netkas.org forum
September 23, 2019, 03:13:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 313809 times)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »

Okay, at least it behaves as expected  Grin
I've attached 2 EFI files for testing, you'll have to re-run the script again with both files to build a ROM file for flashing.

IkuraS.efi will use (well, at least I hope it will  Smiley) the IkuraS framebuffer instead of Hamachi. The DVI port which is showing a boot screen is a 100% match, the other 5 ports have mismatched Hotplug IDs. If you don't get any output on them after booting, sleep & wake your Mac and see if anything happens.

RFB.efi has just a purposely broken framebuffer name making the driver fall back to the default RadeonFramebuffer which you are using with your unflashed card. This will basically extend the unflashed behavior with boot screens.

Happy testing! Smiley

* IkuraS.efi (122.5 KB - downloaded 461 times.)
* RFB.efi (122.5 KB - downloaded 496 times.)
mew_bg
Not Newbie

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2015, 08:05:42 PM »

Florian, to where shall the beer be sent?

The IkuraS one worked only with single monitor Cheesy (it displayed correctly however that the card was 7970 in about this mac).
The second one worked precisely as predicted - now i have boot screen and also all the outputs in yosemite (and hopefully in linux/windows when I can now install them Cheesy)

In other thought (just out of self-education) - coming across this page it's stated that IkuraS is a single connector, while Ikura is with 6 outputs... might work out??

* efirfb.rom (128 KB - downloaded 430 times.)
* efiIku.rom (128 KB - downloaded 417 times.)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »

Hehe, glad it works! Smiley No need for beer here, I'm living right next to a brewery.  Tongue

Regarding IkuraS.efi: Did you try to sleep & wake your Mac with all your screens attached? When the hotplug ID is mismatched, the screens should normally become active when waking the machine.

Regarding Ikura: I'm quite sure that (as of 10.10.3+) IkuraS is the 6 port framebuffer while Ikura is the single port one. Nevertheless I've attached a EFI with Ikura, maybe it's worth a try.  Smiley

* Ikura.efi (122.5 KB - downloaded 435 times.)
Rominator

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2015, 10:28:54 PM »

This is great news !

With Fury already in parts of driver, we may have hope for real EFI cards.

Want to take another crack at the the 6 mDP 7870? Sounds like you found a good answer.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fl0r!an

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »

Want to take another crack at the the 6 mDP 7870? Sounds like you found a good answer.

Does it work unflashed, too? Enabling one or two ports for boot screens should be possible, but we'd have to use RadeonFramebuffer (which seems to work fine on the Eyefinity 7970).
rp_77_mac

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:51 PM »

Hi,

New to the "repurposing" of PC cards for Mac game.

Long time Mac user and recently became interested in upgrading my Mac Pro 2008 2 x 2.8GHz machine. It currently has an 2 x Apple ATI HD2600 and 1 x Apple ATI HD 5770.

Wanted to upgrade to a later card and began looking at ATI HD 5870 as replacement. Have been aware for some time of re-flashing possibilities and done a lot of reading up etc. for a couple of years but not actually dived into actually doing anything yet.

I managed to pick up a pair of HD 5870's from eBay (I am in Australia) that the previous owner had used in Crossfire configuration.

I plan to reflash these (use 1 and give another to a photographer friend whose 2008 Mac Pro only has a HD 2600!!).

Came across this thread in my googling/research and thought what is described here is what would be great to achieve (reflash and boot screen) and would like to provide any assistance to add to the mix if I can.

The 2 cards I have appear to be reference based cards (from what I can tell - happy to be corrected if wrong -  Smiley ).

They are:-

1) Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
2) MSI R5870

Both cards appear to be same Part Numbers and revisions (let me know if the specifics help and I'll post them) and both have 1 x MDP, 1 x HDMI and 2 x DVI ports.

Have not been able to pop them into the Mac Pro yet (received them 2 days ago and waiting on the extra 6 pin PCI-E power cables I need and ordered to arrive) but I intend dropping them in as-is to see what works and doesn't etc. and then try the re-flashing process to see what I can achieve.

Would like to get the boot screen working if possible so the solutions posted here are of interest and willing to give those a go.

If there is anything that may be of use (copies of the rom from the cards etc.) please let me know and I will provide.

I will follow the thread and post more once I have the power cables and can start tinkering!

Fl0r!an

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »

Hi!

Both of your 5870's should work fine, DVI boot screen on one port should be possible. Just take the modified EFI form this thread and combine it with your ROM.

Another update: I've just made some changes to blacksheep's HD 7770 EFI. It's not tested yet, but I hope that it will enable boot screen on 3 out of 4 ports. We'll see...
Fl0r!an

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2015, 08:01:07 AM »

Okay, so here's another small success to report: blacksheep's HD 7770 is now showing beautiful digital boot screens!  Smiley
I guess this is the cheapest fully supported Metal-card right now.  Wink
He wants to keep to ROM private though, so don't ask me to upload it.

This gave me a few new insights though that I'd like to share, and I think most of the "black magic" in the EFIs isn't that magical anymore:

• To make boot screens work, encoder, transmitter and sense id have to match
  • Encoder and Transmitter can be easily edited in the places mentioned at the beginning of this thread
  • Sense ID cannot be modified (yet), so one has to rearrange the ports in such a way, that the (fixed, hard-coded) senseid matches
  • The hotplug id doesn't matter at all
  • Neither the connector type (DVI, DP, etc) nor the connector order seem to matter

This gives us the tools to enable boot screens on every supported non-reference card, as long as the sense ids of at least some ports match the reference design.
Of course it would be really cool if this stuff could somehow be used on more recent cards (hello, Fury  Smiley). At the experts: Would be interesting to know how much you already tried regarding GCN 1.1/1.2 cards... Smiley

PS: The suff above should enable another port on the HD 5870 (I think it was DP). I'll implement the changes when I find the time, hopefuly later this week.
SMIKX

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »

I'm amazed at what you have been achieving !  Truly pioneering stuff indeed.

It inspires me to actually make some time to get stuck into making a new ROM for my VaporX 5870 using your EFis.

First I need to get something better than a 2,1 Mac Pro. . perhaps a 4 or a 5.  . if there's any left out there.

I imagine at the rate you're going . . soon .  .all will be known.

Please stay hale & hearty we need your boundless curiosity.

Mac Pro 2009 4,1>5,1 Dual Quad Core 2.93ghz 32gb ECC RAM. Sapphire Dual-X 7970 3 gb flashed. Samsung 970 EVO M.2 High Sierra 10.13.6
960 EVO Mojave 10.14.4 bootrom 141.0.0.0.0
Rominator

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »

Does it work unflashed, too? Enabling one or two ports for boot screens should be possible, but we'd have to use RadeonFramebuffer (which seems to work fine on the Eyefinity 7970).

Yes, currently it works better unflashed.

Would be great to add boot screens.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Fl0r!an

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »

@SMIKX: Shouldn't be a problem to flash your 5870 with the EFI from this thread, just do it!  Smiley

@Rominator: Okay, I'll have a look at the port mapping and do the changes later this week.
holgib

« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to build a ROM for my Asus 5850. I have reflashed it before with the stock ATI 5870 bios and ran some burn in test (e.g. Furmark) successfully. According to some forum posts, the 5850 wont be recognized properly and thats why others also reflashed  their card with 5870 bios before.

So I used  the working 5870 stock ROM, Florian's 5870 EFI and these instructions here (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,692.0.html) to build my rom. I had to push one block with the second 'mcuc' down to make room - otherwise the EFI rom part would overwrite it. Jump address fixed of course.

After flashing all works well in my flashing PC, but once installed in my 2006 Mac Pro, I get a black screen on bottom HDMI and a weird half messed up Apple logo boot screen on the top one. Once its booted into 10.7.5, both screens show different kinds of trash and it goes into a reboot loop.

Followed the procedure twice and I am a rather technical person - so don't think I did some wrong building the rom. Are you guys using the same instructions I mentioned or have any clues?

Also an already patched ATI 5870 (reference design) would be great. Maybe I DID something wrong :-).
holgib

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »

I flashed the original 5850 back but applied the patch from the thread reference in my last post. My ASUS 5850 is recognized as 5870 and works in my Mac Pro now. But I don't have any bootscreen on one of the two DVI ports.

Next step is to try the ATI patch from Fl0r!an for 5870 with my original 5850 bios together. The 5850 and 5870 are almost identical and the 5870 bios work on the PC just great.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:34:27 PM by holgib » Logged
holgib

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »

Today I flashed the last posted EFI rom from here, together with the original ASUS 5850 rom.

Finally I got a bootscreen on the upper DVI output. The other DVI remains black. Haven't tested the HDMI port yet. But I am more than happy about the outcome. Thats all I need for a hassle free Mavericks or Yosemite installation on my MacPro 1.1.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »

Hi holgib,

sorry that I didn't have the time to respond earlier, but it seems everything is working fine for you now!
I never reflashed a 5850 to 5870, but I assume that the BIOS you were using wasn't completely compatible causing these display issues. But since everything works now that doesn't matter any more! Smiley

@Rominator: I've attached a modified EFI for 7870 Eyefinity 6. Injection code is broken and ports are edited so that, with a bit of luck, DP2, DP3, Dp4 and DP6 will show a bootscreen (the last one rather unlikely). I did not change the device id yet, but I assume you'll use netkas script anyways, so this will do the job for you.
I hope that it'll work, would be a great card.  Smiley

* 7870eyefinity.efi (122.5 KB - downloaded 462 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: