netkas.org forum
October 17, 2018, 10:30:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: GTX 770 Mac  (Read 43047 times)
tedkoppel

« on: March 26, 2015, 06:58:57 PM »

Is there a publically available mac efi rom for the GTX 770 (preferably the 4gb version)?
rankel
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:50:19 AM »

I am also wondering about this. There are 2gb and 4gb 680 refi roms out there, it shouldn't be a big step for the 770 as its nearly the same card. I almost wonder if you could just change the cosmetics of the 680 rom and flash the 770 with it. there seem to be plenty of people with refi flashed 770s that didn't get them from macvidcards.
Spacedust

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »

And it probably wouldn't require soldering new BIOS chip. Same for GTX980.
zimmergeil
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »

The 770 card is the exact same as the 680, the only difference is that has faster ram and is clocked a little higher, so you might as well get a 680.
rankel
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »

Unless you already HAVE the 770, which is my case. I'm about to try to flash my 770 with the 680 rom. I will report back
Fl0r!an

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »

I'm pretty sure that 770 and 680 have different device ids, so force-flashing the wrong ROM will brick it.
rankel
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »

Hehe. You can very much tell me "told you so." I did force the flash and it did very much brick the card. I have two of them sitting around, so its not a big deal, I can reflash it later shorting the pins.

So what is the solution? I see plenty of 770s out there being sold with boot screens that never passed macvidcards workbench. Is it a simple matter of modifying the 680 rom with the proper device id for the 770?
Rominator

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:04:46 AM »

1. Most flashers on Ebay are scumbags. "FireBird" is scumbag #1, rest fall in line behind him. Once they get ahold of a rom, they copy & paste it. "FireBird" used to send out 770s that still said "MacVidCards" in system profiler. He was flashing 2GB roms onto 4GB cards, etc. MacVidCards got the emails wondering why the cards ran like crap.

2. 680 & 770 are in fact basically same card, as mentioned.

3. Yes you can take 680 and change the device id in proper places and it will run on 770s. Finding all of these places is tricky. I was sent a card done this way to "fix". It ran like crap. I seem to recall that with GTX7xx bioses they added more boost states. So a 770 running a 680 BIOS got held back, even if you upped the clocks.

4. Ideally you would mod the Mac EFI to match the 770. And this is what amazes me. Nobody EVER does it themselves. They copy MVC roms and wonder why they have to keep stealing new roms to get next card working. Fermi was hard because there was only 1. But with Kepler there were 2 Mac EFIs. If you can't compare the roms and figure out what changes and why you are a freaking MORON. I'll spell a few things out to clarify.

5. While the Mac 680 could be on any of a variety of EVGA 680 roms, and thus tricky, the K5000 is a rare and limited card. Not so many roms. Think about that.

6. Anyone with a brain and some logic and reasoning could flash any of the 640/650/760/770 cards with ease. But you have to WANT to figure it out. GK110 needs other tweaks that aren't in the base EFI. But the cards I mentioned (and more) can be run from the Mac EFI. Some of the 650/660/670 can NOT work, but others will. Don't know why, no longer care. But it's there guys, all you need to know. (Hint...K5000)

7. Kepler cards rom has 5 parts. Some of these pieces are "keyed" to each other, some aren't. Some have checksums, some don't. The first 1K or 1.5K or 2K is called the "Inforom Image" and will give you no end of trouble. Most notably, nvflash will let you bugger it up, but once it's buggered, it won't let you fix it. You can sometimes recover with the shorting method, but frequently can't. Time to change eeprom chip.

8. PCIE 2.0 switch is a bitch. I only ever figured out functional part, not the cosmetic part. And amazingly, all of the copy & paste clowns have cards that have functional part right, but not cosmetic. Huh. I would gain some respect for someone else who brought something new to the table, like this. Nobody has.

9. There will never be a "Mac 770 rom". There are MANY cards, and they use different RAM, far more variations then the 680. The 680 2GB cards are mostly reference cards, so they can run the Mac rom. 770s run the gamut. And with the 5 rom pieces all needing to dovetail together happily, there won't ever be a 770 rom. I have notes on which roms work on which 770s, more then 10 entries and I still have cards show up that I have to write new ones for.

10. One more time, everything you need to know is in the "public" roms. Final hint, the "leaked" 680 4GB rom has a very interesting story behind it that I can't share. But it was masterfully done. By using the Mac 680 2GB rom as a base they got all functions working, including cosmetic part of PCIE 2.0. The RAM timings for 4GB card were placed in at needed places. This is how we used to do PPC F-Code roms back in the day. But we had Nibitor and Rivatuner to show us those timing strings. No easy way to see them anymore. But between those 3 roms, everything you need to know is there. The fact that upper DVI port function was cut later on in drivers is another interesting story.

Progress does not come from copy & pasting MVC roms. Progress comes from taking things apart, comparing & thinking. Emphasis on thinking. That Florian guy is making huge progress in AMD cards because he is applying thought and comparing things. When I work on roms I am constantly using "Command K" to compare roms. That is how I made 80% of my finds. Netkas uses other methods, but he is much more clever then I. I just look, compare , think, and try things.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:54:22 PM by netkas » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
rankel
Not Newbie

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »

Hmm. Thanks for the response Rominator... I think. I appreciate you taking the time to set some things straight. I like how you can be at once supportive and insulting. While I understand how irking it must be to have people copy your work and make you look bad, I don't necessarily think its appropriate to dismiss anyone who can't do what you see as basic and fundamental as a moron. I tried comparing a stock 680 rom and the mac 680 rom just before I saw your post. I was using the compare function and I most certainly COULD tell where changes (insertion, deletion, or change) were made because... Well they are highlighted. WHY they were changed or WHAT they mean... not as obvious. Going by your post that makes me a moron. I say nay, I just have no idea what to look for or what anything means at this point. I think it makes me less of a moron and more of an adventurer in well charted but unknown to me land. I just need to find a good map and learn the basics of the language.

This would be much like me showing you 2 different karyotypes and saying that you are a moron if you can't tell which one belongs to the individual with huntington's disease. I could also show you a bunch of southern blot gels with a single reference taken from you and tell you that you are a fool if you can't pick out the gel that comes from your long lost son.

So, lets keep it friendly. I'm no moron, just in a new place. Computers and building "Hackintosh" computers has been my hobby for a long time, and before I went to med school I was a broadcast engineer through most of my undergraduate. My surface mount soldering skills are still top notch, and my circuit analysis and troubleshooting capacity is well above average. The only thing I'm missing here is the programming knowledge, which is all that is pertinent I'm afraid (with the exception of replacing eeprom chips).

Looks like my next step is to find the K5000 rom and take a look. I need to investigate the best tools to use and read up on the language in these roms. I know the basics of hexadecimal but I have never worked with it.
Rominator

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 11:41:06 PM »

For 99% of people, much easier to just get a GTX680 4GB and overclock the rom.

Why reinvent the wheel for 5-10% more performance? In fact, truth to be told, it would be easier to google the threads where people try to turn GTX670 into a K5000 and use a resistor to change 1184 into 1180. Then a 770 could run 680 rom with just RAM changes. For most people this would still be easier then rewriting the rom.

And you missed my point. I wouldn't expect anyone to find answers by looking at 680, as I mentioned. Only by comparing 680 to K5000 changes would I expect someone to get anywhere. And then i would stand by my "moron" assertion. (OK maybe not "moron") What changes in PC part of BIOS in 680? Are same changes in K5000? How about EFI? Comparing those 4 files holds ALL needed info. The info is there, finding Fermi was tricky with just 1 card, but Kepler with 2 cards is much easier.

Great that you did med school. My brother is a Dr., but despite the miles from TX to CA I can hear the quacking from here. I wouldn't entrust him with the life of a garden slug yet the state licensing board gave him OK to work on people. My sis is about to finish her PHD, we shall see if it carries more weight with her. The last computer class I took was when I was 14, compiling FORTRAN as I recall. No computer training other then using them, my education all in pointless liberal arts hoo-haa. Care to hear which of Chaucer's works has the greatest relevance in my daily life?

Finding the PCIE 2.0 switch for Kepler was several weeks of trial and error by myself. Netkas finds a good many things by using real tools. I stare at code and try things until i find an answer. IDA is your friend if you can tackle the learning curve, I couldn't and went back to trial & error. Netkas couldn't find Kepler PCIE switch using IDA, I found it by making changes and testing. I know what works but couldn't begin to tell you why. It is unintelligible code to me, but it does what I needed to find. I found it for each and every Nvidia card since GTX260. Always in a different place, never knew how it worked, I just made changes to mimic Mac version in a PC one until it worked. Had no help (except for Maxwell), did it myself just by staring at giant fields of hex code and being logical.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:02:55 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
rankel
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »

I'm not a practitioner, thank god. I'm in research.

It is not the practicality of the matter so much as a personal endeavor to make it happen for myself. I would just like to be able to do it for myself for the sake of accomplishment.

So I am somewhat confused about where you are telling me to look. It seems you are telling me not to look at the 680 and telling me to look at the 680 at the same time. Would I be well advised to compare the changes between mac and pc 680 to the mac and pc K5000?

Also, I am having a bit of trouble finding information on which sections of the rom are which. I found a great article on the mac elite that describes how to find device ID and such, but no mention of the EFI. The article is pretty old by computer hardware standards but I figure it should still be pretty helpful. I figure it may be part of the "boot settings" section, but I have not gotten to explore any more since my last post.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 01:43:24 PM »

@Rominator: I really like those posts! Very interesting to see how you're working and what you've achieved in the past.
Most people don't believe that you can teach astonishingly much to yourself, especially when it comes to computer stuff. They think programming is something like magic and they won't ever be able to do it, so they don't even bother learning it. But in fact the operating principle of a computer is quite simple, there's nothing to be afraid of. Everything is based on logic and simple math. The only problem is to handle the huge amount of data and instructions, which is simple for a machine but not so simple for the human brain.

It's also funny to see that you reveal a quite big lot of information about EFI hacking, but the ebay guys are still not able to do anything on their own. For example in the German eBay you'll only find legacy HD 5770/5870 (mostly without bootscreen), HD 6870, 7950/7970 and Nvidia GTX 680. Not a single Kepler card besides that let alone Maxwell. (Additionally I think the market for hacked GPUs is nowhere near as big here as in the US, but that's a different story. As the eBay history shows, most money is made with legacy HD 5xxx cards, every now and then they sell a "new" R9 card or GTX 680.).

It is not the practicality of the matter so much as a personal endeavor to make it happen for myself. I would just like to be able to do it for myself for the sake of accomplishment.
I can totally understand this kind of motivation and would like to encourage you to pursue this plan, preferably in public. Just start a new thread (or take this one) where you write down what you plan to do, what you've understood so far and what you've already achieved. Would be interesting to read for a lot of people, and maybe every now and then a clever guy would come by and give you a hint.
This also shouldn't hurt MVCs business since Kepler has reached it's end of life, and Maxwell is a different story I guess.

To get you started: Yes, Rominator told you to compare the PC BIOS and the Mac-EFI of GTX 680 and K5000. With the physical differences of these cards in mind, it should be quite easy discover the purpose of different parts in the EFI.
If the structure of Nvidia ROMs is similar to the AMD ROMs (have never looked at one, so I don't know), then it should consist of a PC BIOS part and an attached EFI part. The EFI part might be compressed, so you'd have to decompress it (tools for this are open source). After this, you might either view the raw hex code or disassamble the EFI binary e.g. with IDA Pro. The latter makes many things a lot more obvious, because the assembly instructions will be converted in human-readable code. For data sections this won't be of any use however.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:45:37 PM by Fl0r!an » Logged
rankel
Not Newbie

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »

Thank you for the encouragement Fl0r!an. I appreciate it.

Finding the EFI by comparing the 7970 mac vs pc roms was exceedingly simple. There is simply a huge block of additional information at the end of the mac rom. The (what I am assuming is) empty space on either side of the new information is different (Fs instead of 0s). Does this matter? I see that a lot comparing other roms. strings of 0s replaced by strings of Fs.

comparing the 680 roms and K5000 roms is different. I still see a big block of new information at the end of the mac rom, but it shares a little information with the PC rom, and it isn't just an entirely new block at the end of an otherwise identical rom.

I am very much enjoying this. Having a bit of support and a place to keep a log will be fun. If it is OK I will continue posting on this thread. Let me know if it would be more appropriate to start a new thread.
rankel
Not Newbie

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:15 AM »

I have not had much time to fool around with things, but I have a few things to note. The Mac Elite has a neat article on NVIDIA roms, but it seems to be pretty outdated. Some of the information is useful, but some no longer applies. In terms of just getting familiar with how roms are put together, I have taken to using a bios editor to change just one thing at a time, and see what changes in the rom (comparing original to edited). This has illustrated simple things such as fan speed, with some limitations. For example, there must be a different part of the rom that dictates more than the minimum and maximum fan speeds; such as sensitivity, change delay, and fan curve.

I am assuming that this is the case with other things too, though I am unsure if they are found grouped together in the rom, or if they are spread out in different areas of the ROM. Much more tinkering is needed. I tried using IDA pro, but I'm not really sure if I am doing it right. there seem to be different ways of opening a file, so I just selected all the default options. The only real usefulness that jumps out at me with some superficial inspecting is that it tells you where functional groups start and stop, a lot like start and stop codons. while this is useful, it still does't tell me what is what.

any hints or suggestions are welcome.

I think my next major step is going into the 2gb 680 rom and changing the device id and refreshing a 770 to see what happens there.
Rominator

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 09:09:36 PM »

Mac elite article likely about fcode PPC roms and not even slightly relevant if so.

You don't need to change fan speeds or adjust RAM timings, yet. Primary challenge is changing device I'd in BIOS and EFI.

Modern Nvidia EFI has 5 functional sections, AMD has 2.

1. InFoRom image
2. PC BIOS
3. EFI/UEFI
4. Some weird section
5. Security certificate

All 5 sections need to match for card to work in Mac and Windows.

Probably easier to start learning on Fermi as they only had 2 parts but many
EFI changes and BIOS changes are similar.

I will give a warning, with KEPLER and Maxwell if you make changes to rom that are t properly reflected in the InFoRom inage, it may let you flash the card into a non-functional state but then not let you flash it back, giving the message "failed to merge inforom image". If you do not have means to erase EEPROM you have created a "brick".

Better to start with Fermi.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: