netkas.org forum
August 19, 2019, 10:27:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1208376 times)
konran

« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »

My MacPro 1,1 contains two DVD-drives, and the two mentioned hard drives. Nothing but a keyboard via USB is attached. I have a EFI-flashed AMD Radeon 4890.

I do have an an external slot attached to the 5th and 6th SATA port on the main board, but no drives are attached to this.

The Chameleon revision you mentioned is the last one for which I also downloaded the source code (while the newer r1820 pkg I use did not provide the source code). The string "EBIOS read error" occurs quite some time in disk.c - Chameleon seems to aquire all BIOS int13 devices - however he can do that on a Mac firmware, I don't know. Somewhere in this code file the comments say something on ECC correction ability and so on.

That leads me to my assumption that one of the DVD devices cause the problem - either not compatible with Chameleon or defective/not properly connected ... could also be a HDD, but I don't think so really.

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
Bardioc

« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »

My MacPro 1,1 contains two DVD-drives, and the two mentioned hard drives. Nothing but a keyboard via USB is attached. I have a EFI-flashed AMD Radeon 4890.

I do have an an external slot attached to the 5th and 6th SATA port on the main board, but no drives are attached to this.

The Chameleon revision you mentioned is the last one for which I also downloaded the source code (while the newer r1820 pkg I use did not provide the source code). The string "EBIOS read error" occurs quite some time in disk.c - Chameleon seems to aquire all BIOS int13 devices - however he can do that on a Mac firmware, I don't know. Somewhere in this code file the comments say something on ECC correction ability and so on.

That leads me to my assumption that one of the DVD devices cause the problem - either not compatible with Chameleon or defective/not properly connected ... could also be a HDD, but I don't think so really.

I finally got it working. My primary Lion Disk was previously partitioned to contain a Windows Boot via Boot Camp. It seems, for whatever reason, that Boot Camp configures something within the PRAM even though the Windows partition is long gone.

I simply did a PRAM reset and Chameleon boots up directly, without the previous EBIOS read errors. It would be good to add this to the initial howto, that in case the chameleon boot stucks, the PRAM might be a cause. I know it has been mentioned in between, but not related to the EBIOS errors.

Heiko
electropura718

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2012, 04:39:12 AM »

SUCCESS installing Mountain Lion DP 2 on a Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly 1,1).

As we know, DP 2 does not have a 32 bit kernel to boot the installer with...which makes installing it a bit of a challenge on an EFI 32 machine. 

I had no luck transplanting components from DP1 or Lion and getting the installer to work.  Also had no luck with Hackintosh installers with Chameleon or Chimera.  My Mac would not boot off of a USB or any other media containing the installer.

The only solution I could come up with was installing Mountain Lion DP2 in a VMware Virtual Machine.  Be sure to download the beta called "VMWare Fusion Tech Preview" (Free), which has Mountain Lion support.   VMWare Fusion 4 (current release) does not boot Mountain Lion.  Once installed, I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner within the Mountain Lion Virtual Machine, and cloned it to a DMG.  I then booted back into Lion and cloned the DMG to a physical disk.  Rebooted and selected the new Mountain Lion disk as my boot drive.  Works like a charm.  I would imagine you could do the same thing with Parallels, if you have that.  Of course, if you have a friend with an EFI64 Mac, then you could just do the install on that machine.  But if thats not an option, my method works.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) this a clean install. If I wanted to make this my main drive, I'd have to re-install all my apps and bring my User Folder across.  But it works, and was relatively painless.

I'm sure there is a way to create a Hackintosh style installer that a genuine Mac will boot from, but right now, its above my pay grade.
jvbfilme
Not Newbie

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2012, 07:56:40 AM »

nice! Grin
Rominator

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2012, 08:05:35 AM »

SUCCESS installing Mountain Lion DP 2 on a Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly 1,1).

Rebooted and selected the new Mountain Lion disk as my boot drive.  Works like a charm. 

Quick question...In all of the various layers of VM here....When you say you the above phrase, are you saying that you ran the installer in a VMware environment and now it can boot by itself, or are you booting into Lion, then booting ML inside a VM world?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Hooper
Not Newbie

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2012, 09:02:54 AM »

Thanks to MacEFIRom , Sascha_77, Grammataki and all the others for there hard work .
Mac Pro 2.1 , 8 core 3gHz , three partition's ,first Lion second Lion third Snow leopard .
Boot partition is on a second drive second partition  <string>hd(2,4)</string>.
Installed, Chameleon_2.1svn_r1886_trunk_10.8.pkg , edit  the serial number in smbios.plist .
Then I used Grammataki's method to create a DSDT.aml file,
 " http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273369 "
 placed it into the Boot extras folder , sound is working great .

When I have a USB stick inserted it wound mound after reboot I have to reinsert it, then it works  .
The System Profiler reads an ATI Radeon HD 5000 , but it is a Radeon HD 5770 , I hope it doesn't make a difference it is only reading this ?
Thanks a lot ,  it is a big improvement in Apps like FinalCutProX .  64bitHappy ;-) 

Gerahdo: it makes difference, because dvd-player and geek bench won't work ! So all you have to do is set graphics_enabler in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Yes (from No) ! (used textwrangler to edit the line)
konran

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »

Quick question...In all of the various layers of VM here....When you say you the above phrase, are you saying that you ran the installer in a VMware environment and now it can boot by itself, or are you booting into Lion, then booting ML inside a VM world?

Booting the ML DP2 installer and cloning the installed ML DP2 system to a DMG happens all within a virtual machine. Then you have to be outside the VM (leave or shutdown the VM) to clone the DMG (which has to accessible on a common location for VM and host system) back to a physical HFS+ volume. This has to be because you can't give full writable access permissions on a physical disk into a VM.
The result then is: you have a bootable installed ML DP2 on a physical volume - that hopefully any 64bit capable bootloader like Chameleon can start.

I did it quite similar these days:
I had setup a virtual machine for ML DP2 on a PC in VMware Workstation 8 a few days when DP2 was officially seeded. There are some threads online how to do that on a PC. When I realized that it worked well I had the idea if it would run better or more performant on a real Mac ... but at that time I was not yet convinced to use Chameleon on my Mac. I imported the Vmware VM with Parallels Desktop on my MacPro1,1 - indeed it is running with at least 20% more performance on the Mac even if the Mac has "only" 2 Xeon Dual Core 2.66 GHz and the PC has a Intel i7-860 Quad Core 2.88 GHz (in both cases I gave 2 CPU cores, 2048 MB RAM and 256 MB GPU Memory to the VM).

While this thread was born I also followed to run my MacPro1,1 with Chameleon to boot it in 64bit kernel mode. Besides I didn't make a FW upgrade to 2,1 because for me there is no need to do so. There is no OS that breaks off running between the 1,1 and the 2,1 generation, the line is dropped I think after 3,1. Anyway I looked for a possibility to install Mountain Lion DP 2 on this Mac Pro and also had to realize that a normal installation does not work even if the Lion kernel was booted in 64bit and the valid platform on the installation medium is patched for my board and machine model.

I ended up like this: created HFS+ volume empty for ML DP2, started the ML DP2 virtual machine in Parallels Desktop. The main part in the VM I did run in Terminal, su'd to root and
Code:
# # NOTE: I have root passwords set on the physical system and on the virtual system!
# # that means: "sudo passwd root" at any time before doing this
# cd /
# find . -depth -xdev | cpio -oa | ssh root@myLionMac.fritz.box "cd /Volumes/MLion\ HD; cpio -ivmdu"
So this was my way to access the Mountain Lion's physical disk out of my virtual machine. The commands copy a live running mounted filesystem ... which is cleaned up after the first start. It works fairly well with less issues compared to the virtual machine and I have two monitors running (the VM can't do that).

In the meantime I'm using Chameleon 21.svn r1897 with 10.8 enabler which also works outstanding.

Added:
I forgot to mention that I removed all references to prl and Parallels from the physical filesystem copy of Mountain Lion - thus taking away any kext's, tools, virtual filesystem support, etc. that belongs to Parallels Desktop to keep the OS as a VM alive. Those things are better not seen on a physical running system.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:28:43 PM by konran » Logged

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
electropura718

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »

I installed ML DP2 within the Virtual Machine.  Within the VM, I cloned the entire virtual Macintosh HD using Carbon Copy Cloner.  I cloned it to a .dmg outside of the Virtual Machine, on my Lion Desktop.  I then cloned the dmg to a physical disk.  The result is a totally functional and bootable (with Chameleon) ML installation.  Does that make sense?

It's actually easier than it sounds.  I suppose you can eliminate the .dgm step entirely and clone directly from the virtual machine to a physical disk, but at the time, I thought I might need to tinker with it first.  Turns out it needed no modification to be bootable at all.

I would imagine its possible to clone your Lion install into a VM, and upgrade that to ML, then clone back to a physical disk if you want to do an upgrade install rather than a clean install.  I have not tried that, though.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:41:13 PM by electropura718 » Logged
konran

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2012, 05:41:17 PM »

I suppose you can eliminate the .dgm step entirely and clone directly from the virtual machine to a physical disk,

Yes, I saved the DMG step with my Terminal method written in my previous post. Maybe many people don't like to type shell commands...

I would imagine its possible to clone your Lion install into a VM, and upgrade that to ML, then clone back to a physical disk if you want to do an upgrade install rather than a clean install.

As long as the VM software used for that supports running Lion and ML this is possible. Parallels made their last update of PD 7 compatible to use ML. One advantage of this way is that the VM runs normally always directly in 64bit kernel mode, even if the hosting OS is only booted in 32bit kernel mode. So I can normally run my ML DP2 virtual machine on my Snow Leopard which is booted w/out Chameleon in 32bit kernel mode.

There is one issue with all Mac OS X'es now that I tried booting with Chameleon into 64bit kernel mode:
I can't start any Mac OS X virtual machine which already exists and runs w/out Chameleon via Parallels Desktop. It results in an error of unsupported Mac OS X running on the wrong host system. The same error comes with Chameleon booting in 32bit kernel mode.

Anyone else with this symptome?

Sascha_77
Not Newbie

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2012, 05:49:45 PM »

For all with Audio-Problems and 2 not working onboard SATA-Ports ....

http://ul.to/iglu78jb

here you can leech a complete Backup of my Chameleon-Boot-Partiton (10.8 compatible). Simply change the 2 .plist Files in the Extras Folder and there you go.

Working Audio und the 2 onboard Sata´s. Without hacking. Cheesy Should work well on 1,1 and 2,1 MacPros.

Have phun.

MacPro 2,1 (flashed from 1,1 -> 2,1)
2x5355
64Bit-EFI-Emulator (Chameleon)
Working sound with orig. Kext´s
jabbawok

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »

here you can leech a complete Backup of my Chameleon-Boot-Partiton (10.8 compatible). Simply change the 2 .plist Files in the Extras Folder and there you go.

Working Audio und the 2 onboard Sata´s. Without hacking. Cheesy Should work well on 1,1 and 2,1 MacPros.

Have phun.

Does this keep your UUID? when I tried this before with Lion it messed up my UUID which I think caused problems with messages.

Thanks..

Mac Pro 1,1 with HD4770

MacPro 4,1 updated to 5,1 - W3690 -  - 32GB ram - 256GB NVME SSD
Hooper
Not Newbie

« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2012, 03:34:44 PM »

@ Electropura Tnx x 1000 !! I now have a fully working 10.7.3 & 10.8 (DP2) X86_64 on my mac-pro 1,1 from 2006. Made a copy of Macintosh HD (ML) from within VMware to external USB-drive (image-.dmg), and burned the image back on a HD (HFS+/mbr). Had to use Chameleon-2.1 svn-r1908.pkg on the Boot drive, which already contained the Lion 10.7.3 legacy-partition. I hope final release of ML will also be able to run this way ? Only Apple knows !? :-) And of course many thanks all the others on this forum thread to !!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:36:18 PM by Hooper » Logged
Sascha_77
Not Newbie

« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »

Have phun.

Does this keep your UUID? when I tried this before with Lion it messed up my UUID which I think caused problems with messages.

Thanks..

Mac Pro 1,1 with HD4770

Don´t know. I have no Probs with Messages here.

MacPro 2,1 (flashed from 1,1 -> 2,1)
2x5355
64Bit-EFI-Emulator (Chameleon)
Working sound with orig. Kext´s
konran

« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »

Again my question in short:
Can anyone run a Mac OS X non-server (Lion, ML) virtual machine with Parallels Desktop 7 on an old Mac Pro that is actively booted with Chameleon?

electropura718

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2012, 09:26:15 PM »

I don't have Parallels...I have VMWare Fusion and it runs perfectly fine using Chameleon (booting the 64 bit kernel).
Not sure why it would be different with Parallels, as both virtualization programs do pretty much the same thing...but who knows they coded it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: