netkas.org forum
December 19, 2018, 11:49:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 1036391 times)
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »

I have a Mac Pro (1,1) which I purchased in late 2007 with the following specs:
-2.66 (CPUS changed to two quad core 5355s)
-8GB memory (soon to be upgraded to 20GB)
- MP11.005D.B00 firmware.
- x1 1GB, x3 2GB and x2 320GB hard drives (the 320GB in a software array as the OSX boot drive)

I have tried with different combinations:

1 - x2 drives (x2 320GB) working as one through software RAID formated as GUID with two partions a) OSX partition and other b) separate drive MBR and HFS formatted with bootloader
2 - a) x1 drive with OSX formatted as GUID with OSX b) differnet drive (1TB) formatted with MBR  with chameleon boot file

Both work but without full resolution using ATI 3870 graphics card. I had to use (1,2) in the plist file as others, despite disk utility quoting other numbers for the MBR drive.  My only problem now is when it boots I have to choose -v -x for verbose and safe mode to get to the desktop, otherwise all i get are horizontal lines tearing across the screen and thats it!  Maybe related to my graphics card ATI 3870, time to upgrade maybe? Anyhelp to get full resolution would be great.

Update: I followed instructions on another forum and got it working by removing ATIRadeonX2000.kext from S/L/E so that was a relief.  Full 64bit anf full resolution but no QECI

The first setup is with my original OSX RAID partition (used to always say Missing Operating System but working after fixing the chameleon installation properly by choosing EFI-HFS as an option).  

ps I have tried to chose the start up disk from the system preferences to use normal boot up (from my drive and off the OSX installation disk) but nothing!  I always have to hold down the ALT key to chose my original RAID partiton. any ideas here would be great.  Thanks heaps.

Update: It seems the "Boot" drive to be made must reside in the first hard drive slot to work.  Can boot into 64 bit with full graphics if I delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext but no QECI or acceleration.  Since I have an ATI 3870, it seems there may be no workaround for this apart from byng a new graphics card.  I will look at getting a 5770 or 6770.

Thanks to all of you for making my 64bit dream a reality.  It took a lot of tinkering with the plist files, terminal and hard drive locations but I am finally 100% happy with my old macpro.  To those who are still trying to get this working keep trying its worth it despite what may be said.  Thanks again everyone!

Edit: Reporting that I have bought myself an ATI 5770 Sapphire Vapor-X OC and flashed it with EFI.  All working beautifully with QECI.  Also should add that 64 bit certainly has made the startup from login to full desktop very fast.  Programs load much faster and everything runs smoother (not just an effect of the new accomplishment).  As others mention, only some apps will use more than 4GB ram most wont need it but the advantages for me have been phenomenal so far.  All up, its improved my 1,1 macpro as if Ive bought an upgrade.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:21:16 PM by grammataki » Logged
salfuman

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 02:59:04 PM »

Hi

I have a Mac Pro 2006 with an ATI BIOS flash to work in OSX, I have updated to model fimeware 2.1, up here all right. I tried to install the Chameleon on a flash drive using the instructions you say, but remains on the start screen, the apple logo and there begin to leave forbid icons, folders, folders in question mark and so continuously. Have to reset the computer and manually choose which HD to boot the system.
Can you help solve the problem and be able start with the Chameleon.
Greetings and thank you.

Sorry for my english.
Hola:

Tengo un Mac Pro del 2006 con una gráfica ati flasheada para que funcione en OSX, he actualizado el fimeware al modelo 2.1, hasta aquí todo correcto. He intentado instalar el chamaleón en un pendrive siguiendo las instrucciones que decis, pero al arrancar se queda en la pantalla de inicio, en el logo de la manzana y ahí empiezan a salir iconos de prohido, carpetas, carpetas con interrogación y así continuamente. Hay que resetear el ordenador y elegir manualmente el HD con el que arranca el sistema.
Podríais ayudarme a solucionar el problema y poder iniciar con el chamaleon.
Saludos y gracias.
Sascha_77
Not Newbie

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »

I plopped in a SSD Drive under the Superdrive.

There are 2 extra S-ATA Ports on the board. Now i´m using one of them for the SSD. The Problem is now, that in the Chameleon Boot Menu my SSD Drive (with the Sys-Partition) didn´t appears. I can´t boot in 64 Bit mode. Only 32 Bit is possible.

Any idea?

MacPro 2,1 (flashed from 1,1 -> 2,1)
2x5355
64Bit-EFI-Emulator (Chameleon)
Working sound with orig. Kext´s
Bolle

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »

Put one of your HDDs that you do not boot from in there and stick the ssd in one of the normal 3.5" slots.
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »

Hi,  Since all my testing is fresh in my memory from successfully getting this working on the weekend, I will say that it seemed important to have the 'BOOT' drive inn one of the hard drive bays not in any of the extra sata ports.  I tested this myself with a working Boot drive in Bay 1 (which worked) and in one of the esata ports (which didint work), so I feel Bolle is right, it must be in one of the HD bays.  Good luck  Smiley!

Edit:  I can confirm that somethign is not reading the two extra SATA ports in 64 bit mode (hence soem of the problems people are having with getting it to work off drives from there).  I cannot read my storage drives connected to those ports.  I wanted to also report that i tried moving the MBR BOOT drive to bay 3 and having my raid setup in Bays 1 & 2.  It did not work for me.  I had to keep the MBR drive in Bay 1.  Hope this helps other people having issues.  Can other people report on their experiences here?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:11:03 PM by grammataki » Logged
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »

-> Salufman.     I had the same problem as you at one stage of my process.  If i rememeber correctly, it was because I had not blessed the right drive and used (1,2) in the chameleonboot.plist so I would get the flashing folder icon.  you must have the drive in one of the HD bays (preferably the first slot), installed chameleon correctly, bless it correctly and it should work after that.  I spent many hours over three days but finally got it working.  Keep trying and you will get there.  Good luck  Smiley
knome

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »

I see from this thread that some people got boot to raid working correctly. I can not seem to do this, have you guys discovered any correlation between hd(0,1) and the raid device needed to get the boot working? Here is my list of available drives:

Mac-Pro:Extra chrisrice$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                  Apple_HFS Boot                    1.1 GB     disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Untitled 2              249.0 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_RAID                         445.9 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OSX                134.2 MB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                 Apple_RAID                         445.9 GB   disk2s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OSX                134.2 MB   disk2s3
/dev/disk3
   0:                  Apple_HFS Main RAID              *891.9 GB   disk3

Also i forgot to mention that i am using the chameleon gui to select the disk. I don't want to use a default disk because i wish to use it to boot a MBR windows disk.
knome

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:16 AM »

Its funny how when i get desperate enough to post on a forum i usually find an answer immediately after. So i figured out you had to select one of the Boot OSX partitions that accompanies the Raid partitions. So it was a matter of just figuring out what order the drive gets discovered in. I want to also pass along for the 6870 i had to disable graphics enabler to get dual monitors working.
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »

congrats on getting it working.  Sorry I couldnt reply sooner butI had the hit the same wall and eventually figured out I have to choose the other raid partition to get it going.  Only issue I still have left is that upon boot, the two extra sata ports bbehind the fan Im using are not recxcognised.  Not sure may be a driver issue or somethign else.  Anyone lese noticed this?  Maybe I need a kext or somethign...anyway, just reporting back my findings.
lizardking

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »

Can somebody explain what kind of serial number should we put here and where more exactly?
Sorry...just want to make sure before proceed

The actual serial number can't be extracted from the system, so you can put your serial number in by editing this in the smbios.plist file:

<key>SMserial</key>
        <string>G666666PUPZ</string>

Thanks  Wink
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »

Its your own serial number from System Profiler.  Insert it save the file and put in the Extra folder on the root of the MBR drive with chameleon.  Hope this helps clarify.

P.S. everythign works very well except that I cant access my two extra hard drives connected to the extra sata ports.  Ill keep working on this one.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:30:25 PM by grammataki » Logged
osc

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »

Thank you for that excellent work.
Should it be possible to create a bootable Chameleon CD compatible with a GUID raid0 normal boot volume ?
So :
  - if I want 64 bit kernel, I boot on the CD
  - if I want the 32 bit by default kernel, I boot on the normal boot volume

PS : I try to setup a upgraded CoreDuo>Core2Duo Mac Mini...
jimjamyaha

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »

Hi,

I've tried this on my macmin1,1 upgraded to a Core2Duo CPU and macmini2,1 EFI.

As my macmini has a broken ethernet port iCloud and AppStore authentication won't work.

By using this boot method iCloud and the AppStore authentication now work - however I haven't been able to get the screen resolution or audio to work?

Any tips?

Many thanks.
lizardking

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »

Thank you so much for offering this to the community
 It works great

I only have one issue regarding sound
 I followed the steps above without success

I am on a former Mac Pro 1.1 running OS X 10.6.8 with a GTX 285 for mac running great

Unfortunately when running in terminal sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
it gives the message that it can't found com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.
 This is not the case when running sudo kextload -v 3 AppleHDA.kext

I feel I am not to far for making everything work

Please advise
 I would really appreciate your help...
grammataki
Not Newbie

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 04:09:19 AM »

To get the audio working I found I had to use terminal as soon as I logged in.  If I opened up any programs it would not work.  If I did it right from login it always works.  Im still trying to get the patch working but Im happy.  Only small issue is it wont read the two storage drives I have running off the extra two ODD SATA ports (which I notice the AppleAHCI.kext does not load when booting into 64 bit.  Have been trying to get it to load using chameleon but no go so far.  Apart from this issue Im happy and will be donating (when I can very soon) to ensure this community continues.  Thanks everyone again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: