netkas.org forum
September 24, 2020, 03:01:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 402203 times)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »

Cool, didn't know that! Is it Hawaii-only or will it also work on Tonga?

I know drivers are still buggy, but sooner or later Apple will use some GCN 1.1 or GCN 1.2 cards in their Macs, then they'll have to fix the bugs.
Will you share the EFI? Would be nice for the people who already have on of these cards, and I might play a bit around with the boot screens.  Smiley
Fl0r!an

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »

Thanks for the test. Did those two ports work before?

No they've never worked but sadly I've sold my second display so I'm unable to test HDMI/DisplayPort at the moment.

I've also made a ROM for HD5850 ASUS DirectCU (really complicated default BIOS) and it boots fine, however no bootscreen via DVI.

This card has one DVI port, one DP and one HDMI.

It probably thinks that this is the lower DVI port which works only with DVI to VGA adapter. Maybe you can flip these ports.

It looks like this:

Attaching default ROM for this card:

Better late than never: From my current knowledge, bootscreen can only be enabled on DisplayPort. The best matching framebuffer supports only DVI (non of the 2 other ports) though, so this card just isn't a good candidate for flashing.
Rominator

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2015, 08:36:25 PM »

Thanks again to Florian for shaking up 5870 flashing.

We could have used you back in the day.

I saw you answering the guy on MR about 1,1 cards and realized that there is some missing info.

One of the reasons I left the 5770/5870 flashing fold long ago is a fundamental problem with the DP port.

The issue manifests itself as the DP port being unable to drive Apple mDP displays. I have a Dell U2410 that has DP so I would test cards with both that and Apple 24" and 27" displays. IN early days of 5870 for Mac flashing there was much excitement. I drove to Sherman Oaks to get one of early PC 5870s. And then I ended up driving to Orange County to get an early DP to MDP adapter.

The gist is, the reference 5870s could never drive the Apple displays. If you dig deep in reviews of early dp to MDP adapters you may find tiny hints of this, it is where I first figured it out. There was some part of DP in early days that wasn't done to spec. So the adapters couldn't run all of the wires to MDP.

The only 5870s I ever found that could drive Apple Displays were XFX brand, after they switched from reference design to the cheaper one with a center fan. And even among these, early models were no good. Needed to be either Ver. 1.3 or 1.5 (I don't recall exactly now). I kept this info very confidential, as I was only one to be able to offer 5870s that could run Apple displays. And, IIRC, even this changed with an OS update. For awhile all DP port function was broken. So I got out of the 5xxx game and never looked back. The 5870 I have today is an unsellable one, has some ripped traces so only runs at 4 lanes or something, but fine for testing display outputs.

To sum up, DP ports on most flashed 5770s and 5870s have issues with some versions of OS X. The vast majority were incapable of running an Apple MDP display, grossly limiting their usefulness. I will do some additional testing with the reference 5870 I have here, but best would be for everyone out in the wild to do some thoughtful testing as well. Know this, not seeing a boot screen or getting output on DP port may or may not be a rom issue. It is possible that the rom is fine and you are actually experiencing the issue I am mentioning. Would be great if everyone playing with a 5770 or 5870 who has any sort of DP or MDP display would report their results. We could have a database of best cards to flash.

Very useful piece of info is that later 5870s (and 5770s too, IIRC) from XFX are more likely to work with Apple displays. Certainly anything with ver 1.6 or later is good, I'm fairly sure.

Here is a chance for the folks selling these cards and benefiting from FLorian's work would help out. Just post what cards work with what displayports and what displays. Please & Thank You.

Also, there is a way to get these cards to PCIE 2.0 on 3,1 and later cMPs. You have to add a 10 Kohm resistor to a specific place on back of card near CF connector. I'll see if I can find # on the 5870 I have here.

SEPARATE INFO ON 7870:

Florian, the EFI 7870 that says "Hamacho" (I'm guessing you changed name to make it not match, fact that it still did tells us something)

The boot screen behavior is same as before. Only way it work is with two same resolution DP displays in ports 1 & 2 (maybe it was 2 & 3), then the boot screen appears on 1st one.

This was something we battled in PPC days with F-Code roms. Card looking for EDID on different port then where it send s signal for that EDID. Possible that there are other 2 port combos with this function, I may test for that sometime if you don't have any other ideas.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:58:10 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2015, 11:50:47 PM »

Also, there is a way to get these cards to PCIE 2.0 on 3,1 and later cMPs. You have to add a 10 Kohm resistor to a specific place on back of card near CF connector. I'll see if I can find # on the 5870 I have here.

On some HD5770's the same resistor has to be placed on the front board near DisplayPort after removing the cooling - name is the same, but it's much harder to find the right one Wink
Fl0r!an

« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »

Small update on 5870 stuff: Today I took the time to double- and tripple-check everything. I'm now 100% sure that I've done everything exactly like I did with the HD 5770 (which has boot screen on DVI1, HDMI and DP). Due to different port mapping on 5870, boot screen should be possible on upper DVI (is working) and DisplayPort. The latter doesn't work, no matter what I do.
I guess this might be due to the "non-standard DP" stuff.

Quite funny: The 5870 card I have for testing is exactly the mentioned XFX with center fan (don't know which revision though).
I guess the DisplayPort might differ slightly from Apples implementation, so the EFI isn't able to drive it properly. I've run out of ideas, so I'll stop with 5870 for now. I guess boot screen on DVI is enough. Smiley
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »

Found this: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-make-link-speed-2-5gt-s-to-5-0gt-s-on-ati-card-and-nvidia-card.1547340/
Fl0r!an

« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

Is the resistor mod for HD5870 the same as HD6870?

Btw, I've noticed yesterday that fixrom.py will crash if one of the checksums equals 0x0. It's easy to fix, however nobody seems to have bothered to do it so far...

You just have to replace this line:
Code:
self.data[-1] = chr(0x100 - sum)
with this:
Code:
self.data[-1] = chr((0x100 - sum)%0x100)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:37:25 PM by Fl0r!an » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2015, 12:32:55 AM »

Small update on 5870 stuff: Today I took the time to double- and tripple-check everything. I'm now 100% sure that I've done everything exactly like I did with the HD 5770 (which has boot screen on DVI1, HDMI and DP). Due to different port mapping on 5870, boot screen should be possible on upper DVI (is working) and DisplayPort. The latter doesn't work, no matter what I do.
I guess this might be due to the "non-standard DP" stuff.

Quite funny: The 5870 card I have for testing is exactly the mentioned XFX with center fan (don't know which revision though).
I guess the DisplayPort might differ slightly from Apples implementation, so the EFI isn't able to drive it properly. I've run out of ideas, so I'll stop with 5870 for now. I guess boot screen on DVI is enough. Smiley

DVI is great accomplishment anyway, we would have killed for it back in the day.

Congrats on that.

The version number was on part number tag on back, would have XFX 5870 and then on same line something like V1.3 or Ver 1.6, something like that

And that only affected Apple Displays or maybe just MDP displays. (and I just realized that I have way to figure out, Dell 5K has both DP and MDP inputs)

I also have some Nvidia GTX260 Pre-Pro cards for Apple. Some had MDP, some DP, and only SOME of them could run Apple Display, wasn't rom issue, some hardware thing. But the ones that couldn't run Apple display could run Dell U2410 via DP.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fl0r!an

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2015, 09:51:42 AM »

Just had another try on using RadeonFramebuffer on a flashed card to make all ports work on non-referencecards w/o matching framebuffer.
I've tried to change the framebuffer in the ROM explicitly to "RadeonFramebuffer" (was much PITA btw to make enough room for this string), but it didn't improve anything. Card will have bootscreen but show up as "HD 7xxx" with some partially-initialized HDMI-audio device (just like my "Hamacho" attempt).
Fl0r!an

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:20 AM »

So here's another small progress: Fixing the port mapping on HD 6870 EFI enables boot screen through passive DP adaptors(tested both DVI and HDMI).
Native DisplayPort and HDMI stay black though, like HD 5870. I'd assume the same applies for my 5870 ROM: Bootscreen will be shown with passive DisplaPort adaptors. I don't have a full-size DP->DVI/HDMI though, so I can't test myself. Can someone of you test it?  Smiley ROM file is the same as last time (3-4 pages back I guess).

Currently my best explaination for this is that the HotPlug-ID matters for HDMI and native DP, but not for DVI, VGA or passive DP. This explains all observations on 5770 (HP ID matches, so all ports work), 5870 (no match, so only DVI) and 6870 (no match, so only DVI). On 7xxx this doesn't apply though, HD 7770 works completely fine although all HP IDs are mismatched. Maybe things are handled somehow dynamically in their, maybe I'm completely wrong, dunno.

Oh, another thing: I've tried sewing together a EBC 6870 ROM with bootscreens, but had no success so far. Blacksheeps EBC ROM based on HD 7950 is a perfect match, but doesn't show any bootscreens. I've also tried HD 5770 and 5870 EFIs, but I couldn't enable any ports with them either (additionally the HD 5870 behaved very strange, attaching something on DisplayPort would either lead to a EFI boot loop (chime, restart, chime, restart,...) or some garbled output.
I guess those EFIs might just no be able to drive the 6870 properly, even if they can init the card for OSX. Might some small issue, but could also be something big. Isn't worththe trouble though.
lumpen

« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »

First of all I want to say thank you to Mr. Fl0r!an for his work!

I'm new to a Mac, and faced with great difficulties when trying to install XFX 5830 to mac1.1. Of course, I tried to establish a reliable Yose OSX with the new AMD video drivers included. At least one of the ports but nothing happened nor Yose neither with the Mavericks nor with Lion.

Mr. Fl0r!an because now I see the apple when booting mac on DVI1. (Hdmi and dvi2 not work, DP-I don't know - i have nothing to check)
But the quality of the graphics that I got was not worth any effort on your part. It's a slideshow! I read a lot of information in a foreign language to me, and could not find solution to the problems with the video.
If anyone encountered such a problem I ask for help in the decision.

Mr. Fl0r!an, thanks again for work and creativity.
I do not lose the hope of a bright future.

P.S. I flashed on the 5870 Efi and mac1.1 to 2.1. Maybe this is problem, but other Efi firmware I have not found.
I put the dump its BIOS XFX 5830 for the development of ideas.
[/pre]

* myrom.rom (128 KB - downloaded 516 times.)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »

The device ID of your HD 5830 is missing in the drivers, so the system will fall back to basic EFI video support after flashing it.
I'm a little surprised that flashing the 5870 EFI works despite device ID mismatch, but that's not your problem.  Smiley

I guess adding your device ID to AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext might already do the trick. Not very elegant though, because the changes are likely to be overwritten with every OS X update and you'll violate the kext signing.
I'm not sure if you could spoof your device ID to match a HD 5850 or HD 5870 (both supported) with a BIOS mod or if that's somehow locked, never tried that.
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2015, 06:33:53 PM »

I guess i tested the latest 6870-efi with mDP->DVI-Adapter (genuine Apple) and it worked. Did you change anything in 6870-efi, i can compare the latest and the stored on videocard.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

Nope it's the version I sent to you some weeks ago. Just realized that those passive adapter stuff won't work with unmodified EFI, that's the only change.  Grin
Would like to see the same test for HD 5780 though.
lumpen

« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2015, 04:02:59 AM »

The device ID of your HD 5830 is missing in the drivers, so the system will fall back to basic EFI video support after flashing it.
I'm a little surprised that flashing the 5870 EFI works despite device ID mismatch, but that's not your problem.  Smiley

I guess adding your device ID to AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext might already do the trick. Not very elegant though, because the changes are likely to be overwritten with every OS X update and you'll violate the kext signing.
I'm not sure if you could spoof your device ID to match a HD 5850 or HD 5870 (both supported) with a BIOS mod or if that's somehow locked, never tried that.

Thanks for answer.
How can i find this kexts?
Kext wizard show me nothing.
Or I must taking it from installer of OSx?

* Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 11.57.00 AM.png (62.46 KB, 738x501 - viewed 1173 times.)

* Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 11.57.26 AM.png (60.65 KB, 745x499 - viewed 1260 times.)

* Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 12.01.54 PM.png (41.13 KB, 455x460 - viewed 1151 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: