0707021348</string>
        <key>SMcputype</key>
        <string>1026</string>
        <key>SMserial</key>
        <string>YOUR SERIAL NUMBER HERE</string>

Performed the following modifications on org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(3,2)</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1200x32</string>    
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string></string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>2</string>

6) Add the attached DSDT file to Boot/Extra.  Without this DSDT file, your built in audio and extra internal SATA ports on the motherboard (if you are using them) will cease to function.  If you want to delve into what I did in the DSDT file, you can open it in a program called DSDTSE and compare to your unmodified extracted DSDT from your motherboard.  Thanks to Grammataki for pointing me in the right direction for this stuff.

5) Bless the new partition using Terminal

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacy

6) Reboot.  You should be booting with the 64 bit kernel.  

If you want to return to the normal EFI32 boot, use the System Preferences>Startup Volume. To boot the 64 bit kernel again, issue the above terminal command again.

If everything is running well, and you want to install Mountain Lion DP3 on another drive, follow the procedure  I will detail in subsequent posts.   I would not use a Developer Preview as my main OS.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for their contributions.  Thanks to MacEFIRom for starting it all.  He did the bulk of the work in making this a viable option.  Thanks to Grammataki for pointing me in the right direction on DSDT.

* Extra.zip (9.61 KB - downloaded 362 times.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:41:53 AM by electropura718 » Logged
electropura718

« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2012, 06:34:41 AM »

Guys,

I found a way to install Mountain Lion DP 3 without going through VMWare.  In addition, you can do an upgrade install of a Lion system or a clean install.  Your choice.  You will have to create a temporary partition on a physical hard drive for the installer to run from, as Chameleon can't boot from a USB drive on a genuine Mac.   I used an 8GB partition.  You can get rid of it and reclaim the space after you install.

I will post complete directions tomorrow.  It's after 1 am in NYC, where I am...so I'll just briefly describe how I did it right now.

I copied the Base System.dmg from ML InstallESD to my desktop. Using Disk Utility, I converted it into a sparse image bundle and resized it to 8GB.

I copied the OSInstall.mkpg from the InstallESD Packages folder to my desktop and modified it to accept the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 and added the correct board ID.  I deleted the symbolic link to the Packages folder on the Installer and copied the actual Packages folder from the InstallESD in its place.  I replaced the OSInstall.mkpg in the Packages folder with my modified one.   I then cloned the modified Base System.sparsebundle to the temporary drive partition.  

Reboot.  Hit any key during the Chimera/Chameleon startup for boot options.  I selected the temporary partition to boot from instead of my Lion system.   Booting continues to the Mountain Lion Installer and I proceed without a hitch.

Probably sounds more complicates than it was.  Will post complete instructions tomorrow.  This is a much more viable way to install....it's actually mimicking what the ML installer does before the reboot on a supported system.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:01:07 AM by electropura718 » Logged
Peloche

« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2012, 08:49:49 AM »

Did you try ML DP3 ?
I've tried ML DP3 with same method as ML DP2 from electropura718, stuck at:

Sandbox: sandboxd(181) deny file-write-create /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/com.apple.Coresymbolication
Sandbox: sandboxd(181) deny file-write-create /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/com.apple.CoresymbolicationTMP-TJyjn6Dm
Ethernet [Intel8254x]: Link up on en1, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug (792d,6f08,0de1 ,0e00,45e1 , 4000)
USBF :   86.573 AppleUSBEHCI[0xffffff801a060000] : : UIMCreateBulkTransfer - allocateIDs (adr=6:5(in)) returned error e000404f
Resetting IOCatalogue
Sandbox: sandboxd(181) deny file-write-create /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/com.apple.Coresymbolication
Sandbox: sandboxd(181) deny file-write-create /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C/com.apple.CoresymbolicationTMP-5GXUkbkx

Works,

Made exotic kexts for HD4890 (ATI4800Controller.kext, ATIRadeonX2000.kext)

Then:

cd /Volumes/YourVolume/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo su -

chmod -R 755 ATI4800Controller.kext

chown -R 0:0 ATI4800Controller.kext

chmod -R 755 ATIRadeonX2000.kext

chown -R 0:0 ATIRadeonX2000.kext

ML DP2 was working without this exotic files but showing 10 Mb GC memory only, ML DP3 doesn't.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/349207/Exotic-4890-ML-DP3-zip.html

CoolerMaster HAF932
PS Enermax MODU87+ 600W
ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
i7 930,2,8 GHz;Noctua NH-U12P SE2
DDR3 6 x 2 Go PC3-10666 CAS 7 XMS 3 Corsair
SSD 64 GB C300 Crucial CTFDDAC064MAG
WD1500ADFS;HDT722525DLA380;ST3500630AS
Seagate Momentus XT 750 Go
NVidia GTX670 2Gb
10.8.-WIN8-64
electropura718

« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »

Here you go....hope I have not forgotten anything.  Post with questions if something isn't clear.

Procedure to install Mountain Lion DP 3 (modified installer---no virtual machine needed)

You will need the following free software to do this mod, in addition to the MacOSX Mountain Lion InstallESD:

Tinker Tool (or any software that allows you to see hidden files)
XCode
Carbon Copy Cloner (or Super Duper)
DMG Converter

1) Enable "Show hidden and system files" using Tinker Tool or other software that does this.  After you finish installing you can turn this off again.

2) Mount the disk image of Mountain Lion DP3.  You should be able to see the hidden BaseSystem.dmg.  Drag it to your desktop to copy it.

3) BaseSystem.dmg is read only, so we will need to fix that.  We will also need to make it larger.
     Download DMGConverter, if you don't already have it.  Convert it to Sparse Bundle Disk Image
     8 GB in size.

4) Back on the Mac OSX Mountain Lion Install ESD, find the OSInstall.mpkg within the Packages         folder.  Drag it to your desktop to copy it.  

5)Right click on it.  If you have Xcode installed, you should have the option to open it with Flat Package Editor.

6)When opened in Flat Package Editor, you should see a file called Distribution.  Drag it to your desktop to copy it.

7)Open "Distribution"  with Text Edit.  Find the Platform Support section of this file.  You are going to add the board ID for your Mac Pro 1,1 to the end of the list.  Mine was "Mac-F4208DC8".  You can verify yours using this command in Terminal

"ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id"

8)Close your file.  Delete the Distribution file in OSInstall.mpkg and replace it with your modified one.

9) Mount the BaseSystem.sparsebundle you created.  

10)  Go to System/Installation and delete the symbolic link to the Packages folder.  Copy the actual Packages folder from the MacOSX Install ESD in its place.

11)  Inside the Packages folder, replace the OSInstall.mpkg with the new modified one you just made.

12) Copy the mach kernel from the InstallESD to root level of BaseSystem.sparsebundle

13) Using Disk Utility, create a small partition…8 GB in size on any internal hard drive in your system.  I used the drive I was intending to install Mountain Lion on (I devoted all the rest of the space to a second partition for that.  No special formatting…just HFS+, GUID. I named the 8GB Partition "Installer" and the large partition "Mountain Lion DP3 Test".  You can call them anything you like.

14) Using Carbon Copy Cloner, clone the BaseSystem.sparsebundle to the Installer partition.

15) Reboot.  Hit any key during the Chimera/Chameleon startup to enter boot options. Select to boot from the Installer partition instead of your normal Lion boot drive.

16) If all goes well, the Mountain Lion installer launches and you can proceed with the installation as if you had a supported machine.  After you install, it will ask you if you want to copy your Apps and User accounts and settings from your Lion install.

17) There is no step 17, unless you want to delete the installer partition to regain the lost space.  You can do that with Disk Utility.

This way of installing basically mimics the way Mountain Lion actually installs on a supported machine.  On a supported machine, when you first launch the installer, it creates a temporary partition and copies the necessary files to it and then reboots your system from it.  You are basically doing this part manually, with a modified installer that includes your board ID in Platform Support.

Good Luck.  Worked like a charm for me.  I may also try to do this using a DVD instead of creating a temporary partition. It appears Chameleon can boot from a DVD in boot options.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:30:28 PM by electropura718 » Logged
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »

Great     electropura718

THANK YOU
electropura718

« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »

Great     electropura718

THANK YOU

Patida, I forgot a step. Please refresh and re-read my post.  I just edited it with the missing step included.

patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »

electropura718

which cpus do you use (8 x 3 GHZ Xeon)

intel 56…

any heat problems with the cpus ?

Thanks for all your information !

nick
electropura718

« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2012, 08:08:25 PM »

electropura718

which cpus do you use (8 x 3 GHZ Xeon)

intel 56…

any heat problems with the cpus ?

Thanks for all your information !

nick

I upgraded the original Mac 1,1 processors to X5365's (8x3.0), upgraded firmware to make the machine a 2,1.
No heat problems at all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:51:53 PM by electropura718 » Logged
Hooper
Not Newbie

« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2012, 12:19:53 AM »

Electropura: excellent guide, thank uvm again ! Worked like a charm on my mac-pro 1,1 same board ID as yours  Smiley
jabbawok

« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »

I used   mounter to mount the  VMware disk and the SuperDuper to clone it to a physical disk.

Well, this did really sound like a big deal - unfortunately I've seen the VMware disk mount utility on VMware pages only as a part of the VDDK 5.0.0. The availability for VDDK is Windows and Linux. So how do you use this tool to clone your ML virtual  vdsk to a HFS+ volume? (On a  of course...)

As you say it's no longer included with VMWare Fusion 4.x however you can download VMWare Fusion 3 from their site and it's with that (may be inside the package). It comes with the tech' preview but The version that came with that (e.x.p) doesn't work for some reason.

MacPro 4,1 updated to 5,1 - W3690 -  - 32GB ram - 256GB NVME SSD
SirVikon
Not Newbie

« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2012, 08:21:56 PM »

@electropura78

do i need to boot my Mac 2,1 (formerly 1,1) with the 64bit kernel? Do i have to do the chameleon stuff? Or will i only do the 16 steps (step 17 is not necessary for me)?
jabbawok

« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »

@electropura78

do i need to  my  2,1 (formerly 1,1) with the 64bit ? Do i have to do the chameleon stuff? Or will i only do the 16 steps (step 17 is not necessary for me)?

Yes. The  1,1 and 2,1 are EFI32. Chameleon emulates EFI64. 10.8 will only boot from EFI64.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:58:27 PM by jabbawok » Logged

MacPro 4,1 updated to 5,1 - W3690 -  - 32GB ram - 256GB NVME SSD
SirVikon
Not Newbie

« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »

Thanks ... now i am in 64bit (on Lion) and want to do step 5 and 6. I have downloaded Xcode in Appstore but i haven't got the flat package editor Sad
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »

btw, anyone got chameleon working on macpro3,1?
it reboots here when reading data from partitions.

Too lazy to debug it for now.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: