netkas.org forum
September 25, 2017, 02:27:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is metal graphics rendering used by OSX  (Read 22591 times)
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »

The app is too old.
mysticalos

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »

Just sad the only thing that even exists to test if metal is even working, is a screen saver written in metal. No Metal demos. No metal used anywhere in OS by apple. No Games or apps using it. DX12 had plenty of things to test it with when it shipped. It just goes to show only MS can get away with a proprietary api. Apple going proprietary instead of OpenGL will probably be nail in coffin for OS X ports for a lot of the indie devs. big devs will get on board because they can be bothered to maintain 3-4 apis at same time. Or they'll let companies like aspyr do it. Apple really needs to survive and support open standards (that aren't 5 years out of date). Not more fragmentation developers aren't supporting.

Anyways, here is the metal screen saver to test metal if anyone wants it.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/55497/rainingcubes
mikeboss

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »

Just sad the only thing that even exists to test if metal is even working,

this test app should show if metal is active or not ->

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-5-1-and-metal-gpu-compatibility….1910084/#post-22005091
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:21:36 PM by mikeboss » Logged
mysticalos

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 01:47:04 AM »

El captan has been out 3 weeks now (not including the many weeks of public free to use beta devs could play with without even buying a developer account).
# of games using metal: 0.
# of productivity apps using Metal: 0.
# of benchmark apps using metal: 0
# of screen savers using metal: 1

At least we have that last one right?
I was worried this is what would happen. Some developers will support it eventually, but as a pretty low priority. Even adobe scrapped it after being one of the ones to demo it in July.

Blizzard is working on bringing metal to their games but has gone as far to say right now it's kind of pointless to release since it's too buggy to use anyways and requires fixes from apple.

Would have been happier if they bumped opengl to 4.5 instead, then waited for vulkan
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:49:25 AM by mysticalos » Logged
mysticalos

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 02:00:36 AM »

The first app to have functional metal
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20043464897

A beta of course. I've done some brief testing, it works so far on 980ti hack. But the game realm is not yet up to fully test it until later tonight. I shall certainly try though and try to generate some comparative benchmarks. Unfortunately I'll have to compare it to opengl live because opengl beta has a bug in it where it crashes on video cards with more than 4 gigs of vram, so i'll compare lives opengl to beta's metal on equiv settings in same area as best I can.

My consensus. Performance is FAR lower than opengl 2.1. On top of that there is a clear memory leak somewhere. Not sure if it's blizzards fault or apples but metal managed to fill up 32 gigs of ram in under 10 minutes
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:27:17 AM by mysticalos » Logged
superdx

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 12:02:05 AM »

Seems some improvements have been done and Metal performance has been a bit higher. My WoW sub has expired so I can't test this but hopefully is the company with enough resources to take advantage of this. Game graphics on Macs have been pretty terrible so this is one piece of good news!
space1999

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 09:59:55 AM »

Hi guys.

If you use OceanWave Open CL Benchmark, you can see an acceleration ( between 10 for Nvidia and 35% for AMD cards ) on Metal compatible cards

Appreciate Difference on GPU<GPU<Vram Speed

An HD 7950 change for 165 GB/s IE 110
jeanlain

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »

Huh oceanWave doesn't use Metal.
jeanlain

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »

Okay guys. I must admit I was a little bit wrong. Now tested intel HD Graphics 5000 and it seems it utilizes Metal there for both WindowServer and Preview apps.

RC1 seems to be intel-only metal gui.

Presence of both default.metallib in used resources and IGAccelCommandQueue is a good evidence.

It looks like currently gui uses both Metal and OpenGL, because removing openGL driver ( file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver ) leads to no HW acceleration for GUI, WindowServer stops using Metal (not even loads HD5000MTLDriver), but little cube Metal app still works HW accelerated.
Interestingly, in Sierra the window server is no longer associated with a commandQueue at all, only an GLContext (tested on an intel HD6000). Like if Apple had abandoned the idea of a window server based on Metal. However, many apps in Sierra (even old apps that were not updated in years) are now associated with commandQueues on all supported GPUs. I guess this has something to do with core graphics being based on Metal.
I'm curious to know if the window server ONLY uses Metal in 10.13, and whether it does on all supported GPUs rather than just intel's. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:44:31 PM by jeanlain » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: