netkas.org forum
January 22, 2019, 04:18:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: iMac4,1 and iMac5,1 Firmware Tool Released  (Read 303916 times)
Czarembo

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 04:20:37 PM »

I'm looking forward to being able to install Lion on my Mac-Mini.  How much ram will the MacMini1,1 and MacMini2,1, rom update permit?  is the limitation 4GB?  Thanks so much for attempting this!
pieterg

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »

Hi,

It crashed on my iMac 4,1 on Tiger. Can you explain what I'm doing wrong?

Date/Time:       2011-09-23 23:09:04.898 +0200
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version:  6
Anonymous UUID:  xxx

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  unknown required load command 0x80000022

--

ROM-version:   IM41.0055.B08
SMC-version:   1.1f5
xi1inx
Not Newbie

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »

I got a similare error message under Leopard. Successfuly worked under Snow Leopard. Perhaps a question of library.
Ashgrove

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »

Well, this is interesting.

I have an iMac 5,1. It's the 17" model with a 2Ghz C2D processor. It has 4GB of RAM installed (of which it uses only 3, but it runs a little faster). Running 10.7.2 with all the updates.

I was directed from another forum to this thread and thought it would be a good way to get all my RAM recognized and used, and perhaps install more. So last night I downloaded the app, did the EFI downgrade, and now my iMac is a vegetable. It just sits there with a dark screen and does not respond to any commands.

Any ideas?
lasertony

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »

@Ashgrove
I think it is physically impossible for the 2006 iMac to adress more than 3 Gb of memory.  The performance you had with your 5,1 logic board and 4Gb installed (of which 3 usable) was 'as good as it gets' for these iMacs...  It is only for the 4,1 logic board that it becomes interesting to use this utility.  You can upgrade memory above the 2 Gb limit of this board and use the 5,1's limit which is 3Gb (4 installed).  You can also use it to make your life easier installing Lion.  The utility lets you 'downgrade' a previously upgraded 4,1 board back to its original state.  I don't think it was ever the intention to downgrade an original 5,1 as this makes upgrading to Lion impossible...
As far as I understand things I suppose you now have a 4,1 logic board (at least according to the firmware) that doesn't support your Core2Duo processor...  Maybe you can get it to boot by installing a Core Duo processor ?

I, on the otherhand, need to repair my late 2006 imac which has issues with the GPU.  I can't find a 2,16Ghz C2D logic board without spending a small fortune.  I can find cheap Core Duo logic boards, however.  So I am planning to find a good one of those, put my 2,16 C2D processor on it and upgrade it to 5,1.  The problem is that I am already running Lion.  I already did the upgrade because my previous logic board was original 5,1 and upgraded to Lion without any problems. 
Will my iMac boot up when I install the replacement logic board ?  Do I need to alter PlatformSupport.plist with the replacement logic board's ID ?
Ashgrove

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »

@lasertony

You're absolutely right. I found out the hard way that the utility would nuke my board. Serves me right for not reading the whole disclaimer.

As for your new board, yes, you will have to delete PlatformSupport.plist in order for it to boot, because it checks the board ID, not the EFI. My Core Solo mini is upgraded to a T7200 Core 2 Duo and runs Lion like a dream. I installed it from my iMac via Target Disk Mode, and then deleted the file.

It upgraded fine to 10.7.1, but the 10.7.2 upgrade installed PlatformSupport.plist back, so it wouldn't boot from the internal HDD. Fortunately I keep an external backup drive that's updated nightly via SuperDuper, so I booted from that one, deleted the file in the internal, and was back in business. You can do that, and won't have a problem.

There is a place in Fremont, CA, called DT&T, where they replace your logic board for a song. I'm sending them my iMac. They have been taking care of the Macs I can't fix myself (or that I destroy ;-) for years. They are super cheap and very reliable. Mind you, I live in Florida, and even with shipping back and forth it's cheaper than fixing it here...

And I have seen logic boards for your model on eBay for around $100-$150. Check it out.
lasertony

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »

@Ashgrove
Thanks for the reply.
Is it best to just delete PlatformSupport.plist or can I just insert the replacement board's ID into the file ?

As for a logic board:  I've checked ebay several times in the last few weeks... The board I need isn't there.  (Are things ever there when you really need them ? ;-))  I'm sure that when I finish getting the Core Duo board installed a good Core2Duo board will appear on ebay within minutes :-)  Just my luck...

DT&T sounds nice.  Unfortunately I'm all the way over in Europe...  If they could send me a cheap board, that would be great.  I've had the old board out several times to try and fix the GPU problem (new thermal paste, etc) so I'm getting used to tearing the iMac apart...  Sending the whole thing over to California will be too expensive, I think...

Ashgrove

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »

@lasertony

Yeah, I see why DT&T wouldn't work out for you, LOL. Well, look at the bright side: if a C2D logicboard shows up right after you install yours, you already have a working iMac anyway. And if the firmware tool works as well as they say, it'll all wash out.

As for the PlatformSupport.plist file, it might be possible to edit it the way you say. I haven't read any reports about it working, though.

And (while I'm no advocate of violence) I find that sometimes the bazooka-at-close-range approach works best. Nute the b*****d. It serves no purpose anyway, other than making your life miserable.
davymoseley

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 03:49:58 AM »

I successfully upgraded my iMac4,1 (Early 2006 20 inch) last month. I did the firmware upgrade to iMac5,1, upgraded the original T2500 to a T7200 and installed 4 gigs of 667MHz DDR2 RAM, and popped in a 1TB WD Black HDD. Installed Lion under Target disk mode as there is no way to change the board ID, and this is easier for me than hacking the installer image. It's been working great. A real screamer. My only problem is System Profiler reports 4 gigs of RAM, but Activity Monitor only recognizes 3 gigs. Also, I had to buy and install HDD Fan Control to control fan noise. Post Lion install, my iMacs internal fans blow at near full speed. I'm thinking I may not have gotten the temp sensor affixed to the hard drive good enough. I'll check that the next time I have time to open the iMac back up, but since it's kind of a pain I'm not gonna worry about it. Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with fan noise after installing Lion on an upgraded Mac. Thanks for all the information. Great thread.  Cool
brex

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »

Tanks XL to NETKAS --- excellent work !
brex

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »

Direct THANKS to MacEFIRom --------------- brexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cardo45

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »

boot your mac with chameleon, you can fake there you board-id via smbios.plist, check another thread for chameleon on mac

Is this or any firmware upgrade necessary for upgrading the processors in a 2010 5,1 macro 2xE5620 Quad 2.4ghz to either of the 2010 5,1 hex processors 5650 or 5670 or 5690?
lwb250`

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »

I successfully upgraded my iMac4,1 (Early 2006 20 inch) last month. I did the firmware upgrade to iMac5,1, upgraded the original T2500 to a T7200 and installed 4 gigs of 667MHz DDR2 RAM, and popped in a 1TB WD Black HDD. Installed Lion under Target disk mode as there is no way to change the board ID, and this is easier for me than hacking the installer image. It's been working great. A real screamer. My only problem is System Profiler reports 4 gigs of RAM, but Activity Monitor only recognizes 3 gigs. Also, I had to buy and install HDD Fan Control to control fan noise. Post Lion install, my iMacs internal fans blow at near full speed. I'm thinking I may not have gotten the temp sensor affixed to the hard drive good enough. I'll check that the next time I have time to open the iMac back up, but since it's kind of a pain I'm not gonna worry about it. Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with fan noise after installing Lion on an upgraded Mac. Thanks for all the information. Great thread.  Cool

Ditto!

I replaced the CD 2.0G processor in my 20" iMac 4,1 last week with a T7600 and it worked like a champ.  I just found the EFI update last night and installed it so now it will recognize 3 gigs of RAM. I have a disk image of Lion with the modified plist file so it will ignore the machine/board numbers, so once everything was back together I just booted from a system CD and installed the image on to the new drive.

I also did the hard drive upgrade from the stock 250GB drive to a 750GB WD.  I did not, however, run the SMC fan control.  I wish I had, as the heat load killed the drive within a week.  I didn't even think about it until it was too late. Angry

So as a warning to those who might swap out the stock drive for a larger one, be sure to install the SMC fan control utility and monitor those temperatures!

LWB250
Excalibur360

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »

Hi, I'm very happy to read that I can do something with memory limitation on my iMac 20'' early 2006.  Where can I get this Firmware utiliy Tool ?

Thanks,

Martial
slite

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 12:02:46 AM »

Hi, I'm very happy to read that I can do something with memory limitation on my iMac 20'' early 2006.  Where can I get this Firmware utiliy Tool ?

Thanks,

Martial

It is on the very bottom of the first post.  Make sure you are logged in.  Its a .zip file.

I cant wait to try this.  My neighbor GAVE me her 4,1 yesterday for FREE because she bought a brand new one and I have already ordered a T7600 and 4GB RAM.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: