netkas.org forum
September 21, 2017, 04:17:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 119966 times)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 09:54:06 PM »

Wow, thats awesome!  Shocked Way better than expected  Grin

Regarding DVI-mapping both ROMs are identical, so it's no surprise that they have the same DVI port working. Only difference is DP/HDMI mapping: I'd expect that only one of the ROMs enables bootscreen on those two ports. As I've said, the 5870 EFI only provides support for one single DVI port, so it would require some extra work to include a second one (more than just fixing some mapping.
Would be nice if you could test HDMI and DP and tell me which of the ROMs work (if they do at all). I'll apply the same modifications to the 6870 and test all ports; hopefully I'll be able to do this tomorrow.

Wanna bet when the first 5870 with boot screen appears on ebay?  Grin
Rominator

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 11:31:57 PM »

Mod # 2 doesn't give boot screens via HDMi or DP.

The upper DVI port does have it.

The DP port still won't run an Apple MDP display, but I think that is a hardware issue. There were later XFX 5870s that could at one point. It was after they switch to a center fan, don't recall the version #.

Anyhow, will check mod#1 and see if they work there.

Great work, nice to have someone show up with working mod instead of with their hands out and/or complaining when we don't write roms for every card they ask about.

really nice work, a mystery from years ago finally solved

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Spacedust

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 11:37:20 PM »

Great work. Now we need make the same for HD5770 Wink
Rominator

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »

Go right ahead !

BTW, there is an error in the above files.

While the uncompressed EFI is different, the finished products are the same.

Will let you know which is wrong.

mod 2 has the error, I will test and report results and include a finished rom for it if it works

UPDATE: Looks like Mod 2 doesn't give boot screens to DP or HDMi either.

So perhaps needs more work?

I was reminded of one of the cool things about these cards, Apple enabled Sound output via MDP on a 5,1 only. My flashed 4,1 also has this, and in the Sound Control Panel I saw HDMI. Oddly, when I plugged DP in as well, they both said "DisplayPort", then when I unplugged the DP again, the HDMI was correctly identified.

I will double check that the mod2 I made was correct, the way to tell was that the compressed file began with "A8" while mod1 starts with "A7"

But even just having DP is a revelation. This makes 5xxx cards better match for 1,1 and 2,1 since while they can use 7950/70 they need to run a modded boot.efi to do so.

Florian, I obviously have a 5870 and a variety of displays, happy to test more.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:09:28 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fl0r!an

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 07:56:15 AM »

Many thanks for testing!  Smiley

While the uncompressed EFI is different, the finished products are the same.
Oh sorry, must have mixed up some files. Good that you've noticed! Smiley

UPDATE: Looks like Mod 2 doesn't give boot screens to DP or HDMi either.

So perhaps needs more work?
Too bad, I'll have another look inside the EFI later today. On the other hand, would be boring if my very first ROM was already working perfectly, wouldn't it?  Tongue
Did you verify that your card matches the layout I posted earlier (redsock_bios_decoder)? I guess that the SenseID is also inside the EFI and we'll have to adjust this, too (and this single DVI port was just a lucky hit). But I'll look for some obvious mistakes first.

All you need is in this thread. Before providing modified/improved versions of all kinds of ROMs I'd like to understand things better and and apply the fix for other ports, too.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »

Okay, I've had another look into the HD 5870 EFI, but I didn't find anything new. Maybe there's something else I've not found so far, or (would be better  Grin ) the tested cards differ in their DP/HDMI port mapping from my redsock_bios_decoder output.
While looking through the EFIs I've created a list containing all port mappings from all EFIs. A comparison with any compatible card will show you which bytes have to be modified to enable boot screen for a specific port (beside some more changes maybe, we'll see).

blacksheep

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 02:40:55 PM »

Great work!
I'll dig through this during the weekend. Got 6870 and 5870 for testing.

BTW, by "senseID" I more meant corresponding i2cid value. If (0x92 or 0x93 for HDMI for example). This one I was looking for, and if it does not match between EFI and the BIOS - port does not work. I'll let you know what I'll find.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »

Would be great if you'd have a look, too, two heads are better than one  Smiley
I have been looking for both the sense ID and i2cid (I think they are linked, so only one would be needed, right?). I've found exactly one instance of 0x90, 0x91, 0x92, 0x93, 0x94, 0x95 which really looks like i2cid, but I didn't find any connection to a specific port/port ID.

Today I had planned to try it out myself with the HD 6870 but just with the first flash I've produced a brick.  Grin Don't know what I've done wrong, I thought I did everything in the same way as yesterday with the HD 5870. The MacPro even refused to start up with that "bad" card in it, it didn't even make the startup chime.  Huh
Had to take the card home and re-flash it in my hackintosh (where it was working completely fine, even with the "bad" ROM). Has anyone of you seen this behavior before?  Undecided
Rominator

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:08 PM »

Welcome to the joys of rom writing. Some of the things I found took months of trial and error.

Quite common for EFI to be a dead end and stop boot. Sometimes rom is so bad that you have to remove EEPROM and start fresh. This is why "Dual Bios" cards are so nice to test with.

What you have done already is wonderful, all gravy at this point.

The 5870 I have is reference one.   

netkas
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »

There is better test scenario:

install refit, you will need efi-shell

once in efi shell (using 5870 with no efi, and some second card for output (like 2600xt)), you can load the efi driver or efi rom

with commands load and loadpcirom

this way you wont get any output  on 5870, but at least can test for some deadlocks.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 07:17:12 PM »

Nice idea, I'll try this next time.
iHack13

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »

Hey there,

I have a 5770 but no Mac Pro.
But willing to help. Let me know if I can do anything.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »

Two days! Grin http://www.ebay.de/itm/ATI-RADEON-HD-5870-1GB-all-Apple-Mac-Pro-Graphics-Card-Upgrade-DVI-Bootscreen-/231549175829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item35e9680815

Why waste time on testing and further improving the ROM (or at least giving some feedback in this thread) if you could also sell some totally overpriced beta-stuff in the mean time? His nick says everything I guess  Grin Macbitch, du bist ein jämmerliches Stück Scheiße!

Back to topic: I've bought a cheap PC 5770 on ebay to do some testing myself, modifications should be quite much the same. I'll see if I can do something about the other digital ports.

@ iHack13: MacPro is required since this is all about EFI here...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:21:55 AM by Fl0r!an » Logged
iHack13

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »

Two days! Grin http://www.ebay.de/itm/ATI-RADEON-HD-5870-1GB-all-Apple-Mac-Pro-Graphics-Card-Upgrade-DVI-Bootscreen-/231549175829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item35e9680815

Why waste time on testing and further improving the ROM (or at least giving some feedback in this thread) if you could also sell some totally overpriced beta-stuff in the mean time? His nick says everything I guess  Grin Macbitch, du bist ein jämmerliches Stück Scheiße!

Back to topic: I've bought a cheap PC 5770 on ebay to do some testing myself, modifications should be quite much the same. I'll see if I can do something about the other digital ports.

@ iHack13: MacPro is required since this is all about EFI here...

Yeah . I noticed this guy selling 5770s with no bootscreen for 100 to 150 euros. I wonder who he is.

Bunga-Bunga

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »

Was soll man dazu sagen.......ich finde es ne Frechheit, damit Kohle zu machen. Rechne mal aus, was der damit an Nebenverdienst einfährt.

Zeigt aber auch, wie doof manche Mac-Nutzer sind, statt mal etwas nachzudenken viel Geld bei Apple oder dem Typen lassen......

Sorry for offtopic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: