netkas.org forum
October 15, 2019, 03:17:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: 6970 reports  (Read 741873 times)
harry4567
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »

found a bug from the driver while i'm using photoshop.
Using hardware acceleration with mode normal or higher will give out 'xoxoxoxo' pattern screen. check the screenshot below.

But here the magic comes, if you're trying to disable it or turn it into basic mode, it becomes normal again:

How strange is it! lol

edit: i'm using HIS 6950 2GB w/o unlock shaders.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:15:25 PM by harry4567 » Logged
Tervicz
Not Newbie

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »

Testing a Saphire HD6950 but find myself in a bit of a unique issue. When my 3,1 Mac Pro gets stuck on the grey screen, of course, as per Netkas, the solution is to reset the machine, or in the case of an authentic Mac Pro, initially boot to Windows then restart into OSX. My dilemma is that I have an Apple Raid Card which does not play nice with Bootcamp. I tried to get creative to see if a Linux (Knoppix in this case) Live DVD would solve my issue. It loads fine but doesn't seem to cut it in terms of getting OSX to load on restart. It is worth mentioning I have tried this with just the flashed BIOS since I cannot see the boot screen to load Knoppix with the stock Bios. Any suggestions?

Have had some success. Turns out that loading Windows (on a Mac Pro) before rebooting into OSX isn't, in itself, enough. It has to be Windows WITH the supplied driver disk installed. Perhaps someone here more knowledgable knows why but as it stands, that is the case. I am guessing the drivers initial something in the card which is why you must restart and not shut down. Now, in my instance, I have an Apple RAID card which is NOT compatible with Boot Camp. I am going to attempt to install Windows onto an eSata drive using different bootloader (probably rEFIt) to see if I can get it working. Will let, ya'all know how it turns out.
MacTech84
Not Newbie

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »

Has anyone attempted the latest update? 11c55 just came out, going to try it later but wanted to know if anyone has had some success...
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

c55 and c48 has same ati driver version...

there is no hopes until 10.7.3 really
andystubbs

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »

I tried c55 this morning and although the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle patch allowed me to boot I couldn't stop iTunes from causing a kernel panic even when using the patched ATIRadeonX3000.kext.

Not sure why that would happen if they are the same driver versions - perhaps I have just screwed up permissions somewhere along the line Sad

P.S This reminds me - Lion insists on opening whichever apps were open at the time of the kernel panic after a reboot (including the app that caused the KP in the first place) and in the case of iTunes it simply causes another KP and another reboot. How do you stop this annoying KP - reboot cycle so that you can at least get a chance to fix the problem?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:16:43 PM by andystubbs » Logged
MacTech84
Not Newbie

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 02:19:48 AM »

c55 and c48 has same ati driver version...

there is no hopes until 10.7.3 really

That's what I am hoping for as well...

I tried c55 this morning and although the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle patch allowed me to boot I couldn't stop iTunes from causing a kernel panic even when using the patched ATIRadeonX3000.kext.

Not sure why that would happen if they are the same driver versions - perhaps I have just screwed up permissions somewhere along the line Sad

P.S This reminds me - Lion insists on opening whichever apps were open at the time of the kernel panic after a reboot (including the app that caused the KP in the first place) and in the case of iTunes it simply causes another KP and another reboot. How do you stop this annoying KP - reboot cycle so that you can at least get a chance to fix the problem?

For my system I ended up ripping apart the native installer package, unarchived the archive.pax, and used a next installer on my system.  For some reason it just didn't work for me but now it does.  iTunes = forcequit on launch, and with my method above, iTunes works very well with the patched files.  Two things I find interesting with 11c55, is that the system as a whole is a lot smoother but be sure to turn off GraphicsEnabler=Yes.  I reinstalled somethings including my bootloader and for some reason with GraphicsEnabler=Yes on this build it KP's during boot.
andystubbs

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2011, 06:30:19 AM »

Working now, looks like my permissions were a little screwed.
Tervicz
Not Newbie

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »

After some 30-40 hours of tests, I can't find a workaround for the Apple Raid Card (i.e. booting Win on a Mac Pro w/o bootcamp). Apple just makes no drivers for that card. I have tried other means of booting Windows from the Mac Pro USB/eSATA/DVD each with varying degrees of success/failure. I won't go into detail unless someone just wants me to but the long and short of it is, your gonna have to ditch the Apple RAID Card if you got one. I just finished ripping mine out mirthful hate-filled glee. Sorry I couldn't find a solution.  Embarrassed
etc

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »

Same sh*t on PowerColor HD 6970 =/

4770K/Z97 Deluxe/GTX 1080 FE + GTX 690 Ref.
Rominator

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2011, 06:52:01 AM »

And here are my notes:

1. Buying a used card on Ebay STINKS !!! And I mean it really stank the second I opened the box. The owner had obviously spent last 6 months exhaling all of his smoke through his computer.
2. Card is an HIS 6950, of reference design. I tried to find a new one, but nobody carries anymore...so used it was.
3. Was able to use "Rom Creator" to read PC BIOS in and combine with Netkas 2nd 6950 EFI ROM. Was NOT able to flash with Zeus.
4. Flashed in DOS...and discovered something WAY COOL about buying used card. In the "locked" rom, was the original 6950 ROM...in the 2nd position is a 6970 rom for the card modded with 6950 id. I had already made ROM with "pro" 50 version, so first tests with that. I will tomorrow make one with "XT" version and see what happens.
5. Flash went fine. Boot screen on lower DVI port as promised. But as others have noted, it only will complete boot if you have just closed Windows. I have not figured out how to "reset" Mac Pro, so Windows boot it is. As someone else posted, it seems that Windows boot needed to have had drivers loaded for 6950 or it still won't complete boot into Lion.
6. Booted into Lion no problem after Windows 7.
7. Just like 6870, boot screens are Single Link....on 30" that means 1280x800. Looks like it is drawn with crayons. Once driver finishes loading it switches to grey Apple screen in proper res, then desktop. If you haven't done the Windows trick, it halts right after correcting resolution into Dual Link.
8. Did I mention how gross it is smelling someone else's cigarette smoke being blown in your face by a GPU fan? Oh....sorry.
9.Card's OpenGl scores seem in GTX275/GTX460 range.
10. Card booted on EFI32 Mac Pro just fine first time. This was just with Netkas' fixed drivers....no EFI deal. I had a 7300GT in as well. But once I rebooted, even the 2006 Mac Pro had the "lock on grey  screen" thing. Once Netkas finds fix for grey lock....this will become the new "Must Have" ATI card.
11. Everyone THINKS they want biggest baddest card, but I predict that many will opt for 6950. Similar speed, and easily connected to existing power cables in Mac Pro.

I am about to sit down and watch some of the new Star Wars BluRays (no, not on my iPad) so more fiddling will have to wait for tomorrow or Sunday. I will test monitor combos, etc then.

Fun to see Netkas' months of fiddling around with 6970 finally coming to fruition. A "Thank You" to the King of Mac ATI roms.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
MacTech84
Not Newbie

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2011, 07:10:21 AM »

Rominator I feel your pain....  I work on computers and when I see the ones come in with smoke damage, and I mean so bad the goo build up on the fans is sticky, I want to throw up on the computer to make it better.  Luckily we can declare those biohazards! But trust me, I feel your pain...
etc

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2011, 07:15:36 AM »

7. Just like 6870, boot screens are Single Link....on 30" that means 1280x800.

After few restarts you get the correct resolution of boot screen.

4770K/Z97 Deluxe/GTX 1080 FE + GTX 690 Ref.
andystubbs

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »

8. Did I mention how gross it is smelling someone else's cigarette smoke being blown in your face by a GPU fan? Oh....sorry.

Give it a spray clean with a can of contact cleaner.
DuBzilla.the.Hun
Not Newbie

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 08:46:07 PM »

just wanted to report success with crossfired, unlocked 6950s, using the pkg installer

mac os only shows one, but I can still use both in windows.

brand is Diamond, board is reference design.

comp is mac pro 2,1 with 10.7.1
MachineShedFred

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2011, 01:53:32 AM »

Installed a 6950 in a MacPro4,1.  Working as advertised - have to boot into Win7 and then warm boot to Mac OS X.  Games that don't use MSAA, or use only MSAA 1x (effectively disabled) work great.  Steam apps don't even launch from the library.

Netkas - you allude to changing values in the videoconfig_mac.cfg files:  I assume it's the ScreenMSAA and ScreenMSAAQuality values.  I've tried multiple value combinations and TF2 still crashes every time.  Did you find a combo that works?

FYI, I tried:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: