netkas.org forum
August 18, 2018, 04:07:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NVME boot on 4,1 5,1 Mac Pro ???  (Read 605 times)
jabbawok

« on: July 30, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »

I've come across a few mentions of modifying the EFI/bootrom on the 4,1 & 5,1 to include NVME driver but can't seem to find exact details on how its done.
Could someone point me in the right direction as I'd like to upgrade the AHCI PCI-E ssd I use for a bigger one and they're really hard to find and costly now, where as NVME ones are plentiful.

Many thanks..

MacPro 1,1 updated to 2,1 - Two 2.33 quad core E5345 Xeons - apple HD5770 - 6GB ram - 256GB SSD
Spacedust

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »

Please note if Apple will be updating firmware on each macOS release it will be a neverending story with these NVME hacks.

Also I think it won't boot Windows via BootCamp at least Windows 7.
jabbawok

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »

Please note if Apple will be updating firmware on each macOS release it will be a neverending story with these NVME hacks.

Also I think it won't boot Windows via BootCamp at least Windows 7.

I anticipated that, I thought I'd have to re patch for Mojave and possibly point-releases. I have no desire to run windows, directly. I Use VMware a lot but never bootcamp.

I have an old junker PC I use for flashing.

I'd like to stretch as much out of this 4,1 as I can and if the 7,1 proves as limited as the 6,1 I'll go hackintosh.

MacPro 1,1 updated to 2,1 - Two 2.33 quad core E5345 Xeons - apple HD5770 - 6GB ram - 256GB SSD
highvoltage12v
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »

As far as EFI updates go for the Mac Pro, They are only done via OS installs and you must put the computer in EFI update mode (press and hold the power button till the LED flashes) for them to initiate. It's not like the newer Macs where EFI updates happen in OS updates. I have done the NVMe patch to Firmware 085,087, and 089 without issue using this guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WNkM9LuGPq1sArO9EedWBHYq14NU7m-mDBLAWWJipyM/edit?usp=sharing
jabbawok

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »

As far as EFI updates go for the Mac Pro, They are only done via OS installs and you must put the computer in EFI update mode (press and hold the power button till the LED flashes) for them to initiate. It's not like the newer Macs where EFI updates happen in OS updates. I have done the NVMe patch to Firmware 085,087, and 089 without issue using this guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WNkM9LuGPq1sArO9EedWBHYq14NU7m-mDBLAWWJipyM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks.
I was after a Hack where some clever person(not Apple) has (from what I understand) forked out a way to put the NVMe Driver into the firmware for the Mac Pro 3,1 to 5,1 I think. This is a hack not an official apple thing,
Rominator refers to it on another post and DosDude1 may have something to do with it.

B.

highvoltage12v
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:51:32 PM »

The thread that the guide stems from is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp51-0084-b00-rom-dump-request.2119496/page-14
Dosdude1 and other forum members are the (clever) creators behind this patch. The guide is useful because the fourm is messy and not labeled correctly. The files themselves come directly from dosdude1's webserver.
jabbawok

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »

Thanks!

Rominator

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »

The Boot EFI hacks are fun but beware that Windows doesn't like them, AT ALL.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
jabbawok

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »

Thanks. I saw you discussing that in another thread.. I have never had cause to use bootcamp. I only use Windows (reluctantly) in VMware and I have an old PC that use for flashing. AHCI SSDs are so hard to get at a decent price so getting NVME boot would be very handy!

Incidentally, I just installed the Mojave public beta on one of my 4,1 -> 5,1 machines and it didn't ask to upgrade the EFI, It did when I installed High Sierra (with a 10.13.6 USB install drive). its on 0089.B00 currently. I thought there was an update with Mojave.

Do you think that one was just Spectre/Meltdown fix and APFS related and they won't bother any more, or am I (as previous poster suggested) going to have to be prepared to patch again after Mojave.
I realize I'm asking you to speculate there, feel free to decline.

Many thanks..
Ben.

Spacedust

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »

That's why I don't want to use anything like this. One software update and you will have to reimage whole Windows drive. So far my Windows 7 is rock stable on PCIe SSD (hasn't been reinstalled since 2011) and got all updates.
Ludacrisvp
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 10:10:34 PM »

I flashed modded bootROM on MP3,1 adding the NVME driver.
I was still able to boot windows 7 like I always have, maybe it doesn't affect Win7 or maybe not 3,1 but what is it that windows does / complains about?
Spacedust

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »

I flashed modded bootROM on MP3,1 adding the NVME driver.
I was still able to boot windows 7 like I always have, maybe it doesn't affect Win7 or maybe not 3,1 but what is it that windows does / complains about?

In normal mode or EFI?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: