netkas.org forum
October 22, 2020, 07:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: iMac4,1 and iMac5,1 Firmware Tool Released  (Read 419645 times)
alfagard69

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 01:00:16 AM »

Thanks for sharing the awesome Firmware tool.
I bumped my old iMac 4,1 to a 5,1 with it.
This allowed me to install 4GB of RAM, T7600 processor and Lion (via Target mode.)
I did have the HD fan run at full speed after this.
Looked at HDD Fan Control,  but found a great shareware fan controller:  SSD Fan Control.  
You can find it here: http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:03:00 AM by alfagard69 » Logged
zioweb

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »

Last week I have upgrade my iMac 20" (A1174) from T2500 to T7400, very fine. I have installed Bluestacks with Whatsapp and run smoothly.

Thank for the script writer that I can upgrade iMac4.1 to 5.1.

Thank you very much.

In addition, I found the light sensor is normal without any problem.

is a great news: did you upgraded the firmware before the cpu change, or later? on Lion or Leopard?

you're sure that under System Preferences - Display - you'll see the option to set automatically brightness?

I've also tried to restore the firmware at 4,1 version and the ambient light sensor doesn't work anymore.
there is a way to reset the SMC, but a serious way, not the "unplug and replug power"?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:53:17 PM by zioweb » Logged
collieman

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

Thank you so much for this firmware tool that YOU made Grin. Worked first time on a Imac 17" 2006 lol now i have it on 5.1 firmware. Right ebay for cpu upgrade lol

Thanks man Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
ohmahlawdletmeregister07

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 11:18:38 PM »

Oh man, this looks fucking marvelous!
I'm now looking for parts to upgrade my iMac.

One question though: In what order should you do this?

Install CPU, SSD and memory first and firmware last?

Install Firmware first and then replace CPU, put in SSD and memory?
analogcd

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2013, 01:04:13 AM »

Thank you sir. This appears to be just what I need to make my C2D processor upgrade complete. I will post results to confirm proper function. Other upgrade worth mentioning in same 4,1 iMac was an SSD in place of optical drive. The MCE brand adapter works, but for those contemplating same ODD removal, I suggest a different brand. If anyone is interested in the nuances of MCE adapter please chime in and I will respond accordingly.
Aloha,
analogcd
n3m3$1$one

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »

We have tried an iMac 4,1 with both Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors but consistently get the 5570 error and can't get past it.  Has anyone any suggestions or advice?
Alan.
Blackmac

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »

Thank you so much MacEfiRom Smiley

I had got Core Duo 2.0 Ghz imac 4.1(Early 2006). After read your post, decided to upgrade my iMac. Managed to find T7400 Core 2 Duo CPU & installed it with the help of my lovely wife. Then used your flash efi & worked like a charm. Now I've got 64bit processor, 4GB ram. But What I dont understand is System says I got 4GB ram. After Effects CS5.5 Trial shows 4GB totalram. But only in activity monitor I see 3GB available ram. Which is true?

I have the same question...

AE shows 4 GB installed (I have 4 GB) but Avtivity Monitor shows 3GB!

Huh Huh Huh
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:00:23 PM by Blackmac » Logged
blacksheep

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »

Activity Monitor shows addressable memory and it's always correct. It's chipset limitation AFAIK.
calebjcook

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »

i was given an iMac 4,1 and used this firmware tool to allow the installation of more RAM.

a big thanks to the OP and those who wrote the firmware tool. it worked exactly as advertised.

great work Cheesy
sekonder
Not Newbie

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2013, 03:00:13 PM »

Thank you so much for this amazing script. I'm about to do this, and i'm not sure, how i should start. Do i have to change the cpu first or run the script? Could anyone tell me?
fishing4feeling
Not Newbie

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2013, 06:15:16 AM »

I just implanted my new core 2 duo processor in my imac 4,1 and it's a great deal faster now, but your upgrade tool says "this program requires internet access please connect your imac to the internet and try again" then closes. I'm on the internet posting this right now so I don't understand the issue?!
sekonder
Not Newbie

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »

So, I didn't know that the 4,1 motherboard supports Core2Duo processor. That means, that i can upgrade the cpu first.

@Fishing4feeling

Have you changed just the processor or hdd and ram too? How faster is your imac now?
fishing4feeling
Not Newbie

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:41 PM »

I just changed the CPU, ordered a T7600 merom cpu on ebay for 90$. I will upgrade the ram to 2x2GB ddr2 667 (or 800) 200pin ram as soon as I get this firmware applied
sekonder
Not Newbie

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 06:40:48 AM »

Yes, that's what i want to do. The uncle ebay gave me a t7400 for 25€.

I hope, you're gonna be done with applying the script. Did you try it on Snow Leopard or on Leopard? Somebody on this thread said, the script was coded on Snow Leopard, that's why it could gave an error on Leopard or something like that.
fishing4feeling
Not Newbie

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »

Okay after the tedious job of transplanting the new merom cpu, I applied the firmware finally and everything is working. The first time I tried executing the firmware it said I couldn't because I didn't have an internet connection, so I unplugged my LAN connection (which has internet) and activated wireless instead. Mysteriously it worked, then I had a new error while it was extracting (error 5570 or something) so I just kept trying until finally it went through and rebooted. I held the power down to start, and it made a noise that sounded like the fire drill alarm, and it went through no problems. When I got in the first time everything was working except the wireless, so I rebooted again, and it was back. Now everything works says imac 5,1 with core2 duo, and I'm going to go ahead with the SSD / ram upgrade which is a little easier than the last with the CPU hidden away in the back underneath everything. I have managed to connect everything back except the camera which I will have to go back in and fix when I upgrade to SSD.

The wiring is very difficult when putting everything back together, take lots of pictures!  Any 667mhz merom cpu on ebay should work. The speed difference with the 64bit core2 duo is immediately noticeable, and I haven't even reinstalled MacOS to be 64bit or added 4GB ram / SSD. 

Have fun!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: