netkas.org forum
May 27, 2019, 07:20:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simulating nvram?  (Read 4819 times)
Symuc

« on: January 11, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »

I'm trying to work on the Intel iwi3945 driver, and, unsurprisingly, have been getting many panics along the way.  As I only have one computer and cannot set up two-machine debugging, in order to read the kernel panics I must transcribe them and reboot.

On actual Apple hardware, the panic is saved to nvram, then crashreporterd decodes it and saves it to /Library/Logs/panic.log.  Since this system has no nvram, the panic log is not saved.

Since kNVRAMImageSize = 0x2000, only 8192 bytes would need to be kept around in order to save this information.  I must confess I'm still not quite certain how pc_efi works its magic, but would it be possible to have pc_efi simulate the nvram device, possibly by writing it to a well-known space on the hard disk, or maybe even save the panic in RAM somewhere such that most of the bits would stay the same even after a momentary power loss?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: