netkas.org forum
October 17, 2017, 04:13:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool Released  (Read 506727 times)
roto31

« Reply #480 on: July 02, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »

So I have been having issues in trying to get my 1,1 updated to the 2,1 firmware. I currently have MP11.88Z.005C. B08 on mine, which I thought was the "easy and straight forward" version to upgrade. I ran the tool on it's own from Lion, rebooted, held the button till the flashing power light, it got the upgrade tone, but no progress bar and then instantly restarts. after restarting I checked the Profiler and it is still showing MP11.88Z.005C. B08 as the firmware. I have also done as others have done and held the power button all the way through the light and the tone and I have the same thing happen - instant reboot and reboots to show the original firmware. I have also mounted and copied the 2,1 firmware package to my desktop to see if the installer will pull it from there in the same way the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware updater works (which I have done successfully). I unplugged everything but the drive Lion is booting off of, have the original nVidia 7300GT installed and I have the same results even after reinstalling Lion with a brand new clean install.

Am I doing anything wrong or missing something in the process??  Huh Huh Huh

Guidance and suggestions would be appreciated. Especially since the firmware upgrade on my 4,1 went so smoothly.

Thank you,
Roto31

*UPDATE
I was able to successfully get it to flash correctly. I did a fresh install of Lion then booted into Safe mode. Ran the tool, did a shut down and held the power button till the power light flashed and went through the process. I knew I had a successful flash when the DVD drive ejected.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:00:23 AM by roto31 » Logged
nchoe123

« Reply #481 on: July 06, 2016, 04:09:24 AM »

*UPDATE
I was able to successfully get it to flash correctly. I did a fresh install of Lion then booted into Safe mode. Ran the tool, did a shut down and held the power button till the power light flashed and went through the process. I knew I had a successful flash when the DVD drive ejected.

Hmm. I haas you, and that version. But the Safe mode bit didn't do the trick for me. However it's not a fresh install or anything. I'd prefer not to have to roll back that far; also I'm debating whether or not to get the 5365 anyhow. If the only problem is that it shows up as "unknown processor"... well, I could be ok with that. I got the mac pro for free, so I'm trying to make sure it doesn't turn into a money pit.
mysticalos

« Reply #482 on: July 06, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »

Well the larger issue isn't whether it recognizes a new processor so much as making sierra less of a hassle to install later on since it blocks out 3,1 and 4,1 mac pros. So flashing to a 5,1 is a sure way to save the hardware from apples alienation for another generation of the OS
nchoe123

« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2016, 04:14:25 AM »

Did I really write "haas you"? weird.

I don't even have a 3,1 or 4,1; this thread is about the 1,1->2,1 isn't it?

So I don't know why mine won't take the firmware update. Maybe I'll pull out my other drive(s) before doing it, maybe try Safe Mode Boot again.

I don't plan on doing Sierra on this machine-- I have other machines it'll work on. But quite a few apps that I like on my existing macs require os > 10.7, so I'd like to run 10.9 or 10.11 even perhaps. Then my workflow between my various machines would be similar.

Note also that I'm not doing serious moneymaking work on this box; I'm not a video editor nor a photographer or music producer.

nchoe123

« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »

cross-posted from a similar thread on ArsTechnica, which also points to this thread, confusingly enough. I thought it was significant enough to make a note of and share my experiences here.

HEYYY! i got it to work

maybe this is just voodoo, but I:

ran the fw updater.

copied the files from the ramdisk into  ~/Downloads (I wanted to look at them afterwards) == I doubt this had anything to do with the success but just wanted to mention it

opened up Startup Disk to see what it was set to. (it was my SSD)

thought, hmm, maybe that unset the ramdisk from being the boot disk

reran fw updater

shut down

held the button down... past the crazy blinking... until I heard the error-sounding tone... held it down another second, and somewhere in there heard the regular startup chime... let go

then the startup screen had a little grey progress bar ; the dvd drive ejected and then sucked back in again.

and then it had worked!

jbarley

« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2016, 06:47:20 AM »

Just now joined up to thank whoever for this "Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool",
download it and ran it on my "MacPro1,1 Dual-Core 3.0Ghz Intel Xeon and it worked straight away.
Now reporting MacPro 2,1 and Boot ROM Version:   MP21.007F.B06.
Thanks again... Smiley

edit: don't really know why I did this update, just to see if it would work I guess,  Grin
ptazta

« Reply #486 on: October 26, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »

Hi, a few years ago I updated the firmware correctly, now, I'm going to re-install the mountain lion osx from cero.
My problem is that appear s prohibited symbol on screen and I cant nothing. If i reboot and press the alt button for select my usb installer with mountain lion and click enter for go to install the system, appear the prohibited symbol.

The question is...... how affect the update firmware 2006 to 2007, If I updated the firmware is neccesary downgrade to 2006 mac pro for re-install the osx?

Thanks.
Sorry for my english!
owbp

« Reply #487 on: October 27, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »

@ptazta,
Problem isn't in firmware, Mountain Lion is is first OS X that didn't support MP1,1/2,1.
You'll have to use boot.efi that Tiamo made for Mavericks (works with ML too).

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-2-1-and-os-x-mavericks.1598176/page-2#post-18411621
mostwanted34

« Reply #488 on: November 04, 2016, 07:13:32 PM »

Hey, I am having issue running the utility. im getting this error log when I try and run it. I am running OSX 10.5.8. Id like to get this to be a couple versions higher once I can get it to 2,1 and new graphics and cpu's.

Process:         Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool [439]
Path:            /Users/mostwanted12354/Desktop/Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Mac Pro 2006-2007 Firmware Tool
Identifier:      com.apple.ASApplication
Version:         Huh (Huh)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [101]

Interval Since Last Report:          2401 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           3
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   3

Date/Time:       2016-11-04 02:06:50.419 -0400
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version:  6
Anonymous UUID:  1437C95D-E238-41AB-A8A7-DE78799084DB

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  unknown required load command 0x80000022
Madao

« Reply #489 on: November 13, 2016, 11:45:23 PM »

Just wanted to thanks macefirom, Mr.Cobalt and grammataki for the awesome effort put into this thread , i have the B00 firmware problem, just kept reading and now problem is solved, I think the "modified" version of the firmware update for B00 firmw users should be sticked to the first post so new ppl looking for 2.1 with problems can easily solve it.

Writed from my Mac pro 2.1 /w 5355 Xeons running OS X El Capitan.
sycho56

« Reply #490 on: December 06, 2016, 07:22:01 AM »

Hi, I recently bought two x5355's and 16gb of ram for my Mac Pro 1,1. I installed both the upgrades and proceeded to use the Firmware Tool provided here to make it more compatible. I had not had any problems with it but I heard of instability issues with the system with out it. I went and tried to upgrade it to the 2,1 with it and it went through the process okay the first time but it did not update it seemed so I went and tried again. Upon the second attempt my power went out!!! After the power was restored I went to power on my Mac and hoped it had not broken and my worries seem to have been true. Upon booting the system I now get TWO mac boot up "bong" noises and no video output after the fan on my 8800 quiets down, where it usually starts outputting. It appears to operate fine but it has no video output now, I know it works because after about the time I had it set to go to sleep it goes to sleep. I don't know what to do and I have high hopes that someone here will know what to do, I don't have the money to buy a new Mac.... Please someone help me if you can!

Thank you in advance to anyone who attempts to help me...

Side notes, I am running El Capitan on this system, and because the 8800GT is not "compatible" with mac correctly it does not show the apple logo upon booting. It never has with that card. I tried putting the original 7300GT in the system but that does not work either. I don't know what is wrong.
alienkidmj12

« Reply #491 on: December 23, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »

sorry for my ignorance but i have a mac pro 1,1 3 ghz with 64 gb ram, what will i gain by upgrading the firmware to 2,1 ?

currently have firmware MP11.005C.B08
CapnDavey

« Reply #492 on: December 24, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »

nothing unless you upgrade to clovertown CPU's
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]
  Print  

Jump to: