netkas.org forum
August 14, 2020, 08:33:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: 6870 efi rom test  (Read 556896 times)
Rominator

« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »

You guys are all overthinking this ROM patch stuff. This is not brain surgery or even as difficult as remembering your Netflix ID and password number.

I have no doubt that Cindori will put together a total package that does this as this is one of the simplest ROM patches EVER. Open both your ROm and Netkas EFI in separate Hexedit windows to get started.

Running terminal scripts scares some folks, but you can actually sew the ROM together manually quite easily.

1. Look at your ROM in a Hexeditor. Overall length should be 131072. It will start with "55AA". The very next 2 digits are the length of the ROM in Hex. If this number is "7D" you need to...
2. Use a calculator that can convert hex to dec and back. Enter "7D" and be amazed to discover that it equals 125. This tells you how many 512 byte blocks there are. So guess what you multiply 125 by? Thats right , 512 !!!
3. This gives you 64000. So, copy Netkas EFI ROM into your PC BIOS for 6870 starting at 64000. (If Copy & Paste is a tough concept, you really should wait for Cindori.)
4. Now, Save this new efi'd ROM as m6870.rom or anything you like as long as it is 8 characters or less.
5. Run the fixrom script on it.
6. Flash and enjoy

So seriously stop obsessing over putting rom together. If you can't follow the terminal commands, then doing this via hexeditor is just like copy and pasting a paragraph into  a text document. Like when Aunt Sally sends you an email with a funny story about her puppy and then you SELECT it and COPY it and then PASTE it into an email to your brother. Same exact process. No thinking necessary, that's why we are using computers in first place.

Far too many people "psych" themselves into believing that this is too difficult. It isn't, and most anyone can do it.

Before you flash, verify that ROM length has stayed at 131072.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:08:21 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Cindori

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »

I have no doubt that Cindori will put together a total package that does this as this is one of the simplest ROM patches EVER.

heh yeah it looks identical to 4870 method, will probably include 5870 / 6870 rom generator in next zeus

http://groths.org
Tools and news about Mac graphics and Hackintosh
Rominator

« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »

I have no doubt that Cindori will put together a total package that does this as this is one of the simplest ROM patches EVER.

heh yeah it looks identical to 4870 method, will probably include 5870 / 6870 rom generator in next zeus

It is in fact infinitely simpler than 4870. With 4870 It went PC BIOS- Apple EFI - MCUC table for GDDR5.
We started running into trouble where the hole in middle of ROM didn't have enough space for EFI so we would have to move MCUC and then adjust the lookup address for it in BIOS. Since there is NO MCUC table, this is just joining two parts. Never will there be a table that gets overwritten or an address to fix.

Literally, all we have here is PC BIOS - EFI BIOS. There is no third piece to worry about. Just 2 pieces. Child's play in comparison.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:48:30 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Weust
Not Newbie

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »

Making it so simple makes one wonder why AMD doesn't just release the 6870 for Mac card itself...
Rominator

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2011, 10:50:36 PM »

I think we all know that next "official" Mac ATI card will have at least 1 TB port.

Depending on how this is implemented, it may make flashing a royal PITA. These iMac ROms may be our salvation for awhile.

Think of all those 5770s they have sold and continue to sell for $250 while PC ones are now $100. Why give up such a market?

Weust
Not Newbie

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2011, 10:54:46 PM »

True, it's all about the money with Apple.
I don't mind buying a Mac Pro, but I try to refuse to pay too much for not enough.

This is the third PC card I flash, and it's good enough for me :-)
Cindori

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »

it's logic that ati doesnt release, they have agreements with apple + earn money on current 5000 gen

but third partys shouldnt have a problem pulling a 285gtx stunt

http://groths.org
Tools and news about Mac graphics and Hackintosh
Weust
Not Newbie

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »

I just flashed my Sapphire with the modified ROM, and all is fine :-)
Got the EFI boot screen, and a simple Option hold test shows the disks.

Netkas can add my earlier attached Sapphire ROM file to the list if he likes.
May save some hassle for people as I had to use the manual steps.
Rominator

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »

In any case, we should put theoretical banter in another thread.

I am curious if anyone has found different monitor behavior than what I did.

Namely:

1. Boot screen on lower DVI only. (Anyone finding different..please post card and info)
2. VGA functions from DVI port via passive adapter
3. DVI functions from HDMI, allows 4th display from HDMI
4. MDP ports both work, can run Apple MDP displays
5. Can run 4 separate displays by using 2 @ MDP, 1 @ HDMI, and 1 @ DVI
6. Boot display function via DVI killed if any other displays connected at boot.
7. Upper DVI port dead to world...no connection at all either via DVI or VGA.

So, ideally we start collating info from multiple people and see if all cards behave same or if (like XFX 4870) there are unique cards that behave better or worse than most once flashed.

Weust
Not Newbie

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2011, 11:13:04 PM »

Ain't got the time for that right now, but will test ASAP. Like next monday.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »

TB gonna be a real bitch

4 ways they can do it.

1) least possible. A special extension to pcie port, to pass-through TB signal onto GFX cards. you can forget about pc's videocards in macpro then. Costly for Apple.
2) less possible. Onboard TB chip on card, but it will share pci-e bandwidth with videocard and it's not good. flashing can be easy cuz TB is separate chip after all.
3) most possible. A separate connector on both mainboard and videocard to pass-through TB signal without eating PCI-e bandwidth. Flashing shouldn't be hard.
4) best for us. TB port is only on mainboard, served by iGPU. Maybe some technology like Lucid Virtu to pass video output from pcie videocard to TB port. No custom designed cards needed.

current mac with TB and discrete videocard uses some kind of 4-th approach, as in mobile world, videocard gives signal via MXM slot back to mainboard.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2011, 11:22:24 PM »

1. Boot screen on lower DVI only. (Anyone finding different..please post card and info)
R0M guy few pages ago claimed to have boot screen on hdmi connected tv.
7. Upper DVI port dead to world...no connection at all either via DVI or VGA.
if you look at card's connectors - vga works only on one of dvi, by nature, so only DVI signal missing from upper dvi port.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:24:13 PM by netkas » Logged
sdietric

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »

Flashed my HIS IceQ X Turbo card (see here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161369) with the pre-made ROM

HIS_ICEQX_6870.rom

and the 6870 Zeus tool

Have boot screen now, appears to be working, didn't do much diagnostic yet, though. Some software is still recognizing it as Bart Prototype (e.g. Cinebench), but it is not listed under graphics/displays as a 6870 card.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2011, 11:48:29 PM »

So, nobody wanna post sshot of profiler with super-puper rom revision I made ?  Huh
Weust
Not Newbie

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2011, 11:50:36 PM »

Netkas, was just about to post a screenshot.
Love the ROM Revision name :-)

Great work!

* Screen Shot 2011-08-21 at 12.49.47 AM.png (104.2 KB, 865x634 - viewed 1407 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: