netkas.org forum
October 15, 2019, 01:11:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1232945 times)
palba
Not Newbie

« Reply #660 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »

Hi all,
Here I am with a simple question?
I'd like to convert my system but I have the internal Apple Raid Card.
With 4 1Tb disk. I've created a Raid Partition with 3 and the other with the two partition(boot+System).
The problem is that I can't format the single partition Boot with the MBR option.
I can do this change only in the entire disk that prevent the macos installation.
How can i do? Could I use an external software?
Many thanks in advance! Best regards
Paul
palba
Not Newbie

« Reply #661 on: November 08, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »

I'm a big Mac Pro fan, and I own both a 2006 and 2010 Mac Pro.

Here is the guide:

If you are using a single drive, partition the drive with 2 partitions, both HFS+, using the MBR option. Name the 1st partition Boot, and make it 1GB in size. The 2nd partition will hold your normal Mac OS installation.

If you are using a separate drive, partition using MBR, choose HFS+, and name it Boot.

Install the older Chameleon bootloader, the filename is Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg, you can easily find it on the web. Choose the Boot partition, and deselect all the options except the bootloader.

To delete the original boot file, type this command, via the Terminal:

rm /Volumes/Boot/boot

You can use any of the modern Chameleon bootloader files, you will only need the boot file. You can find installer packages all over the Internet for this, so don't ask here. If it's already in an installer package, you can use Pacifist to extract it. Copy this file to the Boot volume, at the root. I've included the one I used in my testing, so you can use this one as well.

Copy the attached smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Boot/Extra, and if you have any themes you want to use copy these to the Boot/Extra folder as well. If you don't know how the Chameleon bootloader works, or about themes, or anything else related to the hackintosh, don't ask here, there are plenty of forums on the Internet for that.

If you are using a single drive, use this in the org.chamleeon.Boot.plist file (this is in the supplied file):

<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(0,2)</string>

If you are using a separate drive, use this in the org.chamleeon.Boot.plist file:

<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(1,2)</string>

The actual serial number can't be extracted from the system, so you can put your serial number in by editing this in the smbios.plist file:

<key>SMserial</key>
        <string>G666666PUPZ</string>

In order to boot the system this way, you have to bless the new Boot partition in a special way, via the Terminal:

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacy

Hi,
I have few questions:
Format: I have tried to do as described. but using HFS+ with MBR the Macos Installer doesn't work!
so I followed the instruction to create an HFS+ Partition and a FAT32 partition ( I don't know if the MBR option is applied!
Then Chamaleon: Where is the bootloader? I mean in the custom install appear : Standard/EFI/HFS - Options -Themes -Extras . After the install, in the boot disk appears 3 folders (Extra/Library/usr).
I put the 2 modified files org.chameleon.Boot and smbios in EXTRA folder.
Where i put the file "boot"?
Where I am wrong?
Any suggestion is very well appreciated!
Many thanks in advance, best regards!
Paul

Here my partition system:
/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MACHD                   997.9 GB   disk2s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOT                    1.8 GB     disk2s3

armdn

« Reply #662 on: November 09, 2012, 04:57:30 AM »

Hi all,
Here I am with a simple question?
I'd like to convert my system but I have the internal Apple Raid Card.
With 4 1Tb disk. I've created a Raid Partition with 3 and the other with the two partition(boot+System).
The problem is that I can't format the single partition Boot with the MBR option.
I can do this change only in the entire disk that prevent the macos installation.
How can i do? Could I use an external software?
Many thanks in advance! Best regards
Paul

1) You need to use only integrated SATA controller for booting. Or any other SAS Controller that support booting on Mac.
2) Apple Mac Pro RAID Card will prevent booting from anything except Mac OS X.
3) So - you will not boot to Chameleon at all until you remove Apple RAID Card out of Mac Pro.
palba
Not Newbie

« Reply #663 on: November 09, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »

Many thanks! This is an huge problem!
Could I use the main board sata connector?
Thanks
Paul
HaraldSt

« Reply #664 on: November 11, 2012, 02:53:28 AM »

Thanks
Paul
They are not available in standard legacy mode until the system has been switched to AHCI mode.
patida
Not Newbie

« Reply #665 on: November 11, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

Fusion Drive works perfect !  Grin
jvt

« Reply #666 on: November 14, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »

Hi, I've just installed Mountan Lion on my Mac Pro 1.1, the Jabbaworks way (great stuff!) ( http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47 )

After that, I've created a custom dsdt.aml by exporting my Mac Pro's dsdt and applying all fixes mentioned by grammataki (even more great stuff!) ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273369-original-mac-pro-11legacy-64-bit-modedsdt-fixes/ )

Things work very well. No problems at all!

However I don't understand 3 things, maybe there is a hardware guru out here that can enlighten me a bit Huh

1. DSDT export and import - compiler errors

I used DSDT editor 0.7 to extract the dsdt.aml for my Mac Pro.

When compiling the extracted DSDT ( even without any changes ) the compiler gives me three errors, please note all this hardware cofig is complete
   abracadabra for me….

1) line 825: "invalid combination of Length and Min/Mac fixed flags"

this has something to do with the config of PCI0. And as we can clearly see the Lengtvh value is incorrect.

Scope (\_SB)
Device (PCI0)
Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
               DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
                    0x00000000,         // Granularity
                    0x00000000,         // Range Minimum
                    0xFEBFFFFF,         // Range Maximum
                    0x00000000,         // Translation Offset
                    0x00000000,         // Length
                    0x00,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

2) line 1371 "Length is not equal to fixed Min/Max window"

Also this error is in the PCI0 config,

Scope (\_SB)
Device (PCI0)
Name (PBRS, ResourceTemplate ()
                DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
                    0x00000000,         // Granularity
                    0xA0000000,         // Range Minimum
                    0xFE000000,         // Range Maximum
                    0x00000000,         // Translation Offset
                    0x5E000000,         // Length
                    ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

3) line 3340 "string must be entirely alphanumeric (smc-napa)"

Device (SMC)
                {
                    Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0001"))
                    Name (_CID, "smc-napa")
                    Name (_STA, 0x0B)

The last error went away after applying the changes mentioned by Grammataki.

The first 2 errors I had auto-fix by DSDT editor.

However I find it strange the epxorted DSDT contains these errors.

Are these bugs in my Mac's firmware ? Or is the compiler used in the DSDT editor more strict then needed ?

My firmware level is MP11.005C.B08, SMC 1.7f10.

I hope the auto-fixes applied by DSDT editor don't break anything. Up to now, thinks look fine.

2. DSDT export and import - why are fixes needed.

I would expect when using a stock Mac Pro, no fixes would be needed to the DSDT at all. After all, I'm running an original Mac Pro
   and I would assume this hardware is supported by Mountain Lion, except for the EFI32 of course. Or are these fixes ( audio, usb sleep, etc ) related to changes
   in device drivers that need my Mac Pro to "present itself differently" to the OS ?

3. I use an original Apple 5770 video card.

Using "graphicsenabler=yes" this gave me the problem acceleration was not workig.

I assume this is because the graphics enabler does not contain the correct configuration for the stock Apple video card. ( checked the latest code to
   see if there was any reference and could not find it ).

Now when I run the card with graphicsenabler=no, things work fine.

The only strange thing is that OSX sees the card as being a Radeon 5000 card, instead of 5700. Any idea why this is ?

Thx for your answers in advance.
armdn

« Reply #667 on: November 16, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »

Thanks
Paul
They are not available in standard legacy mode until the system has been switched to AHCI mode.

They are not available for booting. But available for non-boot volumes.
palba
Not Newbie

« Reply #668 on: November 28, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »

Thanks
Paul

They are not available for booting. But available for non-boot volumes.

Hi ,
I, tested with an IDE disk in the CD-rom bay. Now Chamaleon starts but it doesn't find the Macos X volume in the Apple Raid Card Set.
I guess how could I test the 64bit boot on my 2.1 with 10.6.8. Do I have any chance?
Many thanks
armdn

« Reply #669 on: December 02, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »

No. Apple RAID Card is the huge problem for such things as Chameleon.
HaraldSt

« Reply #670 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »

Fusion Drive works perfect !  Grin
I currently have an SSD + std drive combo, with symbolic links from the SSD for less frequently or bulky directories. It works pretty well.
The std drive is configured to be able to boot on its own mirroring all the content on the 240GB ssd.
I backed up the SSD to another drive, booted from it, and built a fusion drive. This proceeded without error. From Lion, the drive was seen as conventional multi-volume drive.
I recreated a boot drive under ML from the original using CarbonCopy. So far, so fine. When I rebooted in Lion, the drive was seen as not mountable due to an unsupported format (no worry, data is still there.) I presume that ML had changed properties to a Fusion drive.
BUt I could not boot from the drive due to an error on the drive. And 10.8.2 under ML did not seem to be able to repair it. In finally gave up, and restored the original configuration.

Not having the ability to repair would be an important barrier to use it as your main system, even with TimeMachine set up (I back up against to volumes just to make sure.)
Perhaps 10.8.3 will have the support for all ML systems...
orsodimare
Not Newbie

« Reply #671 on: December 11, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »

Chameleon/Legacy is a working combination for sure in order to boot the 64-bit kernel on a MacPro 2,1 (1,1) but I'm wondering if it could be a different (faster) bootloader combination that can be used.
For example I'm having very good impression reading about "Clover" (in the Hackintosh arena) but if it can be useful for this topic is beyond my understanding....
Opinions?  Roll Eyes
last_animated

« Reply #672 on: December 12, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »

I've been having a play with this and I've got things working very nicely. I'm on a MacPro2,1 with a an MBR disk with a 1GB boot partition containing Chameleon and another partition with Mountain Lion. It works absolutely fine and I'm very happy with it. However I've been playing around with a second identical MacPro that has a Crucial M4 SSD startup disk for Snow Leopard. This one absolutely refuses to work and gives missing boot disk errors every time I try. I've fixed this by swapping the SSD out for a regular disk and now it's perfectly happy running Mountain Lion too - but I would like to get the SSD working. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what could be going wrong? Do SSDs write partition information in odd places or some such? That seems unlikely to me, but it's the only thing I can think of. As far as I can tell the setup for the disks is identical in every way except that it works with the regular disk and fails with the SSD.

Any help appreciated!
(In case anyone is interested I followed the instructions here http://boffinblogger.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/easier-mountain-lion-install-on_25.html which work well if you have a machine that can already install Mountain Lion so you can create the necessary disk image).
HaraldSt

« Reply #673 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:24 AM »

...but I would like to get the SSD working.
I am using a Corsair 3 (240GB), and it is working fine. My BOOT partition is on another disk. I have a second Mountain Lion install residing on a 3TB disk, and since I never got the Recovery Partition to work in this configuration, I converted it using iPartition. In iPartition, I made it to be recognized as an MBR, then reformatted HFS+, and just made it hidden via chgflags after setting it up as BOOT.
I also have a native, rarely used Lion configuration. It does have a recovery partition.
pianoguy
Not Newbie

« Reply #674 on: December 22, 2012, 02:50:44 AM »

I can't boot in 32-bit anymore, even when I go to preferences and choose the Mac disk in "startup disk". Any suggestions, aside from deleting the chameleon partition (since I would like to switch back and forth)?
UPDATE HALP!!! I renamed the chameleon "boot" file to "boot fake" so that it would stop forcing me to boot with it, and now my computer won't boot. I get "boot1: error"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:43:07 AM by pianoguy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: