netkas.org forum
October 19, 2019, 09:44:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1234658 times)
jeanlain

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »

It seems you can boot the 64 bit kernel without Cameleon, using rEFIt and Grub.
For those who read French http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=353110&st=0&gopid=3582425&#entry3582425
Not tested on Mountain Lion yet.

Can you translate?  I already have it working fine with Chameleon but am interested in alternatives? Are there any advantages in using rEFIt /GRUB?

With my limited French skills, I can see that people who have tried this have experienced the loss of audio that affected early pioneers of the Chameleon method.  This problem is easily fixed using a modified DSDT in the Chameleon Extra folder.  Have no idea how you would fix it using eEFIt/GRUB.
This methods requires that you install rEFIt and Ubuntu 11.04 64 (link is given in the original post). When ubuntu is booting, hit escape to access GRUB. Then select OS X 64. It should boot the 64-bit OS X kernel.
konran

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »

Thanks MacEFIRom for your great work Smiley
Unfortunately I'm always landing at "No bootable devices" when I try to boot the Chameleon boot loader.

My configuration:
- MacPro1,1 2 x Xeon Dual Core - no FW upgrade to 2007
- 3 HDD's in the SATA drive bays, boot disk with SL 10.6.8 plugged in bay 1
- nVidia 8800GT

First I wanted to circumvent the fact to modify my running system and I tried to install Chameleon on a USB pen drive but it did only show either a flashing folder icon or a flashing forbidden icon.
Next I tried to repartition my system drive (in bay 1) to add a boot partition at its end - but I didn't change the partition scheme to MBR, so said left it as GUID. That gave me a boot screen with "No bootable devices" message.

Several comments in this thread specify that the boot loader i.e. Chameleon has to reside on the first drive (on a SATA port) and the Mac OS X has to be as well. From your guide (just before you start with the real guide) I read that I can have Chameleon on any drive and have to place the OS on the first drive.
Is the latter correct?

Where I'm also struggling is the point that Apple's disk numbering changes at will after blessing the boot partition, reboot, reset and alt-booting the normal OS. The system disk switches between disk0s2 and disk1s2. How can that be? I have to decide a fixed value in the org.chameleon.boot.plist ... I also tried to remove the Default Device in there to get a list of partitions - but nothing as that Sad

Last question(s) for now: Is it necessary to place Chameleon on a MBR formatted disk?
And if yes, could I place the Chameleon e.g. on a MBR disk in bay 2 and let the OS disk in bay 1 where it is now?

Regards,
Konran

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
armdn

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »

It seems you can boot the 64 bit kernel without Cameleon, using rEFIt and Grub.
For those who read French http://forum.macbidouille.com/index.php?showtopic=353110&st=0&gopid=3582425&#entry3582425
Not tested on Mountain Lion yet.

Can you translate?  I already have it working fine with Chameleon but am interested in alternatives? Are there any advantages in using rEFIt /GRUB?

With my limited French skills, I can see that people who have tried this have experienced the loss of audio that affected early pioneers of the Chameleon method.  This problem is easily fixed using a modified DSDT in the Chameleon Extra folder.  Have no idea how you would fix it using eEFIt/GRUB.
This methods requires that you install rEFIt and Ubuntu 11.04 64 (link is given in the original post). When ubuntu is booting, hit escape to access GRUB. Then select OS X 64. It should boot the 64-bit OS X kernel.

This method makes more questions than answers... I tried to do this, and get nothing. Partitioned disk with two partitions for rEFIt and Ubuntu, installed 11.04, then (with very strong language) restored GRUB, added menu entry to GRUB to load Mac OS X (update-grub didn't find my Mac OS X on /dev/sdc1 (hd1)) and get nothing... What partition table he used for Linux and Mac ?? GPT or MBR?? How and what entry he added to GRUB??
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:09:09 PM by armdn » Logged
gerahdo

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »

Thanks to MacEFIRom , Sascha_77, Grammataki and all the others for there hard work .
Mac Pro 2.1 , 8 core 3gHz , three partition's ,first Lion second Lion third Snow leopard .
Boot partition is on a second drive second partition  <string>hd(2,4)</string>.
Installed, Chameleon_2.1svn_r1886_trunk_10.8.pkg , edit  the serial number in smbios.plist .
Then I used Grammataki's method to create a DSDT.aml file,
 " http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273369 "
 placed it into the Boot extras folder , sound is working great .

When I have a USB stick inserted it wound mound after reboot I have to reinsert it, then it works  .
The System Profiler reads an ATI Radeon HD 5000 , but it is a Radeon HD 5770 , I hope it doesn't make a difference it is only reading this ?
Thanks a lot ,  it is a big improvement in Apps like FinalCutProX .  64bitHappy ;-)  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:50:41 PM by gerahdo » Logged
electropura718

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »

Konran,

My drive with Lion installed is on the drive closest to the front of the machine.  Chameleon is installed on a small partition (called Boot) on the drive located in the last slot, closest to the back of the machine.  It uses MBR.

You cannot put Chameleon on a USB drive.  Your Mac cannot boot from a USB or Firewire drive using "legacy" mode (aka BIOS).

Hope that helps.
electropura718

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »

For Sea_Man

DSDT with sound and SATA fixes attached.  Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly 1,1)

* dsdt.aml (17.01 KB - downloaded 560 times.)
sea_man
Not Newbie

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2012, 01:27:57 AM »

For Sea_Man

DSDT with sound and SATA fixes attached.  Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly 1,1)

Thanks man !

My HDs now appear like internal and my sound and odd sata ports work !

But the sleep is not working for me Sad i will try with graphics enables = yes and other gpu ( this 1,1 upgrade to 2,1 have the original crappy 7300 )

Any way i will list the changes i will made to see if they are involved in the sleep problem:

Upgraded cpus to a pair of L5335 ,  added 4 gb of more ram from other 1,1 ( 8GB in total) and firmware upgraded to 2,1 , and running Lion 10.7.3.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:30:08 AM by sea_man » Logged

My Build: Core i7-3930k - Rampage IV Gene - MSI 7970
electropura718

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 04:35:30 AM »

For Sea_Man

DSDT with sound and SATA fixes attached.  Mac Pro 2,1 (formerly 1,1)

Thanks man !

My HDs now appear like internal and my sound and odd sata ports work !

But the sleep is not working for me Sad i will try with graphics enables = yes and other gpu ( this 1,1 upgrade to 2,1 have the original crappy 7300 )

Any way i will list the changes i will made to see if they are involved in the sleep problem:

Upgraded cpus to a pair of L5335 ,  added 4 gb of more ram from other 1,1 ( 8GB in total) and firmware upgraded to 2,1 , and running Lion 10.7.3.

Glad you got it working.  Sorry I couldn't help with the sleep issue.  I don't seem to be having that problem, but I am using Graphics Enabler=YES and an Nvidia 470 (PC version).
konran

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2012, 06:26:35 AM »

Thanks electropura,

your example was really helpful - so finally I had it same way when I added the 4th disk to the rearmost bay and the SL OS disk in the frontmost bay 1. And luckily it accepted verbose mode which I wasn't able to use before. To my astonishment I realized that the OS appeared on hd(3,2) ... which I didn't try before. I couldn't believe that it could be there Embarrassed

So, for some tests it went well and with your DSDT I had sound and no sleep issues (ok, mostly no issues: the CPU fan went up to 1300 upm shortly which it normally doesn't after waking up).

But then came the hassle: when I wanted to verify if I can use Chameleon on a GUID disk I used iPartition to change the partition scheme, reblessed and rebooted - and I saw that it doesn't work that way. It obviously has to be MBR only. So I reversed the Chameleon boot disk to MBR, reblessed, rebooted - and again had "No bootable device". Disk numbering was again mixed up. The OS was on disk0s2 this time. I changed that in the Chameleon plist, rebooted and again "No bootable device"! This time the OS moved to disk1s2.

For whatever reason something changes disk numbering at will. In the moment I was not able to get a stable situation with Chameleon again so that the disk is off my Mac now. It seems to be not reliable for me ... at least I want to switch between 64bit and 32bit mode w/out braking my Mac everytime.

MacPro2,1(1,1) 2 x Intel Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz, 10 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 250/750/750 GB HDD, nVidia 8800 GTS, Eizo EV2333W, Eizo L768 TFT, Mighty Mouse, Apple Alu Keyboard, OS X 10.7.4
Peloche

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »

Hi all,

My conf:

Mac Pro 2006
2 x 5150 2.66 GHz CPUs
12 Go Ram
ATI XT1900
5 HDDs - 4 in bays 1,2,3,4 - 1 in DVDROM bay connected to extra motherboard SATA port.
Apple Cinema Display 30" (2006)
Lion 10.7.3

My mods:

1 - Replace existing CPUs with 2 x 5355 SLAEG 2.66 GHz CPUs

Issue:
Issue 100: only one CPU shown in "About this Mac"

2 - Installed Mac Pro Firmware 2007 with MacEFIRom utility, thanks to MacEFIRom
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html

Issue:
No new issue

Existing Issue 100 resolved : both CPUs shown

3 - Installed "Booting the 64-bit kernel on 2006/2007 Mac Pro, thanks to MacEFIRom
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1123.0.html

installed Chameleon with Chimera 1.8.0 (r1394 - Darwin / x86 boot v5.0.132)  thanks to MacManx86 http://macmanx86.blogspot.fr/2012/02/chimera-180-source.html
installed Chameleon themes and adjustment with Chameleon Wizard - thanks to janek202, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257464

Issues:
Issue 300 : No sound
Issue 301 : HDD connected to extra SATA port doesn't show

4 - Installed dsdt.aml in /Boot/Extra supplied by electropura718, thanks to electropura718
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1123.msg10380.html#msg10380

Issue:
Edited :
Issue 400: Kernel Panic when connecting USB device, reboot with USB device connected it works but any new USB device connection leads to KernelPanic

Existing issue 300: resolved, sound is back
Existing Issue 301: resolved, HDD is shown again

5 - Installed my flashed GC Sapphire HD 4890

Issue:
No new issue

---------
Remaining issues:
No issue remains

Issue 400

Edit: I have had 2 Kernel Panic when connecting :

1 USB 16 Go Flash drive and another one connecting USB Dock.

I have tried again with this devices and also with my camera, no more KP, plug, mount, unmount unplug etc... several times for each device, no more KP... Bug ?

Thanks to all contributors.

One more thing "Many Thanks to the Big Boss Netkas … Roll Eyes"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:19:06 PM by Peloche » Logged

CoolerMaster HAF932
PS Enermax MODU87+ 600W
ASUS SABERTOOTH X58
i7 930,2,8 GHz;Noctua NH-U12P SE2
DDR3 6 x 2 Go PC3-10666 CAS 7 XMS 3 Corsair
SSD 64 GB C300 Crucial CTFDDAC064MAG
WD1500ADFS;HDT722525DLA380;ST3500630AS
Seagate Momentus XT 750 Go
NVidia GTX670 2Gb
10.8.-WIN8-64
armdn

« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »

I've done IT!

No need to use rEFIt. I just installed a Mac OS X on a drive (GPT) and then installed Linux on other partition (GPT too), GRUB during the installation with his os-prober find Mac OS X (32-bit) and (64-bit). That is all. No legacy boot, no Chameleon. But sound doesn't work properly, and second display on miniDP (ATI Radeon HD 4870) also stops working. DVI works.
electropura718

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »

Armdn,

All your issues using this method can be fixed with DSDT, however I have no idea if it's even possible to load a DSDT.aml booting this way.  Its very easy (once you figure out what the fixes actually are) using Chameleon.  
Also, of you have no need for a Linux install, other than booting MacOSX 64 bit kernel, it's kind of a waste of space.  The Chameleon boot loader can live on a very tiny partition, which can even be hidden, so it's something you can just forget about once you set it up.

Now on to the next challenge....installing ML DP 2..

UPDATE: the key to using DSDT with GRUB might be here....

http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2011/03/patching-dsdt-in-recent-linux-kernels-without-recompiling/

If you have time, you might want to try it using my posted DSDT to see if your sound comes back. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:07:31 PM by electropura718 » Logged
electropura718

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »

But then came the hassle: when I wanted to verify if I can use Chameleon on a GUID disk I used iPartition to change the partition scheme, reblessed and rebooted - and I saw that it doesn't work that way. It obviously has to be MBR only. So I reversed the Chameleon boot disk to MBR, reblessed, rebooted - and again had "No bootable device". Disk numbering was again mixed up. The OS was on disk0s2 this time. I changed that in the Chameleon plist, rebooted and again "No bootable device"! This time the OS moved to disk1s2.

For whatever reason something changes disk numbering at will. In the moment I was not able to get a stable situation with Chameleon again so that the disk is off my Mac now. It seems to be not reliable for me ... at least I want to switch between 64bit and 32bit mode w/out braking my Mac everytime.

Sorry it's not working to your satisfaction.  It sounded like you had things going well until you started swapping disks around and changing partition schemes...which most people would not do on a regular basis.  If you want to give it another go, you might want to try Ignoring Caches on boot, if you are switching things around.  this is one of the boot options in Chameleon.   I don't think it's really reassigning drive positions randomly.  I've been booting this way for months now, and it's been pretty consistent in its behavior.

Which Chameleon build did you use?
armdn

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »

Armdn,

All your issues using this method can be fixed with DSDT, however I have no idea if it's even possible to load a DSDT.aml booting this way.  Its very easy (once you figure out what the fixes actually are) using Chameleon.  
Also, of you have no need for a Linux install, other than booting MacOSX 64 bit kernel, it's kind of a waste of space.  The Chameleon boot loader can live on a very tiny partition, which can even be hidden, so it's something you can just forget about once you set it up.

Now on to the next challenge....installing ML DP 2..

UPDATE: the key to using DSDT with GRUB might be here....

http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2011/03/patching-dsdt-in-recent-linux-kernels-without-recompiling/

If you have time, you might want to try it using my posted DSDT to see if your sound comes back. 

Sound can be revert back to normal without DSDT using.... but what with mini Display Port.... that's the problem.
Hooper
Not Newbie

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »

I've done IT!

No need to use rEFIt. I just installed a Mac OS X on a drive (GPT) and then installed Linux on other partition (GPT too), GRUB during the installation with his os-prober find Mac OS X (32-bit) and (64-bit). That is all. No legacy boot, no Chameleon. But sound doesn't work properly, and second display on miniDP (ATI Radeon HD 4870) also stops working. DVI works.

Viktor, tried this today on my mac pro 1,1 (first installed the 2,1 firmware-tool for today) and it worked, but only when you stick by Darwin 10.8.0 kernel version !. So if you upgrade from SL-10.6.8 to Lion-10.7.3 the trick does not work any more... Because the machine than just boots up again in normal 32bit kernel & extensions mode. So installing Mountain-Lion 10.8 (DP2) this way is out of the question I think, and that's what the actual goal is isn't it ? 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:48:25 PM by Hooper » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: