netkas.org forum
August 23, 2019, 03:24:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1210300 times)
Sascha_77
Not Newbie

« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2012, 09:38:36 PM »

Again my question in short:
Can anyone run a Mac OS X non-server (Lion, ML) virtual machine with Parallels Desktop 7 on an old Mac Pro that is actively booted with Chameleon?

Tested it now ... got an error. In 32Bit Mode no Problem.

MacPro 2,1 (flashed from 1,1 -> 2,1)
2x5355
64Bit-EFI-Emulator (Chameleon)
Working sound with orig. Kext´s
konran

« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »

I don't have Parallels...I have VMWare Fusion and it runs perfectly fine using Chameleon (booting the 64 bit kernel).
Not sure why it would be different with Parallels, as both virtualization programs do pretty much the same thing...but who knows they coded it.

Thanks Smiley
I'll give it a try with VMWare Fusion and see then...

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
konran

« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »

Tested it now ... got an error. In 32Bit Mode no Problem.

Thanks for testing ... I've put a support inquiry to Parallels. Maybe they can give some answer...

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
electropura718

« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »

I don't have Parallels...I have VMWare Fusion and it runs perfectly fine using Chameleon (booting the 64 bit kernel).
Not sure why it would be different with Parallels, as both virtualization programs do pretty much the same thing...but who knows they coded it.

Thanks Smiley
I'll give it a try with VMWare Fusion and see then...

Use the Tech Preview and not the release version with Mountain Lion.  The release version does not work with ML. 
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »

1. where do I get the "org.chameleon.Boot plist" file from or where can I find it ?

2.) where do I have to replace the mac computer serial in the "smbios.plist" file ?

<key>SMserial</key>
         <string>G666666PUPZ</string>

Do i have to replace "SMserial" here with my mac computer serial ?

3.) The 64 bit kernel is needed for installing mountain lion DP2 ?

Huh

Thanks for the help

nick
electropura718

« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »

1. where do I get the "org.chameleon.Boot plist" file from or where can I find it ?

2.) where do I have to replace the mac computer serial in the "smbios.plist" file ?

<key>SMserial</key>
         <string>G666666PUPZ</string>

Do i have to replace "SMserial" here with my mac computer serial ?

3.) The 64 bit kernel is needed for installing mountain lion DP2 ?

Huh

Thanks for the help

nick

You first two questions make it sound like you have not properly installed Chameleon.  Both files live in your Extra folder.  If you are confused, Sasha posted his entire Extra folder a few entries back.  You'll have to enter your serial in the smbios file.  Just open it in Text Edit.  There aren't that many items in the plist.  Should be easy to spot where it goes.

Mountain Lion DP 2, unlike previous releases, does not have a 32 bit kernel.  Since you need to boot from the installer diskj, which only has a 64 bit kernel, installing it is problematic.  Some of us have found that installing it in a virtual machine first (Parallels or VMWare), which does not boot using EFI like a real machine does, gets around that problem.   You just clone the installed system from the virtual drive to a physical drive.  Hackintosh users create their own modified installer disks which boot using Chameleon or Chimera, however since they are made for PC's and not genuine Macs, I have yet to find any that work correctly.  Have not given up on that.
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »

Thanks ! 

at the moment I am running a 120 GB SSD in Bay 1. (two partitions here one for the lion system; user is outsourced on a 1TB HDD - Bay 2 , the second partition on the SSD is for bootcamp; win 7)
  I also use a evga gtx 570 graphics card with modified kexts in lion and also in bootcamp for my graphics work. "Additional I have a original mac 8800 gt graphics card if i need it" … its not build in at the moment,
  cause everything works fine with the modified kexts for evga gtx 570.

I now like to try the following : 1.) make an image (.dmg) from the lion system from the SSD with Carbon Copy Cloner
                                             2.) Restore the image in a VM using the latest Paralells version
                                             3.) Update osx lion to osx mlion in VM (Parallels)
                                             4.) produce an image (.dmg) from the updated VM (mlion)
                                             5.) restore this image on an another physical hdd or restoring it directly to my SSD (partition 1) while booting from another hdd inside the mac - Bay 3

6.) try to boot the restored system with chameleon

Question: A.) will I be able to boot from bootcamp (partition 2 on SSD) cause in the guide here in the forum you need to delete your original boot file ?
                                              B.) will the new bootloader chameleon recognize the bootcamp partition and boot it ?

sorry for my bad english !    Grin

netkas
Administrator

« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »

I remembr fixing trouble with parallels on a hackintosh, parallels was reading some value of nvram, and when u boot macpro with chameleon, it misses whole nvram, so , just set that value with nvram console command and parallels will run fine till reboot, dont remember the exact variable name.
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2012, 09:10:57 PM »

thats true … parallels gives you a  Smiley

1) use vmware as described … parallels changes obviously NVRAM

2.) if you used parallels (latest version supports mlion) type         cmd+alt+O+F       on Systemstart

then reset EFI to Standard Parameters   … may help

type:  reset - NVRAM   Enter
               set - defaults    Enter
                reset - all         Enter

shut - down      Enter

The Restart gives you Standard Parameters in EFI

konran

« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2012, 03:16:28 AM »

I now like to try the following : 1.) make an image (.dmg) from the lion system from the SSD with Carbon Copy Cloner
                                             2.) Restore the image in a VM using the latest Paralells version
                                             3.) Update osx lion to osx mlion in VM (Parallels)
                                             4.) produce an image (.dmg) from the updated VM (mlion)
                                             5.) restore this image on an another physical hdd or restoring it directly to my SSD (partition 1) while booting from another hdd inside the mac - Bay 3

6.) try to boot the restored system with chameleon

This looks to me as if you want to clone your complete productive running Lion into a Mountain Lion. If you think to replace your system later and want to use Mountain Lion as your primary system - the please keep in mind that you cannot do that. ML is a Developer Preview and has its issues. And last but not least Apple will not allow and Developer Preview of this OSX upgrading into the final release. So you would get lost if you delete your old system.

konran

« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »

In the meantime I realized that a very recent release of Chameleon causes the NVRAM data loss. I'm running 2.1svn r1897, made the following test:

- fresh reboot with Chameleon into Lion 10.7.4
- fixed the main missing NVRAM values that I had previously saved in a file
- reboot again with Chameleon
- output of "nvram -p": all variables either missing or reset, boot configuration values missing

I've tested VMware which did not cause the problem. Until now I haven't tested Parallels, I will do. And I think I'll downgrade Chameleon to r1820.

added:
I tested also Parallels Desktop 7 and it doesn't modify the NVRAM. Thus it has to be Chameleon, have to test different svn revisions...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:55:25 PM by konran » Logged

konran

« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »

Use the Tech Preview and not the release version with Mountain Lion.  The release version does not work with ML.

Indeed Mountain Lion DP2 works with VMware Fusion Tech Preview and Lion 10.7.4 does as well, both in 64bit mode of Chameleon. But I hope more that Parallels will solve the 64bit-Problem because performance of Parallels Desktop is significantly better.

gerahdo

« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2012, 08:53:28 PM »

Thanks to MacEFIRom , Sascha_77, Grammataki and all the others for there hard work .
Mac Pro 2.1 , 8 core 3gHz , three partition's ,first Lion second Lion third Snow leopard .
Boot partition is on a second drive second partition  <string>hd(2,4)</string>.
Installed, Chameleon_2.1svn_r1886_trunk_10.8.pkg , edit  the serial number in smbios.plist .
Then I used Grammataki's method to create a DSDT.aml file,
 " http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273369 "
 placed it into the Boot extras folder , sound is working great .

When I have a USB stick inserted it wound mound after reboot I have to reinsert it, then it works  .
The System Profiler reads an ATI Radeon HD 5000 , but it is a Radeon HD 5770 , I hope it doesn't make a difference it is only reading this ?
Thanks a lot ,  it is a big improvement in Apps like FinalCutProX .  64bitHappy ;-) 

Gerahdo: it makes difference, because dvd-player and geek bench won't work ! So all you have to do is set graphics_enabler in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Yes (from No) ! (used textwrangler to edit the line)

Thank you, did it and works great,
Thanks Hooper
konran

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:26 AM »

I've done some more tests ... NVRAM is cleared immediately after reboot with Chameleon - tested 2.1svn revisions:

r1820 (with first 10.8 support patch)
r1897 with 10.8 support
r1908 with 10.8 support does not work with MacPro1,1 - crash on start

patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »

problems … mountain lion DP2 doesn't boot in Chameleon-2.1svn-r1820   whats wrong.  … did also a PRAM reset because of my bootcamp partition

whats wrong ?   Undecided

my                smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <string>Apple Inc.</string>                                                                    1
        <key>SMproductname</key>                                                                  2
        <string>MacPro1,1</string>                                                                     3
        <key>SMsystemversion</key>                                                                 4                                                 
        <string>1.0</string>                                                                               5
        <key>SMsystemboard</key>                                                                    6
        <string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>                                                                 7
        <key>SMbiosversion</key>                                                                        8       
        <string>MP21.88Z.007F.B06.0707021348</string>                                           9
        <key>SMcputype</key>                                                                              10
        <string>1026</string>                                                                                 11
        <key>SMserial</key>                                                                                  12
        <string> "my mac pro serial from about this mac / more info here" </string>        13
</dict>
</plist>

Questions:

A)  is the number  ( Mac-F4208DC89 ) in       line 7     for all mac pros 1.1 identical ?

B)  is the number  (MP21.88Z.007F.B06.0707021348) in     line 9      for all mac pros 1.1 identical

because I have adapted it from the supported smbios.plist (MacEFIRom - first post) ?

C)  "my mac pro serial from about this mac / more info"  in line 13 correct ?

my org.chameleon.Boot.plist  (adapted from MacEFIRom - first post)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Default Partition</key>             14
   <string>hd(1,2)</string>                       15
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string></string>
   <key>Quiet Boot</key>
   <string>No</string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>10</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Question: What does 1,2 mean in line 15 "<string>hd(1,2)</string> "

Does this mean Boot partition with chameleon is on a HDD in Bay 2
                   and bootable system (mountain lion ; 64 for example) on HDD in Bay 1   … I don't think so

Thank You for the support !   
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: