netkas.org forum
December 10, 2018, 01:57:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashing GTX 980 Ti is possible ?  (Read 22000 times)
webberlai

« on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »

Hi , I was wonder is it possible to flashing GTX 980 Ti for Mac Pro 5.1 Huh

I just received the card I order last week , works fine .

But I don't know if my graphic card is not support EFI , How can I switch bootcamp back to Mac OS if I can't see the boot screen Huh

So I can't use my bootcamp now . I saw some people sale Mac Edition GTX 980 Ti on eBay . but that's really expensive ...

Thanks for any reply

Webber
Fl0r!an

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »

It's possible but the EFI is not available to public, also requires some decent soldering skills.

It's perfectly normal that you don't see the bootscreen, no PC card is able to show it.
S.M.T.
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:02:15 PM »

So there isn't going to be a EFI flash for the 980Ti?

You can use a utility called Bootchamp to boot into Windows, that is what I do...
http://www.kainjow.com
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »

There is a flash for 980ti for those in Americas - http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p49/Nvidia_GTX_980_Ti_6_GB.html
S.M.T.
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »

Is there no option for a DIY?  Meaning the only method is to swap the ROM with one that is not available to the public?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:14:52 PM by Supersirlink » Logged
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »

This time nvidia hasn't released any maxwell cards for Mac. So you wont find any public roms for maxwell.
S.M.T.
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »

That's a bummer, but thanks for the clarification.
zimmergeil
Not Newbie

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »

I have a 980ti on the way and it's quite annoying that there is no rom for it, for a lot of people it just isn't economically feasible to use mvc since the price would be completely ridiculous with shipping and taxes.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »

You have to think about this the other way around:
If MVC handed the ROM out for free, all this EFI development and testing stuff would be just a time-consuming and ridiculously expensive hobby which he obviously wouldn't do if there wasn't any chance to get his time payed (which in turn means there wouldn't be a Maxwell EFI at all!).

If a clever guy with a lot of free time comes around and develops a Maxwell EFI for free, fine, but as you can see there is no such guy, MVC is the only one.

Maybe you could convince MVC to ship a EFI-flashed EEPROM to you and you solder it on the card yourself. Would be a good deal for both of you.
zimmergeil
Not Newbie

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »

You have to think about this the other way around:
Frankly I don't think I can

Maybe you could convince MVC to ship a EFI-flashed EEPROM to you and you solder it on the card yourself. Would be a good deal for both of you.
I wouldn't dare soldering on a card that expensive.
S.M.T.
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »

That is something I would pay for...  Smiley
Fl0r!an

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:49:01 AM »

Then there's no need to complain, soldering a larger EEPROM on the card is a obligatory step (the default one is too small for Mac EFI).
trumanhw

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »

Then there's no need to complain, soldering a larger EEPROM on the card is a obligatory step (the default one is too small for Mac EFI).

Which ROM do I need to order (part number) and which is the flash I need to do it? I have good soldering skills... any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: