netkas.org forum
October 30, 2020, 09:01:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1385041 times)
ant0
Not Newbie

« Reply #600 on: August 23, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

Hi folks. Like RunesOfMagic (and others) had said, ML works great on MP2.1/1.1....with the right DSDT table of course. Nevertheless, some times ML generate strange Kernel Panic, with a "not clear log" to understand where is the problem. Now I want to solve that problem...but I have no much time to dedicate. However I have two hypothesis:

1) Chamaleon BL have some "low level" bug.
2) Chamaleon don't have (and can't obtain) a complete address table, so it generates bad address space.
3) The zzz.log message ([SleepServicesD] /SourceCache/SleepServicesD_executables/SleepServicesD-1.43/SleepServicesD/PowerStateTracker.m:129 Platform not supported) is very hard to debug. I can't find more info on the net, so I have to investigate. Can this module cause kp? Anyway, I can't find a proove by now.

About point one, now I've installed the last stable Chamaleon release from OSx86.net (Chamaleon-2.1svn-r2047.pkg). Since the new update, I never reported a KP, but I can't be sure that the problem gone away because the KP,in my case, are unpredictable (I can use my mac for 7days without KP, but I can have two kp in the same day). Whenever I upd Chamaleon, I do a deep cache cleaning with "mountain lion cache cleaner". I suppose that some caches are builded over hw configuration emulated by chameleon.

About the second point, I have added my SSDT tables (System Service Dispatch Table) dumped directly from my machine. The SSDT is in fact an array in which are stored all the syscalls addresses. I think this can help to avoid KP because it seems due a bad SysCall address. Unfortunatly I don't have much free time to study well this approach (I don't know if the SSDT tables are really loaded by Chamaleon), but I'm full of hope. Smiley

Last, I'm trying to figure out why the log say "not supported", also if Chamaleon emulate a supported machine (Mac Pro 3,1). Can this module cause KP? I hope no... but I'm working to solve this issue anyway.

Following there is my actual config, so everybody, with random KP, can collect statistical data about machines configs:
* MacPro 1.1 (fw hacked to 2.1)
* SSD 80gb (F80A), with chamaleon partition and modded recovery partition
* SSD vertex3 maxIO, for ML
* Two HD on MIRROR RAID array configuration (software raid)
* Geforce 8800GTS 512, flashed for mac.
* 8gb ram

If you have random KP too, please report your configuration.

RunesOfMagic....have you a sw raid too? I want to be sure that software raid is not the cause of KP.
Stay tuned folks, and everybody with KP during ML use, help me please. Smiley  Some ideas?

P.S. A small gif for you: a nice chamaleon theme in ML style.
http://www.ig33kstas.com/2011/08/chameleon-themes-customize-your-chameleon-bootloader-with-login-2-lion-theme/
It's very simple to configure the right resolution of the theme and to replace the right resolution background (all in "ALTERNATE" directory). Add the attached file to have the right ML icon. Enjoy!

P.P.S. Updated to 10.8.1 without any problem. A big bet: the KP disappears or will be more frequently due the upgrade? ......

* ML_Icons.zip (84.45 KB - downloaded 383 times.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:11:05 PM by ant0 » Logged

chromafile

« Reply #601 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »

Just installed 10.8.1 update and everything seems fine Cheesy
stefx
Not Newbie

« Reply #602 on: August 23, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »

Installed 10.8.1.

got stuck at grey screen, force restart.

Everything seems to be ok for now.

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 2,66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - SAPPHIRE HD 5770 - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
perpacity
Not Newbie

« Reply #603 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:57 AM »

So here’s my dilemma. I keep getting a KP that says “Unable to find a driver for this platform “ACPI”…IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1546″

I’m running a MP1,1>2,1, (2 x5355) and an APPLE (ATI Radeon) 5770.

I can’t find a similar KP anywhere else on the web :\ Any suggestions?

The system is corrupted?
Repair Disk Permissions. If not work, do a clean install?

I'm on my third clean install... same problem.  Undecided

Hmm, weird. My MP2.1 has 2 x5355 + Radeon 5770 (Apple), no 3rd party PCIE cards.
If yours is identical, try Chameleon r2030 and my Chameleon extra files.

Chameleon r2030
http://www.mediafire.com/?goljbiulbd2pdsd

^^^Partially works.
I can load the initial installer using the Jabbawok frantic arrow method, but once it restarts, I am greeted with a "can't find /mach_kernel" error, unless I revisit the frantic arrow tapping, at which point, I can either log into my Lion install through legacy, or start over with the ML install, causing an infinite loop.

I have tried changing the default partition to the install, as well as the destination partitions, reblessed the BOOT disk several times, reset PRAM, repairing permissions, about 8 clean installs, and no luck.

Anything else I should try?
HaraldSt

« Reply #604 on: August 24, 2012, 02:41:00 AM »

Just installed 10.8.1 update and everything seems fine Cheesy
Same here.
armdn

« Reply #605 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »

Also just updated... no stucks, everything goes normal. I think we need to wait more heavy update.
Rominator

« Reply #606 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

So things look good so far for Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1.

From what I can tell you guys have got it working pretty well with exception of RAM quantity and the need to use a more modern GPU.

We at MacVidCards have been pleased to help with offering more Mac GPUs with help from various clever folks who have joined our team at needed times. With help from Netkas and others we have been able to offer many newer GPU options to Mac Pro fans in the past.

We would like to "give back" and are thus making the following offer.

If there are people trying to work this ML thing out on a Mac Pro but being held back by their no longer supported 7300GT, Q4500, or X1900 we would like to offer a FREE trade for an EFI32 GT120. I will reserve 10 of these cards for FREE trade to developers trying to get ML more functional for "unsupported" machines.

Basically, you will need to send me a working one of the above cards and in return I will send you an EFI32 GT120 with Dual DVI. These work in many OS's back to 10.5.6 or so. Shows boot screens, etc, and works perfectly with ML 10.8 and 10.8.1. You will not need to fiddle with old kexts to make these work, you will be able to concentrate on solving the RAM issues and any other issue that pops up. These even have current CUDA & OpenCl support, unlike the older cards.

These are 256 Meg cards that can run 2 @ 30" displays, they also work in Windows as 9500GT cards.

Easiest if you are in LA as we are based in Hollywood, CA and can just swap the cards out in person. Developers in other locales will need to arrange shipping here, we will cover the return shipping of your new GT120.

It is my hope that people will honor the idea and hard work here and not just try to get a free upgrade. We wish to encourage and advance the efforts to get ML working on older machines. I also hope that any unscrupulous competitors not try to weasel their way into this offer.

PM us for further details. And keep up the good work !!!!

(I will also be posting this at MacRumours in the "ML on old hardware" thread)

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
RunesOfMagic
Not Newbie

« Reply #607 on: August 24, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »

hi ant0,

sorry, starting with 10.8 i switched to 3 TB disk's and didn't create again a new apple sw raid.
No kernel panics after claiming to be a 3.1 MacPro, but i think it's only a matter of time (i'm still using sleep).

Config, hmm, nothing special, 2 x 3 TB, 1 x Samsung SSD with ML / L (as backup).  I kicked my Superdrive and replaced it with an old 250 GB IDE drive, chameleon and ML installer on it. Second DVD-Slot from MacPro is holding a Multi-DVD drive, still IDE.  On 5.th data onboard is a second, older, Vertex2-SSD (not bootable, of cause).  And XFX 6870 as graphic card, using  DVI, which graphics enable on within chameleon.
Chamelon is self compiled, 2.1svn-2000.

P.S. Now running 10.8.1, still same messages in zzz.log

By
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:42:31 PM by RunesOfMagic » Logged
stefx
Not Newbie

« Reply #608 on: August 27, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

Undecided Well with 10.8.1 Sleep Crash are back.

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 2,66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - SAPPHIRE HD 5770 - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
RunesOfMagic
Not Newbie

« Reply #609 on: August 27, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »

Recognized for the first time after waking up from sleep that there is NO actual entry within zzz.log, complaining running on a non supported system!
BTW, my system will crash directly if some installation touches kernel extensions! True for installation of LittleSnitch and true for TrimEnabler. TRIM support for SSD was gone after updating to 10.8.1, so i  need to run it again.

Bye

(No kernel cache  enabled within chameleon for this tests)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:57:08 PM by RunesOfMagic » Logged
ant0
Not Newbie

« Reply #610 on: August 27, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »

Thanks for the info RuneOfMagic! Now we can say that the SW raid is safe.
KP are still there on Chamaleon 2047! If there is a bug on this bootloader, it persists.
The SSDT way is a flop. KP want alive. Hehehhe  Cry
Now I'm focused on SleepServicesD. I think that ours random/sleep KP relates this deamons (...if not, solving this bug we achieve the complete ML compatibility).
I have "decompiled" SleepServiceD and it seems to do a sort of SMC version control. Configuring the chamaleon's SMbios.plist, we can set all System Profiler's entries except the SMC version. There is a method to deceive SMC version, but it requires an additional kext. I want a "clear" installation of ML over Chamaleon, so I don't want add any extra kext to prove my theory. I wrote an emal to the osx86's web master, explaining the problem and asking for a way to contact the chamaleon's developers.
I want ask to implements a way to set the SMC version with a SMbios.plist key.
If someone want follow me on this way, please help me. If the developers receive a lot of requests....they will have no a choice Smiley
Waiting for a reply....
Have a nice day folks. Smiley

hi ant0,

sorry, starting with 10.8 i switched to 3 TB disk's and didn't create again a new apple sw raid.
No kernel panics after claiming to be a 3.1 MacPro, but i think it's only a matter of time (i'm still using sleep).

Config, hmm, nothing special, 2 x 3 TB, 1 x Samsung SSD with ML / L (as backup).  I kicked my Superdrive and replaced it with an old 250 GB IDE drive, chameleon and ML installer on it. Second DVD-Slot from MacPro is holding a Multi-DVD drive, still IDE.  On 5.th data onboard is a second, older, Vertex2-SSD (not bootable, of cause).  And XFX 6870 as graphic card, using  DVI, which graphics enable on within chameleon.
Chamelon is self compiled, 2.1svn-2000.

P.S. Now running 10.8.1, still same messages in zzz.log

By

yellowbunny

« Reply #611 on: August 27, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »

Hello all,

This is my first post, been reading for quite a while.

I have 10.8.1 up and running on my Mac Pro. It all works 100% great apart from Dictation. It looks like it is working but seems to not do anything.

I've tried deleting plists and changing DNS but that doesn't help. If I boot the drive on my MacBook Pro via target disk mode it works straight away...

Any ideas?

Many thanks

yellowbunny

« Reply #612 on: August 28, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »

Nevermind. I have woken up this morning and it is now working perfectly. Great!
andystubbs

« Reply #613 on: August 28, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »

KP are still there on Chamaleon 2047! If there is a bug on this bootloader, it persists.
Now I'm focused on SleepServicesD. I think that ours random/sleep KP relates this deamons (...if not, solving this bug we achieve the complete ML compatibility).
I have "decompiled" SleepServiceD and it seems to do a sort of SMC version control. Configuring the chamaleon's SMbios.plist, we can set all System Profiler's entries except the SMC version. There is a method to deceive SMC version, but it requires an additional kext. I want a "clear" installation of ML over Chamaleon, so I don't want add any extra kext to prove my theory. I wrote an emal to the osx86's web master, explaining the problem and asking for a way to contact the chamaleon's developers.
If someone want follow me on this way, please help me. If the developers receive a lot of requests....they will have no a choice Smiley
Waiting for a reply....

Can you not edit the smbios.c file to achieve this?
ant0
Not Newbie

« Reply #614 on: August 28, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »

Maybe you mean "smbios.plist". In this case, it's not possible to add an SMCversion key, because chamaleon don't know that key.

Waiting for a reply....

Can you not edit the smbios.c file to achieve this?

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: