netkas.org forum
July 23, 2019, 07:27:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 304835 times)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »

I don't really care if someone makes money by selling flashed PC cards. There's certainly a market for stuff like that, because many MacPro users are afraid to brick their cards, don't know how to flash them or simply don't know that it's even possible to use regular PC cards. But I think it's incredibly stupid to start selling the first (!!!) version that comes up, although it's not proven to be reliable nor finished. The least I'd expect is some feedback to this thread describing what has been tested, what's working and what doesn't work on which card (as all of you have done so far  Smiley )
blacksheep

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 07:31:33 AM »

Simply post uncompressed EFI (if you want to post anything further). It will reduce amount of "macbitches" drastically. Copy-paste kiddies are scared to death when they see the hex editor Wink
Fl0r!an

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »

if you want to post anything further

Of course I will, provided that I'll be able to make further improvements.
Btw, nothing new from my side so far. Hope the 5770 will arrive soon, then I'll do some testing.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »

Did some testing with my HD 6870 today, but I couldn't make any improvements. As expected, DVI 1 lost boot screen when I changed its txmit/enc values to something wrong, but I couldn't make DP1 nor DVI2 show a bootscreen by correcting their values. Must have been a lot of luck with the HD 5870 I guess.  Grin

However, since my HD 6870 is a non-reference one (1xDP, 2xDVI, 1x HDMI) I'd like to do some tests with a reference one (2x mDP, 2xDVI, 1xHDMI). I've attached a modified (uncompressed) EFI file, would be awesome if someone could try this out. Things I've changed:

Code:
HDMIC: 0x22/0x5 => 0x11/0x2
DP1:   0x11/0x2 => 0x22/0x5
DP2:   0x21/0x3 => 0x12/0x4

I'm quite confident that HDMI might work, because it does on my card (by default), and the reference card only differs in txmit/enc values (which I've adjusted) but not in senseid/i2cid. Would be interesting if there's something on DisplayPort, too. DVI is untouched, so there should not have changed anything (DVI1 fully working, DVI2 completely dead).

* 6870HDMI.efi (130 KB - downloaded 453 times.)
Rominator

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »

I don't have any 6870s so i sit this round out.

Keep in mind that Netkas made 6870 EFI from iMac rom, so "Reference" is a Mac MXM board.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
blacksheep

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 06:13:32 AM »

Fl0r!an, I had literally only 10 minutes to test your 6870 mods out, and here's what I got (reference card):
– HDMI works after the OS driver is loaded, on EFI stage it only power cycles the display (signal sent, signal lost)
– both mDPs act the same: no signal on EFI stage, but both do work when OS drives takes control over

During the weekend I was trying to improve my EBC 6870 EFI, but even if I have a perfect match between BIOS and EFI connectors (except upper DVI ofc) it isn't enough. Some more testing to come.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 09:38:18 AM »

Okay, thanks for testing!

I wonder why HDMI isn't working for you, since txmit, enc and senseid all match. So there must be even another thing that decides whether a port is working or not...
Fl0r!an

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »

My HD 5770 finally arrived today. I think those pictures speak more than words.  Grin

Found another location (in total: 4 different locations!) where I had to adjust the txmit value.
Quite funny: Changes from HD 5870 (which enabled upper DVI) did not work, although port mapping in vBIOS looks completely identically. Seems the EFI consists of a good portion of black magic...  Grin Enabling the lower DVI (0x10/0x0) works however.
As you can see, the resolution is wrong on DP, but that could also be some pram/nvram thing I guess.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:24:56 PM by Fl0r!an » Logged
blacksheep

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »

You're the man! Grats.
I still have too little time for this, but in a few days I should get some for fiddling with few various models I have handy.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »

Cool, would be great if you could do some additional testing as I won't have much time in the next weeks. Enabling boot screens on your 6870 EBC ROM would be awesome, would be a great alternative for MacPro 1,1 guys!  Smiley

Hint: Search for comparison operations that include the internal ID of a specific port (e.g. 0x1080 for HDMIC oder 0x200 for DP2) to find the mappings inside the EFI. You should find 4 different locations in total which set either txmit or enc value (or both) to a specific port.
Would be cool to find out where the port number and/or the sense id is set, because at least one of them seems to matter: When flipping the mappings for DP and HDMI, neither of them will work (although they are technically the same port type in the EFI, because HD 5000 has 2 DP ports and no HDMI). I think it's also quite notable that HDMI works although it's mapped to DP2.  Grin
Rominator

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 05:14:25 AM »

I don't really care if someone makes money by selling flashed PC cards. There's certainly a market for stuff like that, because many MacPro users are afraid to brick their cards, don't know how to flash them or simply don't know that it's even possible to use regular PC cards. But I think it's incredibly stupid to start selling the first (!!!) version that comes up, although it's not proven to be reliable nor finished. The least I'd expect is some feedback to this thread describing what has been tested, what's working and what doesn't work on which card (as all of you have done so far  Smiley )

Yeah, the level of douchbaggery from some in the flashing crowd boggles the mind. Some roms are here for all to use, and some aren't. The King of The Douchebags right now is a guy named Todd Piscu in North Carolina. On top of stealing things, he then rebrands them and claims that the original writer STOLE IT FROM HIM !!! All to make a few bucks from his "Fire Bird" company. That wonderful combination of misappropriation combined with lies trying to claim you stole from him. Very hard to understand how such a person lives with themselves, knowing that their "company" is founded on lies and theft. (I have some humorous emails of his, in addition to being a liar he is also quite paranoid and narcissistic )

I think the real challenge ahead is to apply these discoveries to the Eyefinity 6 versions of 5xxx and 7xxx cards. I was able to locate the PCIE 2.0 switch for most of them but our previous attempts at EFI were limited. You have potentially opened up some great cards.

Another challenge that I think might be worth it is matching subsystem id and vendor id on 7970 EFI to make it id as D700. There is some funky math, probably from EFI that blocks trying to change this through the obvious means in BIOS. Changing the BIOS to match the D700 doesn't get expected result. May or may not be worth it, but as they share Vendor and Device ID it sure would be fun if flashed 7970s came up as "FirePro D700" like they briefly did in 10.9.

Thanks again Florian for being a "giver" instead of a "taker", we've been short of them for awhile.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:53:16 PM by netkas » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
DavNeil
Not Newbie

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »

I am also going to have some free time in next month or so. I can help too. I don't have any card but I can buy and test most within reasonable range. Point me which one to buy and I will buy and test.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »

Hey guys,

I've been a bit lazy this week, the weather was too good...  Grin
I've attached updated versions of the 5870 EFI (uncompressed, 2 variants as before), would be awesome if someone could test them. I'd assume that one of both files will enable bootscreens on 3 out of 4 digital outputs (DP, HDMI and the same DVI as before).

@Rominator: Oh well, I think I can understand why you appear a little "grumpy" on some of your posts. Grin I think some people must be really desperate if they have to make money like that.

Do you have any of those Eyefinity Radeons? That looks indeed like a really interesting challenge, but I don't have any of these cards and they seem to be quite rare (not even one 5xxx card on ebay and only a few 7xxx).

What would be the benefit of flashing the 7970 to become a D700?

@DavNeil: Thanks for your offer! I think that Eyefinity stuff looks quite interesting, maybe you can get one of these? For the standard cards we already have some guys for testing, so you wouldn't need to buy one.

* 5870mod.efi (108.5 KB - downloaded 495 times.)
* 5870mod2.efi (108.5 KB - downloaded 482 times.)
YNWA
Not Newbie

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »

Hey guys,

I've been a bit lazy this week, the weather was too good...  Grin
I've attached updated versions of the 5870 EFI (uncompressed, 2 variants as before), would be awesome if someone could test them. I'd assume that one of both files will enable bootscreens on 3 out of 4 digital outputs (DP, HDMI and the same DVI as before).

@Rominator: Oh well, I think I can understand why you appear a little "grumpy" on some of your posts. Grin I think some people must be really desperate if they have to make money like that.

Do you have any of those Eyefinity Radeons? That looks indeed like a really interesting challenge, but I don't have any of these cards and they seem to be quite rare (not even one 5xxx card on ebay and only a few 7xxx).

What would be the benefit of flashing the 7970 to become a D700?

@DavNeil: Thanks for your offer! I think that Eyefinity stuff looks quite interesting, maybe you can get one of these? For the standard cards we already have some guys for testing, so you wouldn't need to buy one.

I could help testing those ROMs, too. I have a Reference 5870 and an Eyefinity 5770 (XFX with 5 Mini-DP). But I am struggling to re-compress your EFI. Maybe you could give a few hints how to progress.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:47:14 PM by YNWA » Logged
Fl0r!an

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »

Sounds great, I'll build a compressed 5870 EFI tomorrow when I'm at home.

Could you provide a ROM dump of your Eyefinity Radeon? Would really like to play around with it! Smiley
Are you currently using it in OSX?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: