netkas.org forum
May 26, 2019, 11:05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1166600 times)
electropura718

« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2012, 04:38:38 AM »

I'm thinking this thread is gotten a bit off track with very specialized setups and graphics cards.  Perhaps one of us needs to recap step by step instructions to get someone up and running with Lion and Mountain Lion.   Its actually rather easy to get a basic setup running smoothly, especially now that the audio and internal SATA issues can be solved with DSDT or other means.  You'd never know it though, trying to wade through all the posts pertaining to unusual setups and exotic video cards.

patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »

electropura718

absolutely share your opinion  "I'm thinking this thread is gotten a bit off track with very specialized setups and graphics cards"

don't forget this thread is about

"Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro"

Kiss
jabbawok

« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »

I disagree.
The whole point of getting this working is to extend the life of the EFI32 Mac Pros.
If the poster before is indeed trying to get his Mac Pro to boot with 64 bit Kernel and Extensions then this is a relevant thread irrespective of his non-vanilla graphics card.
While I agree its a pain to have to trawl through a 14 page thread and pick out the information you need to achieve the specific task you have set out to, the value of all this extra information is well worth it. Indeed many people are trying to get this working for Lion, which will not work with the stock graphics card the Mac Pro 1,1 shipped with so putting a PC graphics card in is a reasonable thing to do when apple are asking £200 for the 5770.

I think it may be a good idea for the OP to amend the first post with all the new info that has been added over time if he hasn't all ready.

MacPro 4,1 updated to 5,1 - W3690 -  - 32GB ram - 256GB NVME SSD
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »

jabbawok

i agree

"value of all this extra information (14 pages) is well worth it"   

cause you really need the information all together.    Wink

electropura718

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »

jabbawok

i agree

"value of all this extra information (14 pages) is well worth it"   

cause you really need the information all together.    Wink

Oh.... I agree... The info is all useful, but I think the thread has become so long and varied now that someone new would have trouble following what they need to do to get up and running.   If I have time, maybe I will write a step by step of what I did, and maybe someone (or a few others) with a more exotic setup can do the same.  Will help us all troubleshoot if it's all documented.  This is basically the world's entire known repository of knowledge for running the 64 bit kernel on the 2006-7 Mac Pros.  We should do what we can to keep it making sense.
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »

this is the way everything worked for me

apple 8800 gt is installed in bay 1 (nearest to ground)

1.) install VMware fushion tech preview
       2.) install mountain lion DP2 in Vmware
       3.) Use Carbon Copy Cloner inside Vmware to clone mountain lion outside your VM to a (. dmg image) on your lion desktop

4.) Now use Carbon Copy inside lion (not in the VM) to clone the mountain lion (.dmg) image to a physical drive

Note: my lion productive system is divided in two parts (lion system on a SSD - user account outsourced on a 1TB HDD)

5.) install chameleon on a 1 gig partition on a HDD in Bay 1 (frontmost) use the terminal command 

rm /Volumes/Boot/boot                                                                                                To delete the original boot file

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacyto                  tell your mac next start should be in 64 bit mode.

6.) shut down your mac
       7.) take the apple 8800gt out off your mac and replace it with a evga gtx 570 or whatever pc card you like
       8.) Restart your mac in mountain lion

9.) use migration assistant to migrate your osx lion data if you like
      10.) make a link inside mountain lion to your outsourced home folder

9.) and 10.) takes about 10 minutes to change the clean mountain lion install to the former status of your lion productive system.

nick
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »

if you want to install for example evga gtx 470/480/570/580 (reference design) graphics cards (and others) you have to                              link to the forum       http://goo.gl/2fMU8

1.)  put the device ID of gtx 570/580 to the file "<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>"

you will find the ID if you put the card in a win machine or on the bootcamp side of your mac. Have a look her in the grafic infos
          Usually the ID is 1081 of gtx 570 or 1084 of gtx580

2.)  You will find the the file "<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key> under "Your Macintosh HD" /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGF100Hal.kext

3.)  Right click here on "NVDAGF100Hal.kext"

- show packet contents
             - open Folder Contents
             - open file "Info.plist" with Text Wrangler

4.)   Here you get :

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
         <string>
            0x06c010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
            0x0dc010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
            0x0e2010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
            0x0ee010de&amp;0xffe0ffff
            0x0f0010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
            0x104010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
            0x124010de&amp;0xffc0ffff
            0x108110de&amp;0xffc0ffff
         </string>

5.)   In "IOPCIPrimaryMatch"  add the Line "0x108110de&amp;0xffc0ffff"      at the end.

1081 here is the graphic cards ID

6.)   save the file

7.) download "Kext utility.app"

8.) Install supported "ATY_Init.kext "        http://goo.gl/MGuUC       by dragging in "Kext utility.app"

9.) Install supported the modded "GeforceGLDriver.bundle"      http://goo.gl/PKwD0        by dragging it in "Kext utility.app"

"Kext utility.app" will automatically repair your permissions on your "Your Macintosh HD"

10.) Restart your mac … After that gtx 570 will appear under "about this mac / more info /Systeminfo/ grafic display

Hint: use a apple efi card to get the apple boot screen (7300 gt or 8800 gt)
              after installing gtx 570 you can use boot champ … meaning you don't need the apple efi card any more inside your mac
              but keep this card … it helps !
konran

« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »

5.) install chameleon on a 1 gig partition on a HDD in Bay 1 (frontmost) use the terminal command 

rm /Volumes/Boot/boot                                                                                                To delete the original boot file

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacyto                  tell your mac next start should be in 64 bit mode.

Hi Nick,

good idea that you made a summary here. Unfortunately step 5.) will not work! After rm'oving the boot file you can't bless it because it has been gone. In the original post on page 1 of this thread macEFIRom advised to copy his boot file from thread's attachment to the /Volumes/Boot folder after removing the original one.

Due to my experiences Chameleon 2.1svn r1820 and r1897 with ML DP2 support mentioned explicitely here work OOB - means: no replacement of the boot file.

I have r1897 working with Chameleon standard theme and ML DP2 support on an unpatched MacPro1,1 (indeed there was no need to put the 2,1 firmware on it unless I don't make a CPU upgrade or anything else that my MacPro has to look like a 2,1 fashion model). I have not found anything really reasonable for firmware upgrading my MacPro as there is mentioned no specific performance gain. And at last: if Apple drops support for older MacPro's the 1,1 is out and the 2,1 as well.

Also one positive test: I had a nVidia GTX 285 PC card from XFX in spare that I tried on my original MacPro1,1 and it worked great! I used the ATY_init.kext from netkas with several mods from netkas' thread specifically for the GTX 285. I updated the nVidia graphics drivers to current in Snow Leopard and Lion as well. In ML DP2 there was no update possible as the drivers in DP2 are more recent than the latest Lion drivers. I had everything working, three Mac OS X'es, openCL, LuxRender, CUDA, etc. - but switching between the OS'es during boot is sometimes tricky when you have a black screen at that moment. So momentarily the GTX 285 is offline again and replaced by a 8800 GTS (Mac FW patched to appear as a 8800 GT with timing values for a GTS) until I get a repaired QuadroFX 4500 for further tests. Anyway, testing the GTX 285 showed me an interesting effect: for the first three reboots I forgot to activate Chameleon and didn't realize what happened (because the screen was black...). After really only some seconds after the boot chime I had the Lion login screen. I couldn't believe that a faster GPU has such an impact when I think there isn't much to do for a GPU...

A suggestion for this thread, besides it is important to have the facts together (and I saved all 14 pages to my disk - so I have it all Wink ):
It could be a good thing to open a new thread with specific issues for all GPU related questions (and answers as well). So, booting the old Mac Pro's is one aspect but configuring a non-standard graphics card to get it working with Chameleon or other methods is slightly different. What do you think?

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »

Thanks konran

dont remove boot file in step 5.)

konran     for reboot you could try bootchamp (i don't mean bootcamp !)       http://goo.gl/bFgQY

Thanks for reading over my summary  … didn't have the time to read it twice

if you have a look in the aty_init.kext and the driver bundle I mentioned you will recognize that there are much more graphics cards supported by netkas.

nick

Mr. Zarniwoop

« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »

I'm thinking this thread is gotten a bit off track with very specialized setups and graphics cards.

I almost posted in a different thread for the reasons you mention, but I kept it here thinking someone with a Mac Pro trying to get a 4890 working using a 64-bit kernel might look here.  I may just summarize in a new thread the steps for the SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB as I'd guess it's likely the same for a Hackintosh too.

I resorted to OS X hacking to get both my displays to work in Lion.  One display is the Apple Cinema Display 30-Inch (dual-link DVI) on the card's DVI port, the other is an old Apple Cinema Display HD 23-Inch (ACD) with an ACD-to-DVI adapter and DVI-to-HDMI adapter plugged into the card's HDMI port.  To get my SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB work with my Mac Pro in Legacy Mode Chameleon/64-bit kernel boot I needed GraphicsEnabler=Yes, AtiConfig=MotMot (probably not necessary, as the device ID seems to default to that), and then the last bit of magic was editing the ATI personalities inside ATI4800Controller.kex, which I learned from mucha's post on InsanelyMac.  It appears that the MotMot ATI personality/frame buffer on Lion is set up for DVI and DisplayPort, but not HDMI.  So, I edited the DP personality from:

00 04 00 00 04 01 00 00 00 01 00 00 10 00 02 03

to change it to an HDMI personality:

00 08 00 00 04 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 20 00 02 02

The values:

00 80 00 00 (0x800) = connector-type (HDMI)
04 02 00 00 (0x204) = ATY,ControlFlags (had to boot up in native EFI32 and use IORegistryExplorer to see what it was looking for, 0x200 did not work)
00 01 (0x01) = features ("internal", just kept it the same)
00 00 (0x00) = unknown (couldn't find it documented, just kept it the same)
20 (0x20) = transmitter (UNIPHYB/linkb=true reported by redsock_bios_decoder from my card's ROM dump on INTERNAL_UNIPHY)
00 (0x0) = encoder (DIG1/DIGA, kept the same, this differs from redsock's output but 0x1 causes a conflict with DVI)
02 (0x2) = hot plug ID (2 for port 2?, just kept it the same)
02 (0x2) = sense ID (reported by radeon_bios_decode, available on bcc9's post on InsanelyMac)

Near as I can tell, everything works on both displays (QE/CI, DVD Player, etc.).  And, I can't get all the bits and pieces working under native EFI32 boot, as it seems to need Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler to load ATI4800Controller.  I just donated $10 each to netkas and Cindori for the utilities and posts which helped me tremendously.  If MacEFIRom takes donations I owe him as well for the Chameleon on Mac Pro instructions.

I forgot to mention that the SAPPHIRE HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB physically doesn't fit in slot 1 in a Mac Pro, the only one that supports x16 PCIe speeds.  Because of the added DDR5 memory, it has memory chips on the bottom of the card, and it comes with a heat sink on them which physically blocks it from fitting in a Mac Pro.  I carefully removed the heatsink, making sure to leave the heatsink thermal transfer tape on the card on the memory.  With the card in slot 1, the tape perfectly makes good contact with the Mac Pro's aluminum memory cage.  So basically, it's using the Apple Mac Pro aluminum cage as its heatsink.

The card under benchmark stress does spin up, although really quietly compared to the older Apple ATI X1900 XT.  I've left it stressed, running benchmarks overnight, including running overclocked in Windows.  So, it seems like the Apple memory cage makes for a reasonable heatsink.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:21:19 PM by Mr. Zarniwoop » Logged

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - MSI R9 280X Gaming 3GB (w/Mac EFI firmware) - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
konran

« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »

konran     for reboot you could try bootchamp (i don't mean bootcamp !)       http://goo.gl/bFgQY

I'm not able to run BootChamp successfully on my configuration. After testing some things it was obvious why:

- Chameleon is installed on disk in bay 1 (frontmost), MBR, 2nd partition, active, 200 MiB
- Windows 7 x64 is installed on disk in bay 3, GPT, 3rd partition with MBR mapping support
- System-reserved partition with BOOTMGR couldn't be installed on the same disk in bay 3,
  I've tried manually but it wasn't bootable - even not with Chameleon; Windows created
  System-reserved and the Windows boot loader also on disk in bay 1 with MBR native support

In the Mac boot environment it seems that Windows can only boot from the first disk seen because AHCI mode is activated later by a patch in Windows. EFI32 boot doesn't do it per default and Chameleon doesn't as well. So I can't change the partitions for Chameleon and BOOTMGR. But the disk with Chameleon is patched with a boot sector from Chameleon installation. When I overwrite this MBR with the Win7 boot sector Windows boots from that one - but Chameleon can't do anymore. If I use BootChamp it will activate the System-reserved partition ... this is seen by the Mac boot sequence ... it loads the MBR (which belongs to Chameleon), jumps into it, continues with Chameleon boot, opening the default disk which is selected in Chameleon. No automatic boot of Windows possible at all Cry

Could it be a chance to copy all the files from System-reserved to the real Windows 7 partition, activate this one and hopefully boot Windows 7 this way?

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
Mr. Zarniwoop

« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »

In the Mac boot environment it seems that Windows can only boot from the first disk seen because AHCI mode is activated later by a patch in Windows. EFI32 boot doesn't do it per default and Chameleon doesn't as well. So I can't change the partitions for Chameleon and BOOTMGR.

I am not sure there's a first disk restriction to booting Windows.  On my Mac Pro, I have always booted Windows in legacy (BIOS) mode from an MBR disk in bay 2 just using the boot screen disk selector you get when you hold the "option" key.  However, if I boot from Chameleon, I can't boot that disk and it gives a BOOTMGR error.  I haven't dug around to see what it's looking for.

The downside of the boot screen disk selector is that any MBR partition is marked "Windows" and I just remember the first "Windows" volume boots Chameleon/64-bit kernel OS X (now my default boot on my 2006 Mac Pro) and the second "Windows" volume" on the screen boots Windows 7 x64.

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - MSI R9 280X Gaming 3GB (w/Mac EFI firmware) - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
jabbawok

« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2012, 09:19:03 AM »

this is the way everything worked for me

apple 8800 gt is installed in bay 1 (nearest to ground)

1.) install VMware fushion tech preview
       2.) install mountain lion DP2 in Vmware
       3.) Use Carbon Copy Cloner inside Vmware to clone mountain lion outside your VM to a (. dmg image) on your lion desktop

4.) Now use Carbon Copy inside lion (not in the VM) to clone the mountain lion (.dmg) image to a physical drive

I used VMware disk image mounter to mount the Mountain Lion VMware disk and the SuperDuper to clone it to a physical disk.

MacPro 4,1 updated to 5,1 - W3690 -  - 32GB ram - 256GB NVME SSD
Peloche

« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »

Hi all,

Somebody knows why Chameleon doesn't show external drives within the boot list ?

CoolerMaster HAF932
PS Enermax MODU87+ 600W
ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
i7 930,2,8 GHz;Noctua NH-U12P SE2
DDR3 6 x 2 Go PC3-10666 CAS 7 XMS 3 Corsair
SSD 64 GB C300 Crucial CTFDDAC064MAG
WD1500ADFS;HDT722525DLA380;ST3500630AS
Seagate Momentus XT 750 Go
NVidia GTX670 2Gb
10.8.-WIN8-64
znal

« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »

I also noticed Chameleon not showing externel devices. I was trying to create a bootstick for Mac Pro 1,1, based on whats around in this forums and on Insanelymac, OSX86.net, etc. The sticks are not only not showing when I boot the HD with Chameleon, I'm also unable to boot a Chameleon stick other then through EFI. I managed to create a stick that actually boots, but it KP's at startup. Some ACPI kernel panic. I tried to fix it, without succes until now. But still it already get's past the no entry sign and starts booting.
If there is anybody interested in trying to create a bootstick for Mac Pro 1,1, it would be cool to do it together with someone else. I'm relatively new to all things Hackintosh, but I think, with all the stuff and documentation thats already out there it shouldn't be to hard.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: