netkas.org forum
July 21, 2019, 10:57:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: 6970 reports  (Read 717099 times)
rabhw
Not Newbie

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »

Really glad to see its working for most people, but I'm having an issue myself...

I'm on a P8P67 Pro. I installed Lion using Andy's Guide + Packages. I have Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1062 Andy Boot 5.0 installed to the system drive.

After that, I installed the latest "Standard" package from this thread, and rebooted. Unfortunately I can't boot now. If I don't set -v, it gets stuck on a blank grey screen after the Apple logo + spinner disappear. If I set -v, then after going through the entire boot process, when the OSstarts the screen is corrupt (attached image). From this point on nothing happens.

I've tried setting GraphicsEnabler to Yes and No from the boot flags in chameleon. I can boot with -x, and I can also boot if I delete the X3000 kext, obviously without acceleration though.

This is on a system with two 6950's in Crossfire, but I've tried removing the second card and having only a single card in, the same corruption is present with -v on. I've also tried the top and bottom DVI ports on the single 6950, both have the same issue.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:28 PM »

this is called disco-screen and it means you fucked up the framebuffer (atisupport+atiframebuffer+atixxxxcontroller kexts)
rabhw
Not Newbie

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »

Hey netkas, thanks for your reply and your hard work on getting 6970 working...

About the framebuffer being messed up, sorry for the noob question, but how would I go about repairing it? Is it something I simply need to set in my boot.plist? Not meaning to ask for a full tutorial, even a point in the right direction would be appreciated Smiley

I just tried deleting ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle as suggested here: http://netkas.org/?p=807 but still no luck, still disco-screen. hmm

So close yet so far!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:16:07 PM by rabhw » Logged
plans
Not Newbie

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36:37 AM »

With all the recent bug fixes (itunes, msaa, etc..) what kind of benchmarks / performance are we seeing from this card in games and pro apps?

I'm going to get a new Lion partition setup and start testing / posting. But if it's unstable I'll wait.
Adam1203

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »

Really glad to see its working for most people, but I'm having an issue myself...

I'm on a P8P67 Pro. I installed Lion using Andy's Guide + Packages. I have Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1062 Andy Boot 5.0 installed to the system drive.

After that, I installed the latest "Standard" package from this thread, and rebooted. Unfortunately I can't boot now. If I don't set -v, it gets stuck on a blank grey screen after the Apple logo + spinner disappear. If I set -v, then after going through the entire boot process, when the OSstarts the screen is corrupt (attached image). From this point on nothing happens.

I've tried setting GraphicsEnabler to Yes and No from the boot flags in chameleon. I can boot with -x, and I can also boot if I delete the X3000 kext, obviously without acceleration though.

This is on a system with two 6950's in Crossfire, but I've tried removing the second card and having only a single card in, the same corruption is present with -v on. I've also tried the top and bottom DVI ports on the single 6950, both have the same issue.

I had the EXACT same problem with the 6950s. I fixed it by flashing them to 6970. The driver for some reason doesn't like the 6950 bios.
rabhw
Not Newbie

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 02:28:20 AM »

Hmmm, interesting.

I've unlocked the shaders to be the same amount of shaders as 6970, but I opted not to flash the 6970 bios because I didn't want my clock speeds / power requirements to be any higher than they are...

Interesting though, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Edit: I can confirm that was the issue. For anyone with a 6950 getting the issue I posted about above, flashing it to a full 6970 bios (rather than just unlocked shaders) fixed it.

Thanks so much for posting that tip.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:20:37 AM by rabhw » Logged
DN38416

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 06:23:24 AM »

Hmmm, interesting.

I've unlocked the shaders to be the same amount of shaders as 6970, but I opted not to flash the 6970 bios because I didn't want my clock speeds / power requirements to be any higher than they are...

Interesting though, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Edit: I can confirm that was the issue. For anyone with a 6950 getting the issue I posted about above, flashing it to a full 6970 bios (rather than just unlocked shaders) fixed it.

Thanks so much for posting that tip.

I have a 6950 with just the shaders unlocked but I don't get this issue. It is connected via HDMI from card to DVI in monitor.
EDIT: I have the Gigabyte 2GB version if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:27:01 AM by DN38416 » Logged
rabhw
Not Newbie

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »

I have a 6950 with just the shaders unlocked but I don't get this issue. It is connected via HDMI from card to DVI in monitor.

Strange. I have a 2GB XFX 6950 (well, two of them in Crossfire). Connected via DVI from card to DVI in monitor. There shouldn't be a difference between XFX and Gigabyte as they are both reference cards...but for whatever reason flashing to a "full" 6970, rather than just the unlocked shaders, made it work instantly without any other changes.
Adam1203

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »

Strange. I have a 2GB XFX 6950 (well, two of them in Crossfire). Connected via DVI from card to DVI in monitor. There shouldn't be a difference between XFX and Gigabyte as they are both reference cards...but for whatever reason flashing to a "full" 6970, rather than just the unlocked shaders, made it work instantly without any other changes.

I think the problem is when you use the 6950 BIOS with DVI. If you notice, the above poster used HDMI.

I don't think the shader unlock has anything to do with it, because I tried it on the ROM BIOS as well, no juice.

I would use the HDMI, but my 360 is using the HDMI on my monitor.... so 6970 it is.

I hope Netkas the genius can find a fix for the UVD. It would be awesome to use Facetime, photobooth, cover flow, etc.
killercheung

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »

[I think the problem is when you use the 6950 BIOS with DVI. If you notice, the above poster used HDMI.

I don't think the shader unlock has anything to do with it, because I tried it on the ROM BIOS as well, no juice.

I would use the HDMI, but my 360 is using the HDMI on my monitor.... so 6970 it is.

I hope Netkas the genius can find a fix for the UVD. It would be awesome to use Facetime, photobooth, cover flow, etc.

I'm using the asus6950full.bin bios search from the internet, and I'm using DVI, but I don't have any problem except sometimes suck in the grey boot screen (which netkas already said it's normal).   My card is gigabyte card too, but I agree that if it's a reference card, there should be no difference.

netkas
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »

few theories why we have problems with 69x0

first, UVD, it's a c++ class missing function problem, there is some instance function called for device to init some uvd functions, and it's just missing for 6970, nothing you can do here except patch to skip it. (analogy in obj-c, you have a class of some protocol, but not implemented a function of that protocol and trying to call it).

now gldriver, two functions changed in 69x0 comparing to 68x0 (and rest of evergreen and NI line): shader compiler and AA modes

first was fixed by my patch changing card family to proper one, second seems to be not implemented yet for 69x0
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:43:55 PM by netkas » Logged
rabhw
Not Newbie

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »

Hmmm yeah, parts of Coda (web dev. app) are still causing the screen to lock up. I guess because of something with gldriver? Still not quite working yet.

Almost there though, hopefully the great progress continues.
pol982002
Not Newbie

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 12:53:15 AM »

Netkas im starting testing 6970

my mac pro 5.1 mod

first power cable in graphic card 6pin = 2 x pci e power cable Bridget to one 6 pin cable ( each on mainbord gives 75w so 2 of them 150w +- 20% )

second power cable 8 pins = power from hdd tray = 2 x sata power cable multiply = 4 sata power 2 of them for my ssd hdd and 2 of them to sata amolex > 2 amolex to 8 pins (150W +-20%)

I have tons of cable in dvd bay but is working

Anybody have other solution but to avoid extra power suppl.

i will try some differences version of bios file + efi

* photo.JPG (112.7 KB, 640x478 - viewed 682 times.)
Tervicz
Not Newbie

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »

Testing a Saphire HD6950 but find myself in a bit of a unique issue. When my 3,1 Mac Pro gets stuck on the grey screen, of course, as per Netkas, the solution is to reset the machine, or in the case of an authentic Mac Pro, initially boot to Windows then restart into OSX. My dilemma is that I have an Apple Raid Card which does not play nice with Bootcamp. I tried to get creative to see if a Linux (Knoppix in this case) Live DVD would solve my issue. It loads fine but doesn't seem to cut it in terms of getting OSX to load on restart. It is worth mentioning I have tried this with just the flashed BIOS since I cannot see the boot screen to load Knoppix with the stock Bios. Any suggestions?
chesbiscuit

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

Having some trouble with new MSI 6950 OC

Used the standard installer, and machine boots nicely. Crashes with MPAA as you might expect.

My difficulty is that sleep is non-functional. I can manually enter sleep (though auto-sleep doesn't work), but the machine doesn't fully come out of it. Upon wake via mouse / keyboard / pwr button, I can see the desktop and move the mouse, but nothing can be clicked and no blinking cursors blink any more. Essentially it's a static image of my desktop except for a moving mouse.

I've tried putting my old 9800gt back in the machine with the same setup and sleep works fine - strongly suggesting it's something to do with the 6950.

Any suggestions / help appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: