netkas.org forum
September 24, 2020, 04:25:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 402239 times)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #255 on: December 24, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »

I think it would be a quite obvious approach to give away what you don't use yourself and keep what you're making money with.
Personally I think it's a little sad to figure something out (with a lot of effort!) without using it afterwards (either free or commercial).

But in the end it's obviously everyones personal decision.  Smiley
Rominator

« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2015, 06:48:33 AM »

I think it would be a quite obvious approach to give away what you don't use yourself and keep what you're making money with.
Personally I think it's a little sad to figure something out (with a lot of effort!) without using it afterwards (either free or commercial).

But in the end it's obviously everyones personal decision.  Smiley

OK, I've gotten really sick of seeing stuff I found associated with a name not mine.

Would anyone else like to claim finding this resistor on  R9 290X (Hawaii)?

I will dig up a screenshot or two and post here of them running at 5.0

IN a week or so I'll post up a shot or two of the resistors, at least on the card I have. Trust me, different on every different design.

Will probably put them up on MVC.com
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:53:47 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2015, 06:15:51 PM »

Would anyone else like to claim finding this resistor on  R9 290X (Hawaii)?

The TDP is 290W, so external power supply is the only option Wink

R9 390 isn't better in this field - TDP 275W.

AMD seems to have it's own "Fermi" case now Wink

SMIKX

« Reply #258 on: December 29, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »

On a lighter note . . . .
I am an Aussie living in Japan. Yesterday I bought an early 2009 MB535J/A Mac Pro Dual Quad core 2.93GHz with 12 Gig of ECC ram & 2 X 640 Gb hard drives. It will be delivered tomorrow morning and will replace my aging 2007 Dual Quad 3Ghz MP.

Thanks to Fl0r!an I'll be able to replace the installed ATI Radeon HD 4870 ( 512mb ) with my flashed Sapphire HD 5870 1 Gb card.

A late Xmas present.

Happy New Year to all here. Cheesy

Mac Pro 2009 4,1>5,1 Dual Quad Core 2.93ghz 32gb ECC RAM. Sapphire Dual-X 7970 3 gb flashed. Samsung 970 EVO M.2 High Sierra 10.13.6
960 EVO Mojave 10.14.4 bootrom 141.0.0.0.0
SMIKX

« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »

I side with Rominator in that it took me ages to muster up the courage to go through sewing efi & Fl0r!an's roms together.

Doing it yourself, engaging in the 'learning process' can't be a negative thing.

Fl0r!an insisted that it was not hard, encouraged me to try and in fact it wasn't and by doing it by myself instead of waiting for a rom to appear here I have enriched my Mac hacking abilities and understanding of 'How Mac things work '.

I now have EFI roms for my HD  5770's and HD 5870's ( 2 each ). Now that I know how easy the sewing process actually is I will not post them here as the EFI parts are already here in these pages.

Happy, safe and prosperous New Year too all.

Kyoto, JAPAN.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:43:05 AM by SMIKX » Logged

Mac Pro 2009 4,1>5,1 Dual Quad Core 2.93ghz 32gb ECC RAM. Sapphire Dual-X 7970 3 gb flashed. Samsung 970 EVO M.2 High Sierra 10.13.6
960 EVO Mojave 10.14.4 bootrom 141.0.0.0.0
mrhali
Not Newbie

« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm fairly a noob at all this, so sorry in advance.  I had added EFI on my HD 5770 card ages ago and was living without apple boot on DVI (although it does appear on my TV when HDMI is the only thing plugged in).   So, as you can imagine, this thread has given me (and I'm sure tons of others) renewed hope in getting boot logos back.

I tried searching all my drives for a backup of my original rom but I cannot find it.  Probably wiped it from the temp DOS partition when I flashed it way back when.  

So a couple questions:

a) Is it possible to implement the port mapping on the EFI that is already on my card?  So I dump it out, and then hexedit, then reflash somehow?

b) If not, is there any chance to get the port mappings cooked up for my bios?  I *think* the ROM is this, based on the BIOS version and the SSID id (is there a way to know for sure?):  http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/74519/sapphire-hd5770-1024-100407-1.html (bitte bitte!)  

c) Would this affect my DVI and HDMI ports in anyway?  Hopefully they would still work.

d) Also, will the apple boot restore the ability to access Startup Manager?  Currently I can't.

Any help or points in the right direction is GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks for all the hard work Flor!an!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:25:39 PM by mrhali » Logged
Fl0r!an

« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »

a) Yes, no problem. You can just overwrite the old EFI.

c) OS X behavior won't change, all ports will remain functional.

d) Yes, "boot screen" is just the commonly used term for "pre-OS graphics display". This includes the boot selector, EFI shell, single user mode, etc...
baby-rabbit
Not Newbie

« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »

Hi Fl0r!an,

I've got a sapphire R9 270x.

I took the Pitcairn.rom.efi.rom (from http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,10827.msg32515.html#msg32515), extracted and uncompressed the efi portion, and used that and my rom with the scripts as per the "7xxx rom creating test" thread - success, many thanks! 
(Previously with the 7950mac.efi, the DP wouldn't work unless I plugged in HDMI too)

So now I have the "HD 7950" showing in system info, and pci info showing etc.

So am I right in thinking I don't get a bootsceen because I use DP?  (I use because of a 4K screen)

My main question - what are you using to disassemble the efi? I tried my go-to of choice Hopper, but it just shows data.. and the demo version of Ida said it didn't support the 'ebc' processor type and quits.

Fl0r!an

« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:31 AM »

Yeah EBC support seems to be quite rare. The full version of Ida Pro supports it.
That "HD 7950" thingy is a simple search & replace.

Bootscreens on DP won't work due to mismatched sense IDs (or was it hotplug IDs?). I've documented this a few pages back...
If anyone figures out how to change them, it might work. However I wouldn't bet that it'll work on DP 1.2.
Spacedust

« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »

Yeah EBC support seems to be quite rare. The full version of Ida Pro supports it.
That "HD 7950" thingy is a simple search & replace.

Bootscreens on DP won't work due to mismatched sense IDs (or was it hotplug IDs?). I've documented this a few pages back...
If anyone figures out how to change them, it might work. However I wouldn't bet that it'll work on DP 1.2.

I can only confirm that bootscreen via DP to DVI and native DVI works well on R9 270X.

It doesn't work via HDMI, however pure HDMI works in OS X via DVI to HDMI adapter.

Will do more testing when Philips 241P6VPJKEB become available here.
baby-rabbit
Not Newbie

« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2016, 06:21:34 AM »

fyi  - there's a very rudimentary/toy EBC disassembler (near worthless as doesn't show external data/strings, or know about EFI funcs) at:

http://wien.tomnetworks.com/gitweb/?p=dis-ebc.git

mrhali
Not Newbie

« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »

a) Yes, no problem. You can just overwrite the old EFI.

c) OS X behavior won't change, all ports will remain functional.

d) Yes, "boot screen" is just the commonly used term for "pre-OS graphics display". This includes the boot selector, EFI shell, single user mode, etc...

Amazing.  Is there any chance you could explain exactly how I would patch my EFI?  I'm happy to try but I just need to understand what I'm doing. 
Fl0r!an

« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2016, 06:58:36 PM »

Just overwrite the EFI in your ROM with my EFI from this thread (page 2 or 3). Can be done in a simple Hex editor, but you can also follow the "make your own HD 5770 ROM" tutorial. Both EFIs have equal size, so you'll just overwrite the old one.
mrhali
Not Newbie

« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »

Thanks!  Ok, I tried that.  But I couldn't find any efi's on page 2/3 that you posted for an HD 5770.  The only one I found was on Page 5 that you posted for rthpjm.  So, I tried that one, spliced it up using a hexeditor and flashed it. 

Now I still get nothing on either DVI ports BUT I'm getting the boot on the HDMI port now, while I also have something plugged into either DVI ports.  So it's working a bit better than before!  Before, I could only get the logo if I had nothing on the DVIs and only the HDMI plugged in.

Is there another EFI for the 5770 that I can try?  Sorry to bug you!

Vielen dank!!

mrhali
Not Newbie

« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »

Actually, I didn't fully test it.  So, it seems when I remove the HDMI connection and only boot up with DVI1, I get the boot logo there!  But, if I boot with both HDMI and DVI1, then the boot logo appears on the HDMI.  Nothing ever appears on DVI2 which is what you have said all along.  This is definitely a great improvement!  Thanks so much!!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: