netkas.org forum
September 24, 2020, 03:25:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 402215 times)
mgaa80
Not Newbie

« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

Hi Florian,

yes - PRAM and SMC I did - no success.

Everything I tried now:
- PRAM reset (hold P+R+ALT+Win (I have PC keyboard) until chime comes up 2nd time on boot up)
- SMC reset (disconnect power cable for 1 minute, plug power back in and wait 10 seconds until power on)
- Booting with DP monitor cable connected - but DP monitor power off (2 times in a row)
- Changing default monitor in OSX to one of the DVIs (moving the upper task bar to one of the DVIs)

so far nothing works - only boot up MAC with DP monitor cable physically disconnected for one time -> after that boot screen comes on one DVI for one startup.

BR,
Matthias
mgaa80
Not Newbie

« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »

ok, I think I'm pretty sure now.

This should be the situation: The 4,1 (think 5,1 is the same) MAC EFI remembers which monitor and output is available for displaying the boot screen once it booted. In my case (and I guess in any other case) I will select the monitor with the highest resolution available as default. The problem is: This monitor in my case can't display the boot screen - so I do not see the boot screen on the 2nd boot (or beyond).

The MAC 3,1 EFI however doesn't have this functionality - so that it will always show the boot screen on a fixed(!) output (regardless on the resolution of the monitors attached).

This corresponds also to the situation if I use my flashed GTX 680 with my 3 screen setup - boot screen will automatically appear on my 1440p monitor - regardless what I do in MAC OSX or wherever.

BR,
Matthias
Fl0r!an

« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »

Really strange stuff  Huh

I was under the impression that the priority of output ports was hardcoded in the GPUs EFI; but that wouldn't explain the difference between 3,1 and 4,1  Huh So maybe you're right... I've PM'ed you a new file for testing (don't want to but more half-functional stuff into this thread). Good luck!  Smiley
Fl0r!an

« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »

Hehe, I've just discovered completely opposing behavior on my HD 7870 in my MP3,1: This card should behave like the 5870, showing bootscreens on DVI and DP with passive adapters.

So I put it in my MacPro connecting a display with DVI and another one with active DP. On the first cold boot no boot screen appeared, and all following boots showed it on the DVI port  Huh
mgaa80
Not Newbie

« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »

OK guys - news from the 'testmaster'  Grin

@Florian: As I already wrote to you: Your new EFI will behave on MAC 4,1 like before (only boot screen on DVI if no DP was connected before) BUT it will disable DP completely on MAC PRO 3,1 (monitor not detected from MAC/OSX at all). PRAM reset does not change the situation whatsoever.

I have bought a Sapphire Vapor-X now to make better testing - what I recognised was that -despite the fact that the port layout on the back of my 2 5870 cards were completely identical - the Vapour-X shows boot screen on my right DVI monitor and the XFX shows boot screen on my left DVI monitor (this may be due to the fact that the XFX has the 'old' EFI from Florian and the Sapphire has the 'new' EFI from Florian) - but I thought I mention it...

So far I do not really have an idea how to proceed. Maybe we need to find out how the logic is reg. which monitor or VGA port will be used to display boot screen. Maybe it depends on the VGA cards internal priority one port - or its the screen resolution - or whatever.

I have ordered a DP to DVI cable now - and will do some more tests with it.

Anybody some other ideas so far?

BR,
Matthias
Fl0r!an

« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2015, 08:17:11 AM »

Yep I saw your PM...  Undecided

I guess the problem is, that the sense id (which I can't change as of today) is correct, so the GPU is somehow seeing the connected display which disables DVI output.
From my current knowledge I can't change this behavior...
Rominator

« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2015, 06:03:03 AM »

With XFX 5870, best results will come from later cards.

Center fan with version number of 1.3 or 1.5 or 1.6

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
mgaa80
Not Newbie

« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »

Hi Guys,

just some news from me.

@Rominator - i have a XFX Version 1.4...guess it had a center fan - the time I bought it it had an aftermarket cooler on. But I'm pretty sure its the one with center fan.

I did some test with Florian's OLD ROMs (not the new one he sent me).
I did some test on a MAC PRO 2,1 (flashed 1,1) and thinks work perfectly fine there (same as 3,1) - still no luck on my 4,1 (flashed to 5,1).

I bought a DP to Dual-Link DVI cable. Tested following setup on my 4,1: 2xFullHD monitors on the DVI ports (DVI->DVI) and one FullHD monitor on DP port (DP->DVI via dual link adapter). The monitor connected via DP stays completely dead.

So far I draw the following conclusion:

MAC PRO 1,1/2,1/3,1:
Perfect support of 3 monitors in parallel (but tested only 2xDVI and DP connection - how HDMI would behave currently unknown to me) - boot screen on one DVI

MAC PRO 4,1(and I guess 5,1 also):
Perfect support of 2 monitors connected via 2xDVI -> boot screen on one DVI

No boot screen support if one monitor is connected via DP. (But: Disconnecting DP monitor on boot and reconnecting it in next boot will bring up boot screen one time)

@Florian: Do you have any idea left? So far I would say support of MAC PRO 4,1/5,1 is limited to 2 screens (maybe 3 if you use 2xDVI and 1x HDMI).

Does anybody have the ability to verify my tests? Maybe on a 4,1 or a 5,1 that isn't flashed? Maybe the flashing from 4,1 to 5,1 has an effect on the behavior...

BR,
Matthias
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:42:08 PM by mgaa80 » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2015, 02:45:04 AM »

Testing on DP via a DVI adapter tells nothing about DP. They are 2 completely separate signal present in same cable.

The DP to Dual Link adapter with USB, is that what you have?

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fl0r!an

« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »

Active DP -> DVI should behave similar to native DP devices, especially DualLink-DVI since the TMDS signal inside DisplayPort is limited to SingleLink.

I'm pretty sure using a passive DP adapter in combination with my old ROM (first page of this thread) should give a boot screen. Never verified that because I don't have any full size passive DP adapters.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »

Hi Florian, Rominator and all you guys. First let me thank you for your awesome work, you did wonders for the Mac community.

I wouldn't be able to program a line even to save my life: I'm just an old and experienced Mac user (since 1987), but I'm still willing to learn...

Following Jeanlain's guide (thanks to him as well) I've been able to flash an ATI 5770 (2 DVI ports) that I bought to replace my dying GeForce8800 GT, but of course I couldn't get the boot screen. Then I read this post, and after some hard time trying to understand the basics (I don't want to be spoon-fed, as Rominator wrote somewhere else...) I've been able to flash my card with the Florian modded EFI. Now it's quite perfect, with boot screen on the first DVI port, and I'm really happy... Thanks a lot!

After the good news, there come the bad ones... I tried to do the same with another card, an Asus 5770 (1 DVI, 1 VGA and 1 HDMI) that I was planning to give to a friend for his Mac Pro 1,1 (same as mine), but I couldn't go past the first step: after pasting in Terminal's bash window the 5770 script, I get this line: "dd: bs must be between 1 and 9223372036854775807". Searching through the forum I found some answers... but I already checked that I put the files in my home directory, the ROM has 2 MCUC instances, and there are no permission issues (as far as I know, of course).

Attached here are the ATI card ROMs, original and modded, and the Asus ROM. Thank you so much once again.

* ATI 5770 (2DVI).zip (135.05 KB - downloaded 564 times.)
* ASUS 5770 (1 DVI).zip (46.41 KB - downloaded 512 times.)
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2015, 07:10:18 PM »

I forgot to mention... Mac Pro 1,1 with 12 Gb RAM, Yosemite 10.10.5
Fl0r!an

« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2015, 09:03:01 PM »

The calculated size is negative, try
Code:
size=$((-$blocknum * 512))

Had a short look at your ROM, I think HDMI won't work after flashing. Bootscreen & OS X should work on DVI, maybe also on VGA.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »

Done. Now the script works, but the resulting ROM file has only one MCUC...  Sad
I'll try to make room for it, as explained in the guide.
Thanks a lot, Florian.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2015, 11:45:50 PM »

Hmm. It seems to work, but there's something weird happening.

I flashed the Asus card with the newly obtained ROM (attached here) and I connected a DVI and a VGA monitor. The VGA showed just the boot screen,  then became inactive: the DVI was dark on booting and started to display the desktop after a brief blink of the loading bar.

Then I disconnected the VGA monitor and restarted with the DVI only: same behavior, no boot screen.

I can try to connect my 22" Samsung TV to the HDMI, but I don't have a spare cable at hand. As soon as I find it, I'll try.

EDIT: I found the cable and connected the HDMI TV. As you expected, nothing happened, even after a PRAM reset. For a further check, I switched  the video cards and tested my ATI/Sapphire 5770 with both DVI monitors and the HDMI TV: everything worked. I don't have a MDP device or adapter, I couldn't check that port.

* asusm.rom (128 KB - downloaded 567 times.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:43:16 AM by j-man » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: