netkas.org forum
October 20, 2019, 01:09:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: iMac4,1 and iMac5,1 Firmware Tool Released  (Read 348517 times)
sekonder
Not Newbie

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »

So, i've done with the firmware upgrade. My iMac recognises 4 Gigs of ram now and he shows, that he an iMac 5,1 is. Now i'm gonna upgrade the cpu with t7400.

The important information: The reason of the error message that the script should have an internet connection, is because of the firewall. I deactivated all of the firewalls permanently on my 6 computers in my house, because i've a firewall device, Netgear Prosafe FVS338. I saw minimum 5 times this error message, so that i couldn't upgrade the system. I've disabled the firewall, than it worked!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:48:32 PM by sekonder » Logged
fishing4feeling
Not Newbie

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2013, 01:36:46 AM »

Has anyone noticed how much hotter the imac runs after the cpu upgrade?! The entire left side of my imac is super hot to the touch. Did I forget a screw somewhere or something??  I havn't even installed mountain lion yet
sekonder
Not Newbie

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2013, 07:04:31 AM »

Actually it should be cooler after the upgrade, because of the cpu. Core 2 Duo cpu needs less power so that it keeps cool. Check out inside of the case.

I think, you've applied the thermal paste, or not?  Huh
fishing4feeling
Not Newbie

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »

yes I applied the thermal paste (not too much / not too little) maybe I'll install some temp monitoring software.. don't want it to meltdown on me.
fishing4feeling
Not Newbie

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »

So maybe i could have screwed the heatsink on to the cpu a little tighter but the CPU temp is hovering between 65-72 degrees so it's not too badly in the danger zone.

I just reinstalled Snow Leopard after upgrading my cpu to a 64bit capable Core2 duo hoping to get MacOS installed in 64bit but when I type uname -a from the prompt it still says i386?  Do I have to change the cpu microcode in the bios or something like this? What am I doing wrong??? It should be arch=x86_64 I believe. 

bash-3.2# uname -a
Darwin Jesse-Staceys-iMac.local 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
bash-3.2#
Apeles

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »

hi, I can't upgrade my mac from 4.1 to 5.1, I turn off the mac, I keep the button for a few seconds until light flashes, but then it starts as normal without updating the system...

edit: okay It seems that you updated, at first Airport didn't work, 'Airport Card not detected', seems now repairing permissions returns to work.., I have a question, I want to run the bluestacks but seems to not work, because this happens? Thank you
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:42:30 PM by Apeles » Logged
jjgiangi

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »

I have upgrade my imac with new firmware 5.1, changed cpu widht core2duo 2ghz, added 4gb ram, installed osx10.7 Lion and yeahhhhh... that's all right.
I want add a ssd unit samsung or sandisk 256gb widht sata 3 interface. It's compatible widht the imac Sata controller?
123jesus

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »

I have an iMac 5,2 with a 1.83ghz... i need to unlock the ram limit, i was told that it can go up to 8 gig... is it possible and is there a tool for it?
Ecnerwal

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »

To be clear before I dive in:

If I use the tool on a stock 4,1 I should be able to get the 3GB RAM without upgrading the processor as well?

I think some people have reported that, but it can be a bit unclear as many end up doing both. While I might end up doing both, at the moment getting more RAM capacity is more important than more processor ability, if the two are NOT linked. I appear to be in the distinct minority here - I'm running Lion (less than utterly gruntled) on a 2011 mini only because I can't downgrade it to SL, and the 4,1 imac in question has been running and will continue to run SL. As for ML, my general experience with it is to throw my hands in the air and mutter "WTF, Apple - WTF!" - starting with the fact that I had to pass a 10.4 machine through a 10.7 machine (ie, double-migrate the user - teee-dee-ous) in order to simply manage user migration - the 10.8 machine claimed there was nothing there to migrate when the 10.4 was hooked to it in firewire target mode...

Having only applied an hour or so of research to the problem since discovering the possibility of not just living with it three hours ago (repurposing machine, has been doing what it used to do fine with 1GB) - is there a clear, complete list of acceptable core2duo upgrade processors? The T7600 prices are a bit steep in my present thinking. I'm not seeing one (yet) on any of the "upgrade your iMac" sites, and I don't live and breathe Intel processors - there are WAY too many to sort through, and I generally spend hours at CPUBenchmark when trying to pick one out of a hat - a process that would probably be considerably simplified with a list of what could work, followed by looking at how high (or not there) they are at the 'bay, followed by sifting what remains.

I've seen T7600, T7500 (but intel says that is 800MHz FSB?), T7400 (more TDP? Posts here say it runs hotter, but intel lists them both at 34W) T7200 T5600 mentioned in this thread.
(with considerably more than an hour now invested as I edit this into something that might be of use, eventually)
Not mentioned here but apparently also "667MHz FSB merom Core 2 Duo" : T5750 T5550 T5500 T5450 T5250 L7400 L7200

What socket are we actually looking for? PPGA478 or PBGA479 (as listed on Intel's site)? Neither of which appears to be the "socket P" or "socket M" I see on ebay parts? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_M appears to suggest it would be Socket M? I just love it when there are many ways to buy the wrong part that seems right at first glance...especially when some vendors are claiming multiple socket types (listed as incompatible in the Wikipedia article) for the same chip.

Here's a link to some discussion and a link to better teardown instructions than the MacLife version posted earlier...
http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/51699/Core+Duo+CPU+upgrade+to+Core+2+Duo+CPU

Here is another: http://macstack.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10746 which provides a confirmation of "Socket M" and a shortlist of SocketM Core 2 Duo processors: T5200, T5300, T5500, T5600, T7200, T7400, and T7600
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:06:52 AM by Ecnerwal » Logged
NothingMuchHereToSay

« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2013, 07:26:13 AM »

Does this work on an iMac 4,2?

If so, is there also a way to get Linux to run the firmware update?
Ecnerwal

« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54:17 PM »

Notes: My  4,1 Core Duo (OS 10.6.Cool would not boot with 4GB RAM installed (pre-ROM upgrade.)

Would boot with 2GB in either slot. I did not try it with 3GB installed before upgrading ROM.

Error 5570 - I got it, I disabled Airport and plugged in an ethernet cable, that seemed to solve that.

Still, I had to try many times before it would install. I'd hold down the power button and get the blinky-power-light, or hold it through the blinky-power-light to the long tone, and both ways it would just boot normally without going to a ROM upgrade progress bar. Sometimes (I have disks showing on the desktop in Finder Preferences) I saw it create two RAM disks. One was empty. The time it actually worked, it had only made one RAM disk. But I think it had failed to upgrade with only one RAM disk at an earlier point. Eventually, persistence and/or repetition got it there.

Without upgrading processor (I have not and don't know if I ever will) activity monitor RAM is reported precisely at 3.00 GB (I think some claimed 3.33 - don't know if you would or would not get that with a processor upgrade.) Given what this machine will be doing, I removed 1 2GB stick and replaced it with a 1GB stick. Any (probably very slight) improvement in access is outweighed by completely wasting a 2GB stick capacity wise, unless memory prices go back down again.

Now to see if there's something equivalent (just for the RAM increase) for a MacBook 1,1
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:06:44 PM by Ecnerwal » Logged
risc303

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »

Hi,
     I know this is an old post, but is there a similar way to update the firmware of the iMac 9,1 to take more than 8GB of memory?
Thanks!
m33x

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »

Thank you very much! Works like a charm!

Now, after I upgraded my iMac 4,1 from Core Duo T2500 Yonah to a Core 2 Duo T7200 Merom and installed the Firmware Upgrade it was possible for me to install 10.8.4 Mountain Lion and buy 4GB of DDR2-SO-DIMM 667MHz RAM at Amazon.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1325709

Thank you very much.
wils488

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:35 AM »

Where do I download this tool? "iMac4,1 and iMac5,1 Firmware Tool Released"
I don't see it posted anywhere on this forum.
A little help would be appreciated.
Thank You.
magicbello

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2014, 02:15:24 AM »

Where do I download this tool? "iMac4,1 and iMac5,1 Firmware Tool Released"
I don't see it posted anywhere on this forum.
A little help would be appreciated.
Thank You.

Just register and login  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: