netkas.org forum
April 26, 2017, 08:29:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 613373 times)
Charlan7

« Reply #870 on: February 21, 2014, 12:42:57 PM »

Yes, many thanks to Tiamo!!

Nom du modèle :   Mac Pro
 Identifiant du modèle :   MacPro2,1 (originally 1.1, from 2006)
 Nom du processeur :   Quad-Core Intel Xeon
 Vitesse du processeur :   3 GHz
 Nombre de processeurs :   2
 Nombre total de cœurs :   8
 Cache de niveau 2 (par processeur) :   8 Mo
 Mémoire :   16 Go
 Vitesse du bus :   1,33 GHz
 Version de la ROM de démarrage :   MP21.007F.B06
 Version SMC (système) :   1.7f10

Any problem with the future 10.9.2? Upgrade is possible from 10.9.1?
brunosky

« Reply #871 on: February 22, 2014, 02:13:34 PM »

[...]

Af far as I know, after updating to 10.9.2 you'll have to apply again the boot.efi patched files, because the previous ones will be overwritten, rendering the Mac Pro unbootable.
(See preceding post by wojtek.)

MacPro 1,1 - 2006
Processor 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB
Software OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)
megamind3

« Reply #872 on: February 23, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »

There is 59 pages of reading material on the subject.
Can anybody make a summary on all the different ways to be able to install Mountain Lion (64bit)
So far I have seen many different ways on doing so. What is the best way, what is the advantages between one way from the other.
Thanks.
blacksheep

« Reply #873 on: February 23, 2014, 02:25:48 PM »

Good joke Smiley
HaraldSt

« Reply #874 on: February 23, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »

Good joke Smiley
The two most common ways to install Mountain Lion or Mavericks are:
1.) Chameleon using Legacy Boot derived from Hackintosh. This is described at the beginning of this thread.
2.) A boot.efi modified  by tiamo with updated parameter plists that uses the OS X native boot mechanism bridging the gap between the 64 bit kernel and 32 bit EFI services to NVRAM etc. This is described here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1598176&page=2

I have switched to the newer mode using the boot.efi. It is simple and stable, the system boots and behaves as if it was never excluded from 64 bit mode. Note that the boot.efi is optimized for Mavericks, although it will support Mountain Lion (slower boot.) Read the thread all the way, there are two versions of the modified boot.efi - the first one is verbose, the second has the standard UI.

By far the easiest way to install this is to move the drive to a second system that support Mavericks, install the OS, and then switch the boot.efi in two locations and update the plists. Then you can move the drive to your Mac Pro and just boot.

But there are also various ways to directly bring it up on the Mac Pro, if you have no other system available.
LouCioccio

« Reply #875 on: February 25, 2014, 03:31:43 AM »

That is the way I did it in the beginning and how I will do. To me its easier to pull the drive out and install the boot_efi and pop it back in.  I thought about putting 10.7 on a partition.  I real am enjoying this!

Lou Cioccio
LouCioccio

« Reply #876 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »

Success did not take that long to remove the drive and install the Tiamo's boot.efi and get into terminal to change and bless and put it back in.
Again Thanks,

Lou Cioccio
Charlan7

« Reply #877 on: February 25, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »

[...]

Af far as I know, after updating to 10.9.2 you'll have to apply again the boot.efi patched files, because the previous ones will be overwritten, rendering the Mac Pro unbootable.
(See preceding post by wojtek.)

After updating to 10.9.2, I'm unable to remove the old boot.efi... because it is lock... is it possible to unlunck it and to trash it? Thanks!
LouCioccio

« Reply #878 on: February 26, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »

1.   Open the Terminal.
   2.   Type the following command, followed by a single space (do not press enter yet).
sudo chflags nouchg
   3.   Drag the locked file from the Finder to the Terminal window to complete its full folder path.
   4.   Press Enter to run the command, supplying your password when prompted.
When run, this command will undo the lock flag for the file, regardless of whether you own the file. While an enabled lock will prevent the file from being edited, ultimately it is designed to be a temporary hurdle that can be undone by any user who has access to the file.

Lou Cioccio
Charlan7

« Reply #879 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »

1.   Open the Terminal.
   2.   Type the following command, followed by a single space (do not press enter yet).
sudo chflags nouchg
   3.   Drag the locked file from the Finder to the Terminal window to complete its full folder path.
   4.   Press Enter to run the command, supplying your password when prompted.
When run, this command will undo the lock flag for the file, regardless of whether you own the file. While an enabled lock will prevent the file from being edited, ultimately it is designed to be a temporary hurdle that can be undone by any user who has access to the file.

Lou Cioccio
Many, many thanks!!  Grin
jimmyspenser

« Reply #880 on: July 22, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »

Fusion Drive works perfect !

LouCioccio

« Reply #881 on: October 21, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »

I have a GT630 and updated one of the drives to 10.10 and installed Tiamo boot.EFI plus did chown and blessed the folder. I did get a chime but nada. Took the drive out to make sure ownership is correct. Tried again and could hear the drive working. Went back to iMac and low and behold it did boot up blind.  I still have a SSD drive with 10.9.5 which the Gt630 works fine. I did check Nvidia site but no joy on drivers.  Any thoughts??

Lou Cioccio
Mr. Zarniwoop

« Reply #882 on: October 25, 2014, 11:06:43 PM »

I have a GT630 and updated one of the drives to 10.10 and installed Tiamo boot.EFI plus did chown and blessed the folder.

Tiamo's boot loader doesn't work in OS X 10.10. Luckily, there's a fork that does. You need the Piker-Alpha macosxbootloader for Yosemite to work on a 2006/2007 Mac Pro.

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - MSI R9 280X Gaming 3GB (w/Mac EFI firmware) - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
LouCioccio

« Reply #883 on: October 28, 2014, 01:08:34 AM »

Wow, very odd. I did the drill from 10.9.5 hard drive in terminal with the “Piker-Alpha” boot loader as you suggested.  But some how, the original Apple boot_EFI was  still in System/Library/CoresServices folder with the lock. I know I did the sudo chflags nouchg so I could delete it and put “Piker-Alpha” in.  Still no joy. SO I pulled out the drive put in a USB dock and that’s when I saw the Apple boot_EFI with lock. So I redid it and redid the bless. I also did a get info on the files to see if they were correct, but before I removed it I re-did permission repair.
Put the drive back in and this time I could hear the drive churning.  It did boot up.
Thank you,
Lou Cioccio
wolf1734

« Reply #884 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »

hello
I want to know how to set the partition to boot in 64 in place of 32.
if you can send me a boot image created I could put my score this allow myself to work with my mac Yosemite 10.10.1 pro 1.1 I Thank You in advance and waiting for your new I joined you my email :
"Wolf1734@hotmail.fr"
kind regards
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60
  Print  

Jump to: