netkas.org forum
October 17, 2018, 08:12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 219579 times)
YNWA
Not Newbie

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »

Sounds great, I'll build a compressed 5870 EFI tomorrow when I'm at home.

Could you provide a ROM dump of your Eyefinity Radeon? Would really like to play around with it! Smiley
Are you currently using it in OSX?

Sure, happy to help. Attached is the BIOS. I already tried to load the Zonalis framebuffer but the result was the same when using the standard Vervet.
I once used it to drive multiple ACDs (unflashed) with Mini-DP since the XFX 5770s (this one and the 2x DVI, 1x Mini-DP version – this one works using the Vervet EFI) where the only cards capable of doing so.

* BIOS5770.ROM (128 KB - downloaded 316 times.)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »

Okay, I've attached compressed EFI files (including a note to my dear ebay friends  Wink). They can be used as described in the HD 5xxx/6xxx tutorial thread.

Thanks for the ROM, I'll have a look at it later!
You say that you are using this card with Vervet: How many ports are working this way? I'd expect that max. 2 ports work (in best case). What happens when using it unflashed (=> RadeonFramebuffer)? On recent OSX versions I'd expect that this works better than flashing with Vervet...

* 5870mod.efi.rom (42 KB - downloaded 457 times.)
* 5870mod2.efi.rom (42 KB - downloaded 430 times.)
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »

NO EBAY!!  Grin
YNWA
Not Newbie

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »

Okay, I've attached compressed EFI files (including a note to my dear ebay friends  Wink). They can be used as described in the HD 5xxx/6xxx tutorial thread.

Thanks for the ROM, I'll have a look at it later!
You say that you are using this card with Vervet: How many ports are working this way? I'd expect that max. 2 ports work (in best case). What happens when using it unflashed (=> RadeonFramebuffer)? On recent OSX versions I'd expect that this works better than flashing with Vervet...

Regarding the Eyefinity card: I attached two displays back then. Have to get it out of the cupboard since I have not used it for a long time.

Regarding the new 5870 ROMs: No differences spotted (except your rom revision edit), DVI bootscreen on upper DVI port, HDMI and DP are inactive until desktop. When I try to flash the second ROM atiflash claims that "ROM is already programmed" so both of your new ROMs are identical.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »

Thanks for testing! Are you sure that you didn't build both ROMs using the same .efi.rom file? They're not identical (different md5)...
YNWA
Not Newbie

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »

Thanks for testing! Are you sure that you didn't build both ROMs using the same .efi.rom file? They're not identical (different md5)...

Sorry, my bad, I mixed things up.

Nevertheless the result stays the same: All 3 ROMs I tested so far only show the boot screen on the upper DVI port.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »

That's strange, I'd have expected the 5870 to behave similar to the 5770. I'll double-check if I've done a mistake while modifying the EFI. Thanks for testing though!  Smiley
Fl0r!an

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »

Regarding the Eyefinity card: I've had a look at the port mapping in the vBIOS and it doesn't match Zonalis very well. Zonalis seems to be designed for the 5870 Eyefinity 6 card (Bios: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/72498/gigabyte-hd5870-2048-100218.html): Transmitter, Encoder and SenseID all match perfectly here, only the port order doesn't, but I don't think that this matters.
For your 5770 Eyefinity it seems to be best to use it with RadeonFramebuffer (as long as this doesn't create any drawbacks regarding multi-display capabilities). I've asked already asked this question at the very beginning of this thread, but I'll do it again: How would you make a flashed card use RadeonFramebuffer? Is there any simple way to disable the injection of a specific framebuffer in the EFI? As for more recent OSX versions this would definitely make sense, because all my ATI cards (5770, 6870, R9 280) are running perfectly fine in my hackintosh without injection of any framebuffer.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 04:31:44 PM »

Short update: 5870's HDMI port is mapped to sense id 0x4, which doesn't exist in the Apple 5870 card, so I guess this port can't have a boot screen unless someone figures out where the sense id is mapped inside the EFI. It should be possible to enable display port however. I've received my own HD 5870 today, will do some testing in the next days.
waimtrp
Not Newbie

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »

i tested your Roms with my Ref. AMD 5870 , boot screen at upper DVI port same as others tested, then i try DP with a DVI adapter , boot screen show, but after boot to desktop , it go blank , cheek under system profile , no display show , looks like signal gone .
Fl0r!an

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »

Thanks for reporting back!

Which ROM gave you the DP->DVI bootscreen? Both?!
Were you using an active DVI adapter or a passive one?
waimtrp
Not Newbie

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2015, 04:16:59 AM »

both Rom the same, i use passive DP to DVI adapter
Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »

The videocard switches to DVI-mode when using a passive adapter (is recognized as a DVI-device; perhaps a active adapter is necessary to "hide" the DVI-spec).

I don't know if this case is also affecting the port-mapping. I guess it is, Florian can answer this question.  Wink
Fl0r!an

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »

Played a bit around with my new 5870 today, but most I could get on Display Port was power cycling the display. Upper DVI works fine.
I'm really curious what else determines if a port is working or not: Port type, Encoder, Transmitter and Sense ID all match perfectly, but that's still not enough.  Huh

@Bunga-Bunga: Yeah, a passive adapter doesn't count as real DP.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »

Does anyone have one of the more recent but less popular Radeons (e.g. 7770, 7850 (Eyefinity), R7 250X, R9 270(X)) lying around? Would be quite cool to enable some more Radeons which have been neglected in the Mac Pro flashing world because of wrong framebuffers and/or no bootscreen.

HD 7850 Eyefinity (6x mDP) looks promising, because OSX has a perfectly matching framebuffer (Ikura) for it. And for a total of 6 ports odds are quite good that I can enable boot screens for at least one of them.  Grin

I've also read something about a flashed HD 7770 with just VGA boot screen, would be interesting, too.

Of course I could buy all these cards and play around with them, but as I've said before, I don't do this because I need a specific card for my Mac Pro (I don't even have a Mac Pro myself), but mainly for the challenge, so I'd need some people to help me testing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: