netkas.org forum
May 26, 2019, 11:01:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1166593 times)
konran

« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »

It sounded like you had things going well until you started swapping disks around and changing partition schemes...which most people would not do on a regular basis.  If you want to give it another go, you might want to try Ignoring Caches on boot, if you are switching things around.  this is one of the boot options in Chameleon.   I don't think it's really reassigning drive positions randomly.  I've been booting this way for months now, and it's been pretty consistent in its behavior.

Which Chameleon build did you use?
Yes, you're right ... I had 3 successful reboots with Chameleon before I've changed partition scheme and all went wrong after that. And I gave it another go tonight, reduced disks to 3 from bay 1 to bay 3, changed partition scheme on disk in bay 2 to MBR and installed Chameleon there from scratch, set -v and -f flags as boot options. After blessing the new Chameleon two reboots resulted again in "No bootable device" Angry

My Chameleon configuration is exactly the one from MacEFIRom taken from his first post. So it is his boot file, both plist files with customized modifications and Chameleon package from his post - that is:

Chameleon v2.1svn r1478

MacEFIRom said in his post that one should use an older Chameleon and install the bootloader only - than take his boot file. I've not tried anything else.

As I remember from previous posts in this thread you (or someone else...) used Chameleon r1820. Should I retry with a newer revision than I have installed?

Update:
I updated to Chameleon 2.1svn r1820 ... first it didn't run. Now I placed the Chameleon disk into the frontmost bay 1 and it successfully booted. Maybe I mixed that up because I thought the OS disk has to be in the first slot. Well, I hope it will be stable now...

Is there an option to hide the Chameleon disk icon appearing on the desktop? I know it's only cosmetic but it would be fine only having the "regular" disks on the desktop.

Update 2:
I plugged in an USB pen drive for the first time on a 64 bit run ... and got a kernel panic as others in this thread Cry The second attempt to plug it in after reboot did not panic.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:19:41 AM by konran » Logged

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
armdn

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »

Right... 10.7 with GRUB doesn't work at all. So Chameleon is still our all.
konran

« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

Ohh, I've got problems again ... when I was successfully running my MacPro1,1 with Chameleon in 64bit mode I made a USB boot stick with Lion Disk Maker. I just wanted to see if I can boot it w/out modification on Lion sys files through the Chameleon activated 64bit boot process. Unfortunately the USB stick was not seen in the partition list. Since that I realize the mach_kernel not found message reported earlier here. As there is only one bootable partition in my list I can't hit arrow up/down to repair a Chameleon glitch to get the mach_kernel message disappear (also mentioned earlier here).

So again, I have it unbootable with Chameleon for now ... it took me at least 4 reboots and re-blesses to get the normal 32bit mode bak w/out getting stuck to the Chameleon boot loader.

Referencing grammataki and andystubbs on page 4 in this thread I can confirm that drive association of the machine changes sometime. I think the SATA controller is responsible for that, maybe it depends on the time when drives report their ready status and the controller will see a disk as an active device and places it into the numbered list ... or maybe not...

@andystubbs: you say that Chameleon needs to be installed on the disk that's attempted to be the one that's being booted off ... other statements say that Chameleon should be on the first disk on bay 1.

My configuration now is:
- Chameleon 2.1svn r1820 with its boot file and standard theme on MBR disk in bay 1, active partition
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 on GUID disk in bay 2

...and I don't get the mach_kernel problem handled properly. At some time when it will run stable I want to install Lion on a separate disk which will be in bay 4 as bay 3 has a GUID data disk. But my first question is: Is it supposed to run this way according to my configuration mentioned above?

If not, are there any other options?

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
electropura718

« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »

I have my Lion install on the disk at the front of the machine.  My Chameleon install is on a small partition on a disk at the back of the machine.  You can get it to work other ways, but you will have to configure Chameleon, which can be a little confusing.

You cannot boot off of USB or FireWire disks in Legacy mode.  If you need to do this, you must return to 32 bit EFI booting.  Hold down the option key when booting and select the boot disk of your choice.  Your Mac will forget about Chameleon and boot normally. If you want to return to using the 64 bit kernel, re-bless the Chameleon boot partition using the terminal.

This type of setup might not be for you.  You seem like the sort that likes to try to tinker and break things Smiley Nothing wrong with that at all.  Thats how the rest of us learn the pitfalls.  That being said, If you just set it up and leave it alone, it should work fine.  If you want to try booting on all different types of disks and partition schemes, you have to understand you are going to have unforeseen issues.  Very few people on the planet are using Macs in legacy mode with Chameleon...and most of them are posting in this thread. Using this mode in the real world was never intended by Apple.  Even the makers of Chameleon strongly urge you not to use it on a genuine Mac.  Welcome to the bleeding edge.

I just want to get my work done and I need the 64 bit kernel. I can't shell out 4 grand to replace a perfectly good machine right now, just because of the friggin' 32 bit EFI.  For me, it's working well, and is totally stable.  I can spend the 4 grand on my daughter instead.

Note: You will not be able to boot Mountain Lion (from DP2 onward) with normal 32 bit EFI, as it does not have a 32 bit kernel to boot with.  That's why I am struggling to figure out how to create an installer that works, without requiring a second Mac with 64 bit EFI.  I'm finding it's more complex than getting ML installed on a Hackintosh.  Transplanting older components on the ML installer has not worked so far, nor have any Hackintosh installers.  On Snow Leopard and earlier, there was a terminal command that enabled an OSX install without rebooting from the installer disk (provided you are installing on a disk other than your boot disk) but unfortunately it does not seem to work with Lion or Mountain Lion.

konran

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »

I have my Lion install on the disk at the front of the machine.  My Chameleon install is on a small partition on a disk at the back of the machine.  You can get it to work other ways, but you will have to configure Chameleon, which can be a little confusing.

Thanks, that is for sure informative for me. And I assume your Chameleon disk is MBR with Chameleon partition set active?

You cannot boot off of USB or FireWire disks in Legacy mode.  If you need to do this, you must return to 32 bit EFI booting.  Hold down the option key when booting and select the boot disk of your choice.  Your Mac will forget about Chameleon and boot normally. If you want to return to using the 64 bit kernel, re-bless the Chameleon boot partition using the terminal.

FYI, my Lion USB bootable stick prepared by the Lion Disk Maker has GUID partition scheme - so no legacy boot here.

This type of setup might not be for you.  You seem like the sort that likes to try to tinker and break things Smiley Nothing wrong with that at all.  Thats how the rest of us learn the pitfalls.  That being said, If you just set it up and leave it alone, it should work fine.  If you want to try booting on all different types of disks and partition schemes, you have to understand you are going to have unforeseen issues.  Very few people on the planet are using Macs in legacy mode with Chameleon...and most of them are posting in this thread. Using this mode in the real world was never intended by Apple.  Even the makers of Chameleon strongly urge you not to use it on a genuine Mac.  Welcome to the bleeding edge.

Smiley Yes, I see. That those people who're using their old MacPro's that way will be very rare - I could've only assumed that. I just eBay'ed my old MacPro1,1 two weeks ago as I had to leave my PowerMac G5 for now. And I realized that stuff with 32bit EFI and dropped support of these Mac's for all new-outcoming Mac OS'es really too late. I am absolutely happy with my Snow Leopard on one side. On the other side I'm currently developing apps for iPhone and iPad, so I have to make at least one of my systems quite modern and up to date. I could switch my MacBook Pro early 2011 to (Mountain) Lion but on the other hand I will loose support for Rosetta and a handful of programs then. And running another Snow Leopard there virtually is a fact of too small disk space for a portable. That's not what I want at all.

So my fine old MacPro1,1 which I really like should have enough physical power to do it all. My final configuration should have a running Snow Leopard (32bit or 64bit doesn't matter here anyway) and Lion on a second disk, probably Mountain Lion on the Lion disk as well. I have 10.7.4 and 10.8 DP2 already on Parallels Desktop running virtually - but at the end I don't want to make my development that way if it's realizable physically.

Note: You will not be able to boot Mountain Lion (from DP2 onward) with normal 32 bit EFI, as it does not have a 32 bit kernel to boot with.  That's why I am struggling to figure out how to create an installer that works, without requiring a second Mac with 64 bit EFI.

Great! I will always keep an eye here to see if you're succeeding ... and I really hope you will Wink

How did you install your Lion?
Do I need a Snow Leopard clone of my disk to install Lion over it?

For Mountain Lion I think I'll try using the 32bit modified installer as seen here. But maybe that will cause problems with future system updates in the case EFI will be updated in any way...

electropura718

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »

"Thanks, that is for sure informative for me. And I assume your Chameleon disk is MBR with Chameleon partition set active?"

Yes. Its MBR,

"FYI, my Lion USB bootable stick prepared by the Lion Disk Maker has GUID partition scheme - so no legacy boot here."

Ah. I see.  You may still need to boot first using 32 bit EFI, as I described (hold down option key) or your computer may still look for Chameleon to boot with first and just sit there blinking at you or kernel panic.  Not sure. Will have to try...I don't think it will just boot off the USB automatically, since you blessed the Chameleon partition in the terminal.

"For Mountain Lion I think I'll try using the 32bit modified installer as seen here. But maybe that will cause problems with future system updates in the case EFI will be updated in any way..."

That only works for DP1, which still has a 32bit kernel and extensions, even though there was no 32 bit EFI.  There is no 32 bit kernel in DP2 at all.  Not looking good for any 32bit support in the release version, unless Apple has a change of heart.  The only option for running Mountain Lion will be an alternate boot loader, such as Chameleon.
sea_man
Not Newbie

« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »

Hi people !

One little question ...

I have a 1TB HD whit this MBR scheme :

1Gb to Boot partition

200GB NTFS

799 GB NTFS DATA

Is there any way to install windows 7 x64 in the 200GB partition and preserve the boot in this this disk intact ?

Thanks in advance !

My Build: Core i7-3930k - Rampage IV Gene - MSI 7970
konran

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2012, 03:39:03 AM »

"FYI, my Lion USB bootable stick prepared by the Lion Disk Maker has GUID partition scheme - so no legacy boot here."

Oops, here I was wrong - the USB was written with MBR scheme. Anyway I gave up to boot off it. I added my 4th disk to Mac Pro, made it GUID with 1 empty HFS+ partition, installed Lion via Snow Leopard with this USB and let the migration assistant import everything from SL - w/out Chameleon at that point. That worked pretty well.

I re-activated my "sleeping" Chameleon again and now it worked immediately. It seems having improved when 2 OS'es are present. I have graphical GUI and can switch between SL and Lion disk. The only strange thing is:

I tried to tie the Default Partition entry in the com.chameleon.Boot.plist file to my Snow Leopard disk given with diskutil. Chameleon always takes the Lion partition and presents it first on the screen. I looked again with diskutil and realized that the disk letters had changed (w/out changing anything physically to the disks). I applied the new disk/partition number to the plist file and added -f parameter to ignore caches. Same thing, Chameleon shows me Lion and extends the disk list when I press an arrow key.

Any idea for that?

That only works for DP1, which still has a 32bit kernel and extensions, even though there was no 32 bit EFI.  There is no 32 bit kernel in DP2 at all.  Not looking good for any 32bit support in the release version, unless Apple has a change of heart.  The only option for running Mountain Lion will be an alternate boot loader, such as Chameleon.

That sounds reaallly bad...

Beneath that I compared some Xbenches done to Snow Leopard 32bit and 64bit + Lion 32bit and 64bit on the same hardware. I was amazed that SL 64bit performed best, Lion 32bit some percent slower than that and Lion 64bit even slower than Lion in 32bit mode. Isn't that strange?

@sea_man: Are you sure you wanna do such thing to a Mac? Anyway you seem far most out of topic here...

sea_man
Not Newbie

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2012, 04:23:06 AM »

My only reason to install this o.s is maybe i will play some game in this OS... ( i have installed a pair of 6870 in my 2,1)

Also .. yes the question is very off topic, but i don't know other place to ask, because this involves the boot partition, but if is the incorrect place, sorry for my mistake . Wink

@electropura718

I modded my org.chameleon to graphics enabler =yes whit only one 6870 installed ..and my MP sleep fine.. but the video never awake.

please , can you tell me which version of boot file are you using ? ( i'm using chimera 1.Cool
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:34:46 AM by sea_man » Logged

konran

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »

Hello again,

one question here before I'm gonna make it worse again:
As I have SL 10.6.8 and Lion 10.7.4 working with Chameleon r1820 I want to give it a try to install Mountain Lion DP2. SL, Lion and Chameleon are on different physical disks and the Lion disk is the only one with enough space to place 10.8 DP2. When I created the partition for 10.8 with iPartition I realized that the Lion install created a 650MB Recovery HD hidden Apple_Boot partition as well.

Will the 10.8 install do so as well?
If so, will 10.8 overwrite the same Recovery HD partition and cause a conflict with the Lion installed?

konran

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

My only reason to install this o.s is maybe i will play some game in this OS... ( i have installed a pair of 6870 in my 2,1)

I have never used Bootcamp on a Mac, so I dont't know how Apple's tools will install a Win7x64. On a PC it installs always on a GUID partition scheme, creates a hidden system partition with windows boot loader on it and a second partition holding Win7x64 itself. The win boot assures that the Win7x64 partition will be C:\ as long as there is no other windows know partition before that one. Parallels Desktop does quite the same for a Win7x64 installation - the same 2 partition scheme on a GUID virtual disk.

In fact I think you will break your system when you try to bring Win7x64 into the 200MB NTFS onto the same disk which is MBR. There are two reasons for that:

1.) Win7x64 installation requires two additional partitions on the boot disk, so you would have to split
     your 200GB to have 100MB before Win7 for the hidden boot loader
2.) booting Win7 requires the hidden win7 boot partition to be active, Chameleon partition must also
     be active

So even if this could work I think you break the Chameleon boot loader first and have to repair it after Win7x64 is installed. You could probably convince Chameleon after having it repaired to boot your Mac OS and Windows as well ... but Chameleon is designed to boot PC Hackintosh'es and on a PC you might have different partition type ID's as Bootcamp has. If ever I would use another physical disk to try it with Win7x64.

Bardioc

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »

Hello,

I tried the described method but I'm currently stuck and have no clue on how to continue. I've done exactly the steps described in the first posting, but I end up with a weird EBIOS error right now:

I've downloaded the proposed Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg, created an MBR-based disk with two partitions, one 1 GB, the second the rest (currently empty). This disk is placed in "Bay 1" and referred to as disk0 in 'diskutil'. Now the first question arises. When I try to install Chameleon, I get the choice between:

* Chameleon Standard
* Chameleon EFI FAT
* Chameleon EFI HFS

I suppose I shall install 'Chameleon Standard' as the first posting described to install "the bootloader only". Afterwards I extracted the files attached to the first posting, copied the plist-files to the Extra folder and replaced the existing boot with the provided one.

My current Lion-Installation resides on a second harddrive in "Bay 2" and the partition is referred to as 'disk1s2' in 'diskutil'. Therefore I modified the chameleon boot plist to use hd(1,2) as default partition. I changed the serial number and issued the blessing as described.

When I now reboot, I get the following error:

The system boots, I get a gray screen followed by a black screen, followed by a gray screen.

A short moment I see something like 'Loading boot' followed by 'boot0' and then a textual spinning / | \ combination that freezes with a blinking cursor. After a while I get the following error:

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error
   Block 0x0 Sectors 0

This is repeated several times before the Chameleon boot loader appears. Does anybody have a clue on how to speed up the process?

Thank you for your help,

Heiko
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:21:01 PM by Bardioc » Logged
konran

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »

I've downloaded the proposed Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg, created an MBR-based disk with two partitions, one 1 GB, the second the rest (currently empty). This disk is placed in "Bay 1" and referred to as disk0 in 'diskutil'. Now the first question arises. When I try to install Chameleon, I get the choice between:
My current Lion-Installation resides on a second harddrive in "Bay 1" and the partition is referred to as 'disk1s2' in 'diskutil'. Therefore I modified the chameleon boot plist to use hd(1,2) as default partition. I changed the serial number and issued the blessing as described.

Hello Heiko,

for both parts you write that you're using these disks in bay 1 - which cannot be of course. It would help if you list some details of your Mac. As you may see in this thread things go very specific and due to my own experience won't succeed every time. I'd suggest that you also apply grammataki's DSDT.aml from previous posts. So you have immediate repair for SATA and sound. Also have a look at pages 7 and 6 which give you successful configurations of Chameleon to work.

Bardioc

« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »

My current Lion-Installation resides on a second harddrive in "Bay 1" and the partition is referred to as 'disk1s2' in 'diskutil'. Therefore I modified the chameleon boot plist to use hd(1,2) as default partition. I changed the serial number and issued the blessing as described.

Hello Heiko,

for both parts you write that you're using these disks in bay 1 - which cannot be of course. It would help if you list some details of your Mac. As you may see in this thread things go very specific and due to my own experience won't succeed every time. I'd suggest that you also apply grammataki's DSDT.aml from previous posts. So you have immediate repair for SATA and sound. Also have a look at pages 7 and 6 which give you successful configurations of Chameleon to work.

Hello and thanks for the quick answer,

of cause, the second disk containing the OS is in another bay ("Bay 2"), sorry about the mistake. When I wait until the EBIOS error occurs about 6 times (which is about 5 minutes), the Chameleon boot prompt shows up and I'm able to boot my OS at hd(1,2) successfully. I applied the DSDT.aml already and I got sound and the SATA fixes. This works great so far. My only concern is, why do I have to wait for these "Controller or device error" EBIOS errors?

My MacPro 1,1 contains two DVD-drives, and the two mentioned hard drives. Nothing but a keyboard via USB is attached. I have a EFI-flashed AMD Radeon 4890.

I do have an an external slot attached to the 5th and 6th SATA port on the main board, but no drives are attached to this.

So it seems nothing is really specific to the error. Unfortunately the EBIOS error does not tell which controller or device has an error :-/

sea_man
Not Newbie

« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »

I have never used Bootcamp on a Mac, so I dont't know how Apple's tools will install a Win7x64. On a PC it installs always on a GUID partition scheme, creates a hidden system partition with windows boot loader on it and a second partition holding Win7x64 itself. The win boot assures that the Win7x64 partition will be C:\ as long as there is no other windows know partition before that one. Parallels Desktop does quite the same for a Win7x64 installation - the same 2 partition scheme on a GUID virtual disk.

In fact I think you will break your system when you try to bring Win7x64 into the 200MB NTFS onto the same disk which is MBR. There are two reasons for that:

1.) Win7x64 installation requires two additional partitions on the boot disk, so you would have to split
     your 200GB to have 100MB before Win7 for the hidden boot loader
2.) booting Win7 requires the hidden win7 boot partition to be active, Chameleon partition must also
     be active

So even if this could work I think you break the Chameleon boot loader first and have to repair it after Win7x64 is installed. You could probably convince Chameleon after having it repaired to boot your Mac OS and Windows as well ... but Chameleon is designed to boot PC Hackintosh'es and on a PC you might have different partition type ID's as Bootcamp has. If ever I would use another physical disk to try it with Win7x64.

Very nice explanation !

I will try to find another hd to put the boot , to avoid all this complications.

Also , maybe this can help to the people who can boot your osx hd from chameleon.

I also have the problem " match kernel not found "

I boot from boot partition via bless command, and in the chameleon screen i take note the partition number under the icon of the HD.. in my case is 2,2 ( bay 1 , single partition )
and put this number in my org.chameleon like this:
<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(2,2)</string>

An it boot fine.

Also i have the problem whit the blink cursor after boot, but i fix this resetting the PRAM.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: