netkas.org forum
May 25, 2019, 12:55:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool Released  (Read 859355 times)
miguelinnnnn

« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2012, 03:52:53 AM »

Great!!!!

I bought a Macpro with 2x 1.86 quad xeons, and it came with Lion 10.7.2 server installed, and I kept getting jkernel panics every 1/2 hours.... I rulled out ram, my SSD HDD. Then I did a fresh Lion install... no good.... I Installed Snow Leopard and it was stable....then I updated to 10.6.8..kernel panics all over the place.....its .only stable until 10.6.7.

Now I changed the firmware to 2,1 (2007) and I've been runing over 24 hours... with no issues... I'll do a time machine backup..... and update to Lion to see what happens.

cheerS! thanks!!! a looooooot....
verdf
Not Newbie

:)

« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:15 PM »

That's cool! Thanks!

Always gotta remember to do a backup!

sweetspud
Not Newbie

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:23 PM »

Guys!

No solution for a user-friendly MP11.005D.B00 firmware tool??
cyclonmills

« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »

IM really confused. i run the update.

Shutdown my macpro.

Then i restart it, hold the button down and it just turns off. what am i doing wrong.

the alternative is i wait for the shutdown. turn on it then reboots a short time later and then it does nothing  but boot back into the same firmware as before.

any clue when i need to hold the power button down ?.. maybe im just stupid lol.

thanks guys
cyclonmills

« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »

Hmm amazing what a bit of patience does. I managed to work it out. my mac pro 1.1 is now 2.1. Thanks guys. my 5355 cpu chips come next week so cant wait for those to be installed.

Excellent work guys.

medjohnson77

« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »

Hey guys,

I am at a real stand still here!!! I Got a very nice deal on a Mac Pro 1.1 with xeon dual core 5160's and a 30" apple display for $350 bucks about two weeks ago.  I have Upgraded the graphics card to a apple 5770 1gb, thought about using the flash method on a 6870 but decided not to.  I found a pair of engineering sample xeons that are 5340's and matched pair.  These are 2.4 ghz with a 1066 bus, and I installed them on the Mac pro 1.1 with the efi firm ware version that won't allow this efi update to work!  I also did the taping of the 6th pin to get them up to the 1333mhz bus and 3.0ghz overclock.  Temps were all good after the upgrade, everything went smooth, or so I thought.  It seemed stable other then the unknow processor issue, and I ran geekbench to see what the increase was in score over the dual xeon's and went from mid 5000's to over 10,000. I then went to test cinema bench, and it started to run, but then locked up, and I got a kernal panic, and would no longer boot into 10.7.2 or .3 it just kernal panics everytime while booting with the apple screen. 

I would really!!!! like to get the 2007 efi upgrade on this mac...... any news on how to get the efi updated?  If I download the Efi updates from apple for the mac pro 1.1, it will not let me install, saying it is not needed on my mac.  I am stuck on the Efi boot version ending 000 and will not let me update to 005 or 008, which I am assuming it would then let me use this update netkas. has got to work to update to a 2.1 mac pro and better Intel code support for quads.

Any help getting this upgraded and I would be so greatfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I have since took the tape off of the six pins, and everything seems to work so far in Lion 10.7.3.  I got the quad xeon engineering samples off ebay for only $120 bucks, and then upgraded the ram from 3 gb to 16gb.  I am hoping for a easy fix to this or a fix even if it isn't easy! 

Thanks again for anyone's help
medjohnson77

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »

I have even thought about using Linux ubuntu install disc to erase the EFI partion and "brick the EFI" in hopes I can use a restore disc from apple to get the updated EFI or a version of it to install using the EFI restore disc's download apple has on their site. Any thoughts if this work work, or brick the mother board by doing this? 
hyram
Not Newbie

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »

Shouldn't cause any problem, but then won't do you any good either. Apple does't make much use of the EFI partition.
medjohnson77

« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »

I have tried to brick the EFI by installing Ubuntu..... on one attempt grub over wrote my boot partition and I used apple efi firmware disc to fix it.  It worked but kept my system efi version to the same as it was, the 005D B00 and will not take the efi firmware upgrade to 2007 mod. I have tried to go into his install files, changed and added my full code to the product information areas and I get a 5570 error when I try to install!  I really want to get my mac pro up to 2.1..... anyone have a way to do this???

hyram
Not Newbie

« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2012, 03:34:54 PM »

It might have something to do with the date stamp. Look at the following IBIOS strings for the different firmware versions. The date/time the firmware was built is the last part in year, month, day, hours, minutes. By this the 5D firmware was released after the 2,1 firmware. So just maybe if you were to modify the date of the 2,1 firmware so that the date/time is after the 5D firmware it might take.

MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707021221  (2007 Jul 02 12:21)

MP11.88Z.005D.B00.0709141354  (2007 Aug 14 13:54)

MP21.88Z.007F.B06.0707021348  (2007 Jul 02 13:48)

This string is located in 2 places in the firmware, Once towards the beginning and and once towards the end. You'll have to search for it. Also, I remember reading somewhere where the CRC for the file has to be changed for the updater to not choke on it.

Disclaimer: Following the above may brick your mac. Please think it over three times before you choose to accept this risk.
ezmac
Not Newbie

« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2012, 12:26:48 AM »

Where I can find "cheap" quad core xeon ? my 2 mac-pro 2007 2 x cores can't run Mountain LiON   Cry
I can't sell those because I need to support some users that can't run LION, too much money to spend !!!
zadigre

« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2012, 02:25:50 AM »

Where I can find "cheap" quad core xeon ? my 2 mac-pro 2007 2 x cores can't run Mountain LiON   Cry
I can't sell those because I need to support some users that can't run LION, too much money to spend !!!

don't wast your money on Quad-Core CPU if the main reason to upgrade is to be able to run Mountain Lion...
the problem with Mountain Lion, is you need a 64bit EFI to boot directly to a 64bit kernel... the motherboard in your Mac Pro has a 32bit EFI, so it will default to a 32bit kernel (no supported in the developer preview of Mountain Lion even if it's still present... might completely disappear in the final release).

MacPro1,1 and MacPro2,1 (2006/2007) are both running with the same motherboard... and there is no way to upgrade the EFI to 64bit.

there might be a way in the future to run a special boot loader... and this boot loader might be able to start a 64bit kernel directly... this method won't be supported by Apple...
hhaggis

« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2012, 09:45:14 PM »

Hi everyone, first post i'm making.. for those of you that have a mac pro 1.1 like myself and want to install mountain lion 10.8 developer preview 1 ( unless apple change things on the GM release later this year, then go here... http://www.j4mie.co.uk/blog/2012/02/18/how-to-install-mountain-lion-on-macpro11/  I have done it and works like a dream... only thing i did slightly different was to partition my hard drive and restore the modified lion image to the partition... as very quick booting...hope this helps some people
armdn

« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2012, 02:30:54 AM »

don't wast your money on Quad-Core CPU if the main reason to upgrade is to be able to run Mountain Lion...
the problem with Mountain Lion, is you need a 64bit EFI to boot directly to a 64bit kernel... the motherboard in your Mac Pro has a 32bit EFI, so it will default to a 32bit kernel (no supported in the developer preview of Mountain Lion even if it's still present... might completely disappear in the final release).

MacPro1,1 and MacPro2,1 (2006/2007) are both running with the same motherboard... and there is no way to upgrade the EFI to 64bit.

there might be a way in the future to run a special boot loader... and this boot loader might be able to start a 64bit kernel directly... this method won't be supported by Apple...

Mountain Lion works with Mac Pro 1,1/2,1.

You are peoples don't like think about "How to make", just believing in what Apple says... No need to have an EFI64. 10.8 has a two simple things to prevent from booting on EFI32 macs. In OSINstall.mpkg - Distribution, and PlatformSupport.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices/. Just adding BoardID of EFI32 mac and 10.8 works and boot.
embrionic

« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »

hi new to forum thank you for all the help and info here on this topic.  I have read the whole thread and have a question not clearly answered? Is it really required to have an internet connection to update with the Firmware tool from 1.1 to 2.1 for my x5365 upgraded Mac Pro? I hope not as this machine is located in video lab that has no internet access.

thank you.

EDIT:  After actually trying to run the package last night it is clear yes, the update tool requires a connection. 

Is there any way to get a self-contaiined package to perform this update?  I will have to pull the computer from the lab altogether and bring to my house to get it on line.  tnx.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:43:59 PM by embrionic » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: