netkas.org forum
December 03, 2020, 01:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUID hard disk live non-destructive resize / install Vista 32bits / Interesting!  (Read 20137 times)
bob

MacBook Pro 13" touch bar, 2016. eGPU (Windows).

« on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »

Hi. Well i just did some, maybe weird things, but works and might be interesting for some ones...
I got Vista installed on my HD that was a GUID partition table with only one partition with Leo and PC EFI 8 and i had no windows installed. So i saw that having GUID DiskUtility lets you resize partitions just draging/re-dimensioning like a window, so, i went to experiment.. Smiley
First i did was boot with Leo pathced DVD. When inside, opened DiskUtility and went to the disk and resized the partition leaving an empty space... Then created another partition in the empty space (diskutility let you do this on guid too), but set the new partition as MS-DOS, applied the changed and then reboot... Main HD wont boot anymore, so booted with vista dvd and when inside, went until the install partition selection, and there i had 4 partitions, and i chosed the last one (i've named it as WinVistaHD) and formated that, then did the vista install on that partition... After vista installed completely with the needed reboots, i downloaded EasyBCD, installed,  and added the grub bootloader that commes with EasyBCD.. then on the grub params used:

title Leo
    kernel (hd0,2)/NST/boot_v8

And copied boot_v8 to the NST folder on C: saved the changes and rebooted, when the boot menu appeared, i did select Grub, then Leo, then pressed F8 and the darwin boot menu went there! so booted as single user + verbose + fail-safe (-v -s -x) then run fsck -fy, mounted the partition for writing (mount -uw /) and deleted Extensions.mkext (just in the case) Smiley then rebooted, entered booted into leo and every went perfect!

But this is not all, now after ive started osx again and opened VMWare Fusion (i got linux in a VM), it automatically detected a BootCamp Partition and installed/configured alone a new Virtual Machine! So looks like that partition is recognized as BootCamp partition...

* Very nice!!! i thought i had to share this Smiley
gotoh

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »

Hi. Well i just did some, maybe weird things, but works and might be interesting for some ones...
I got Vista installed on my HD that was a GUID partition table with only one partition with Leo and PC EFI 8 and i had no windows installed. So i saw that having GUID DiskUtility lets you resize partitions just draging/re-dimensioning like a window, so, i went to experiment.. Smiley
First i did was boot with Leo pathced DVD. When inside, opened DiskUtility and went to the disk and resized the partition leaving an empty space... Then created another partition in the empty space (diskutility let you do this on guid too), but set the new partition as MS-DOS, applied the changed and then reboot... Main HD wont boot anymore,
that's because as soon as you create a Fat32 partition in OS X, it is set as active partition. And OS X automatically sets drive format to mixed MBR/GPT for bootcamp sake in real intel Macs. While EFI on intel Macs still looks for blessed partition / System folder, this is precisely what allows EFI partition selector to boot Windows. But on Hackintosh, it also overwrite boot files (so PC EFI)
... so booted with vista dvd and when inside, went until the install partition selection, and there i had 4 partitions, and i chosed the last one (i've named it as WinVistaHD) and formated that, then did the vista install on that partition... After vista installed completely with the needed reboots, i downloaded EasyBCD, installed,  and added the grub bootloader that commes with EasyBCD.. then on the grub params used:

title Leo
    kernel (hd0,2)/NST/boot_v8

And copied boot_v8 to the NST folder on C: saved the changes and rebooted, when the boot menu appeared, i did select Grub, then Leo, then pressed F8 and the darwin boot menu went there! so booted as single user + verbose + fail-safe (-v -s -x) then run fsck -fy, mounted the partition for writing (mount -uw /) and deleted Extensions.mkext (just in the case) Smiley then rebooted, entered booted into leo and every went perfect!

But this is not all, now after ive started osx again and opened VMWare Fusion (i got linux in a VM), it automatically detected a BootCamp Partition and installed/configured alone a new Virtual Machine! So looks like that partition is recognized as BootCamp partition...

* Very nice!!! i thought i had to share this Smiley

if you want to get rid of Vista bootloader, you should now be able to reinstall PC_EFI and it should allow you to boot OS X and Vista directly form PC_EFI
BTW, VMWare will detect "bootcamp" even if you have only a standard MBR drive, just FYI
bob

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »

No needed gptsync, linux or anything to do the changes, did all with leo dvd... thats the good thing to me...  Smiley
BTW: VMWare Fusion did not detect Windows or anything before, when i had other partitions schemes.
comatron
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:17:01 PM »

when i make space after the leo partition (not fat, empty partition) vista says "cant install on GPT-drives" ... will that work when i format the empty space to fat?
Krazubu
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:14:15 PM »

Same for me, even when using gptsync, vista sees and can format the drive, but it wrote on the bottom that it can't be installed on this drive because it is in GPT partition style
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:21:44 AM by Krazubu » Logged
bob

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »

Well, all i can say is how i did it (first post), and my vista 32 bits clean install went perfect; and all i did was ussing GPT and Disk Utility  Smiley

* shoot.JPG (144.35 KB, 1184x713 - viewed 899 times.)
pion
Not Newbie

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »

hey bob, i used your method and it works prefect on vista 64bit  Grin
thank you so much.
bob

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »

Cool! good to hear x64 works too!!! Smiley
Krazubu
Not Newbie

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 01:50:35 PM »

I finally managed. My HD had 4 partitions, I deleted the 3rd, and disk utility suddenly decided that my HD was partitioned for bootcamp (it's written next to the partitions graphic). However I lost the space for this partition, and the hole is now displayed at the begining of the drive. If I try to resize or reallocate something, the bootcamp feature goes away. I'll try with other partition tools
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:53:19 PM by Krazubu » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: