netkas.org forum
September 22, 2017, 10:58:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Mini Firmware Upgrade Utility Needed (help request).  (Read 366509 times)
brent.stereo247

« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »

Followed all the steps to the T and no luck.
At step 3 the bios update screen appears for a second and then reboots into windows. What could be wrong? Maybe the downloaded package (tried it thrice now)?
brent.stereo247

« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »

Ok I managed to resolve this. First check to ensure your efi is the latest here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

If not (like me) the efi update never installed because of an issue with SL 10.6.8 first download the following file and install it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1512

Then update the efi via the first link (yay!) and then follow Shinso's directions Smiley
Shinso

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »

Simple Guide On Upgrading A 2006 Mac Mini Firmware To 2007 Mac Mini Firmware

The Basic Idea

The purpose of this upgrade is to allow your machine to accept more than 2 GB of RAM on your 2006 Mac Mini, and to also be able to run OS X Lion. It is a very nice upgrade because if you put a cheap fast Core 2 Duo processor, max out the RAM to 4 GB, and install an SSD all for about $150.00 (as of 09/12), you'll get a computer that's faster than the late 2009 base model Mac Mini! Here is an example of what you can expect & this is one with 2 GB of RAM. In any case, this is a fun DIY project that will give your computers years of life to it.

Note: There should be no risks in doing this as the hardware is essentially the same between the 2006 and 2007 Mac Minis except that the 2007 Mac Mini has a Core 2 Duo Processor whereas the 2006 has a Core Duo Processor. You will need to find a Core 2 Duo Processor (a 2.33 GHz T7600 SL9SD Core 2 Duo is recommended) to do this upgrade. Also, I would strongly recommend reading this guide before doing anything, and also printing it for reference!

1) First, upgrade the CPU to the Core 2 Duo Processor (otherwise your machine cannot accept 4 GB of RAM). This is a good guide on how to do it. At this step, do not have more than 2 GB of RAM installed, as the current firmware thinks 2 GB is all it can handle. If you don't, then your computer won't boot until you remove the excess RAM.

2) Second, upgrade macmini firmware to 2,1.

3) Third, put the new ram 2 X 2 GB in the mini. The macmini 1,1 firmware will not/is unable to boot with 4 GB. So, install the RAM last!!!

What You Need Before You Start

A) You will need to upgrade your Core Duo processor to a Core 2 Duo. I recommend the T7600 SL9SD 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor. They're selling on eBay for about $65 as of 09/2012 (they were originally about $500 about 4 years ago!). Keep in mind that this processor is actually more powerful than the late 2009 BASE MODEL Mac Mini's processor which is a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor. This is the trickiest installation as it's kind of a pain in the ass. It's not difficult, but you should read some guides that are floating around on the internet in order to do it without much hassle and watch a youtube video or two. This is a good place to start and also this page. One major tip: Get four "4-40 X 3/4 of an inch" Nylon screws with nuts. You will need them! They may be hard to find, but here is a seller on eBay (name is cclay1) who sells them. The only place that may sell them in your area/locally would be a Fastenal outlet store.

B) 2 x 2 GB RAM Sticks. PC2-5300, unbuffered, nonparity, 200-pin, 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM is what you need. Brands that Apple has/tends to use and recommended are: Crucial, Samsung, Nanya, Hynix, Kingston but honestly as long as it meets the above requirements you should be fine. You can go with any brand, but a name brand will probably make you feel better.

I bought 2 x 2 GB Samsung RAM Modules from eBay for a total of $25.00.This is the RAM I bought - Samsung PC2-5300 RAM Model ID: M470T5663EH3-CF7.

C) Snow Leopard installed with all updates applied including EFI firmware updates.

D) About 30 min - 1 hour to install the firmware upgrade.

Steps

0)* You probably already had the EFI firmware update done automatically if you have Snow Leopard and have had all updates applied. To be safe, be sure that you have the latest EFI (which is like a BIOS but for Apple computers) for your Mac Mini. First check to ensure your efi is the latest here:

For some users, the efi update never installed because of an issue with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 so, if this applies to you, first download the following file and install it:

*Note: Step 0) will probably not be needed, and odds are you won't have to do it either.

1) You download this file**:

Main Link: Mac Mini 1,1 to 2,1 Upgrade.zip Working As Of 09/18/2012

Alternate Link: Mac Mini 1,1 to 2,1 Upgrade Working As Of 09/18/2012

**Attached to this post is a text document that has links for download locations as well in case the above links expire. If this is no longer up on any of the mirrors, then ask around, PM members on this forum, etc..

Ok, now you put the two files in "/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates".

You check the permissions (if you're having trouble with this, download/just use the program BatChmod to allow all permissions for the directory "firmware updates" for yourself and all users. Otherwise, if you're savvy with the command line, you know what to do.

2) INPUT THE FOLLOWING CODE INTO TERMINAL!

In Terminal, paste the terminal code below EXACTLY as it is written and make sure there are no extra spaces/weird formatting when copying it:

Terminal Code:

sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

Where it says sudo in the terminal code, I did a sudo to run it as root, but someone else did "sudo su" instead. First try "sudo" and it should work. Press enter. You will get a long string of code, and the very last lines will say:

"Executing "/sbin/umount"
Returned 0"

This is a good sign.

3) Now, you turn off the computer, and unplug it for about 15 seconds, then replug it.

Now, and this is what tripped me up before as nobody was super clear on this, you HOLD the power button for a couple of seconds (about 4-5s) until the little white sleep light on the front of the mac mini (near the superdrive slot), starts quickly flickering then let go. Machine will now turn on, and a progress bar will show up. Let it take its time (took me about 7 minutes for it to flash completely).

After the Mac Mini is flashed, you may or will have an odd screen show up and the Mac Mini will probably keep on resetting. Do not worry. You then turn off the Mac Mini by pressing the power button, then turn it back on, and then quickly do a PRAM reset by holding command + option + P + R at the same time. Once it restarts one more time, let go of the buttons, and let the Mac Mini boot to OS X.

4) Finally, to check if it updated, login to your account, go to "About Mac" in your menu bar, click "more info" and it should now say, "Model Identifier: Macmini2,1" instead of "Model Identifier: Macmini1,1."

5) You can now open your Mac Mini and add up to 4GB of RAM. Congrats!

NOTE: You gain a total of 3.3 GB of useable RAM (use 2 x 2 GB RAM Sticks) though the machine will say you have 4 GB installed.  Lion does NOT install natively from the App Store. You will have to use one of the available workarounds (i.e. download and put on flash drive).  But hey, at least you gained 1.3 GB RAM :-) Also, try upgrading (if haven't done already) your HD to an SSD, and also upgrade to OS X Lion. OS X Lion runs beautifully on a T7600 SL9SD 2.33 GHz Mac Mini with 4 GB of RAM installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Install OS X Lion

Here is a good thread detailing how to do it.

I installed OS X Lion on a USB as a bootable disk. You will first need to install it to an external hard drive/flash drive that is currently not on the Mac Mini. You can install OS X onto an external USB hard drive from another computer that has OS X Snow Leopard or Lion.

NOTE: If you have Mountain Lion installed, because Apple are jackasses, they will not allow you to even RUN the OS X Lion installer on the computer with Mountain Lion because it's an "earlier version." I had a big problem with this and had to use a different computer that had OS X Lion on it.

You then modify one file called "platformsupport.plist" which is in "/System/Library/CoreServices/" (on OS X Lion partition), so that your Mac Mini can run OS X Lion. For some reason, people said to delete platformsupport.plist, but for me, I needed to keep it but add Mac Mini to it.

If you need to keep it, then open the 'PlatformSupport.plist' file with sudo permissions with Nano editor or vi editor (guides say they are more appropriate than textedit) and add the following string:

<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>

If you're curious, "Mac-F4208EC8" is the ID number for the 2006 Mac mini, so you're essentially telling OS X Lion that your 2006 Mac Mini IS compatible with OS X Lion.

Once that's been modified, you can now take that hard drive and plug it into your Mac Mini. Boot the Mac Mini, and it should load. If not, you'll see a "Not Allowed" circular symbol at bootup. If that happens, you will have to boot into the external hard drive through target mode, or (what I did), used an old Snow Leopard install disc***, and was able to use terminal from that to modify the platformsupport.plist on OS X Lion. This shouldn't happen to you as I originally deleted platformsupport.plist.

***You can also use a Tiger installation disk too!

Other things: Mac Mini will boot up and it will run very well with 2.33 GHz, 4 GB RAM (3.3 GB Usable), and a nice fast SSD. Here is an example of a similar build but with 2 GB of RAM. Pretty fast I would say. I recommend either a 128 GB Crucial M4 or 128 GB Samsung 830 Solid State Drive (SSD) which are about $80.00 as of 09/2012.****Of course, you can get smaller or larger as needed.

****If you want to install an SSD, which is highly recommended, don't forget/make sure you enable TRIM support for your hard drive.

Whenever you update OS X Lion to a new version (latest version is 10.7.4 as of 09/18/12), the default Apple platformsupport.plist will be restored so you will need to modify it or delete it again. Before OS X Lion asks the user to restart it in order to finish the update process, you need to modify platformsupport.plist (located in "/System/Library/CoreServices/") to include the extra string
"<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>" (without quotes) or to delete platformsupport.plist. In my scenario, deleting it did not work, but modifying platformsupport.plist did.

If you do this, then there is no need to use Installation Disc or to switch to Target Mode. If you do happen to forget to modify/delete this file before restarting then you will have to modify it again through Installation Disc terminal or through target mode. This happened to me actually, and I used an Install Disc because my computers I don't have firewire cables. The goal will be to modify the platformsupport.plist file so that you readd this line: <string>Mac-F4208EC8</string> to platformsupport.plist. If you are familiar with the terminal, you can boot into it from an installation disc (can be a Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc.), change to the directory that has the platformsupport.plist (/System/Library/CoreServices), and then add that string. If this is too complicated for you then you can try booting the hard drive through target mode, and barring that, if you don't have a firewire cable, you can remove the hard drive from the Mac Mini (which is annoying and the least preferred method), put it in an external USB enclosure, and then hook it up to another Apple computer that can boot from USB and try that. Most of you probably don't have a firewire cable, so the first thing is to remember to modify the platformsupport.plist before rebooting when a new OS X Lion update occurs, and if you forget that then using the terminal from the installation disc.

Miscellaneous

The fact that Apple blatantly disabled our computers from running OS X Lion is evidence of Apple's "planned obsolescence" model which forces users to upgrade every 2-3 years as clearly demonstrated by the latest version of OS X, "Mountain Lion."

Several computers that are more than adequate to handle OS X Mountain Lion (even computers going back only two years ago) haven't been allowed because Apple didn't want to give support for those graphics cards. Apples used to be very upgradable, and now everything is soldered onto the boards so you can't upgrade these newer computers.

I would believe Apple's official reasons for these limitations if it wasn't for the fact that they charge outrageous amounts for components, little things like batteries are no longer upgradable in newer models (i.e. Macbook Pro Retina), and they seemingly drop support every 2-4 years whereas Windows computers have support for machines from even 10 years ago!

Enjoy!

~
Shinso

* Download Links For Firmware Hack.rtf (1.7 KB - downloaded 214 times.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:01:55 AM by Shinso » Logged
Shinso

« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »

Simple Guide On Upgrading A 2006 Mac Mini Firmware To 2007 Mac Mini Firmware In Order To Add Up To 4 GB Of RAM

The Basic Idea

The purpose of this upgrade is to allow your machine to accept more than 2 GB of RAM on your 2006 Mac Mini, and to also be able to run OS X Lion. It is a very nice upgrade because if you put a cheap fast Core 2 Duo processor, max out the RAM to 4 GB, and install an SSD all for about $150.00 (as of 09/12), you'll get a computer that's faster than the late 2009 base model Mac Mini! Here is YouTube video of its performance & this is one with 2 GB of RAM. This Geekbench test with a score of 3060 just with just the T7600 2.33 Upgrade, regular HD (no SSD), and only 2 GB of RAM. With 4 GB of RAM and a SSD, the score is even higher and beats a late 2009 model! In any case, this is a fun DIY project that will give your computers years of life to it.

Note: There should be no risks in doing this as the hardware is essentially the same between the 2006 and 2007 Mac Minis except that the 2007 Mac Mini has a Core 2 Duo Processor whereas the 2006 has a Core Duo Processor. You will need to find a Core 2 Duo Processor (a 2.33 GHz T7600 SL9SD Core 2 Duo is recommended) to do this upgrade. Also, I would strongly recommend reading this guide before doing anything, and also printing it for reference!

1) First, upgrade the CPU to the Core 2 Duo Processor (otherwise your machine cannot accept 4 GB of RAM). This is a good guide on how to do it. At this step, do not have more than 2 GB of RAM installed, as the current firmware thinks 2 GB is all it can handle. If you don't, then your computer won't boot until you remove the excess RAM.

2) Second, upgrade macmini firmware to 2,1.

3) Third, put the new ram 2 X 2 GB in the mini. The macmini 1,1 firmware will not/is unable to boot with 4 GB. So install the RAM last!!!

What You Need Before You Start

A) You will need to upgrade your Core Duo processor to a Core 2 Duo. I recommend the T7600 SL9SD 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor. They're selling on eBay for about $65 as of 09/2012 (they were originally about $500 about 4 years ago!). Keep in mind that this processor is actually more powerful than the late 2009 BASE MODEL Mac Mini's processor which is a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor. This is the trickiest installation as it's kind of a pain in the ass. It's not difficult, but you should read some guides that are floating around on the internet in order to do it without much hassle and watch a youtube video or two. This is a good place to start and also this page. One major tip: Get four "4-40 X 3/4 of an inch" Nylon screws with nuts. You will need them! They may be hard to find, but here is a seller on eBay (name is cclay1) who sells them. Here is another seller as well. The only place that may sell them in your area/locally would be a Fastenal outlet store however keep in mind they don't carry it online and only in store. If you can't find it in these locations, then just search on Google or Amazon, and you'll find them though you may end up getting a lot more than you really need.

Note: 4-40 is an American (inch) standard thread - size #4 w/40 threads per inch, so if you can't find this, the metric equivalent is an M3 x 20mm nylon screw.

B) 2 x 2 GB RAM Sticks. PC2-5300, unbuffered, nonparity, 200-pin, 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM is what you need. Brands that Apple has/tends to use and recommended are: Crucial, Samsung, Nanya, Hynix, Kingston but honestly as long as it meets the above requirements you should be fine. You can go with any brand, but a name brand will probably make you feel better.

I bought 2 x 2 GB Samsung RAM Modules from eBay for a total of $25.00.This is the RAM I bought - Samsung PC2-5300 RAM Model ID: M470T5663EH3-CF7.

C) Snow Leopard installed with all updates applied including EFI firmware updates.

D) About 30 min - 1 hour to install the firmware upgrade.

Steps

0)* You probably already had the EFI firmware update done automatically if you have Snow Leopard and have had all updates applied. To be safe, be sure that you have the latest EFI (which is like a BIOS but for Apple computers) for your Mac Mini. First check to ensure your EFI is the latest here:

For some users, the EFI update never installed because of an issue with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 so, if this applies to you, first download the following file and install it:

*Note: Step 0) will probably not be needed, and odds are you won't have to do it either.

1) You download this file**:

Main Link: Mac Mini 1,1 to 2,1 Upgrade Working As Of 09/18/2012

Alternate Link: Mac Mini 1,1 to 2,1 Upgrade Working As Of 09/18/2012

**Attached to this post is a text document that has links for download locations as well in case the above links expire. If this is no longer up on any of the mirrors, then ask around, PM members on this forum, etc..

Ok, now you put the two files, "EFIUpdaterApp.efi" and "LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd" in "/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates".

You check the permissions (if you're having trouble with this, download/just use the program BatChmod to allow all permissions for the directory "firmware updates" for yourself and all users. Otherwise, if you're savvy with the command line, you know what to do.

2) INPUT THE FOLLOWING CODE INTO TERMINAL!

In Terminal, paste the terminal code below EXACTLY as it is written and make sure there are no extra spaces/weird formatting when copying it:

Terminal Code:

sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

Where it says sudo in the terminal code, I did a sudo to run it as root, but someone else did "sudo su" instead. First try "sudo" and it should work. Press enter. You will get a long string of code, and the very last lines will say:

"Executing "/sbin/umount"
Returned 0"

This is a good sign.

3) Now, you turn off the computer, and UNPLUG IT for 15 SECONDS, THEN REPLUG IT.

Now, and this is what tripped me up before as nobody was super clear on this, you HOLD the power button for a couple of seconds (about 4-5s) until the little white sleep light on the front of the mac mini (near the superdrive slot), starts quickly flickering then let go. Machine will now turn on, and a progress bar will show up. Let it take its time (took me about 7 minutes for it to flash completely).

After the Mac Mini is flashed, you may or will have an odd screen show up and the Mac Mini will probably keep on resetting. Do not worry. You then turn off the Mac Mini by pressing the power button, then turn it back on, and then quickly do a PRAM reset by holding command + option + P + R at the same time. Once it restarts one more time, let go of the buttons, and let the Mac Mini boot to OS X.

4) Finally, to check if it updated, login to your account, go to "About Mac" in your menu bar, click "More Info" and it should now say, "Model Identifier: Macmini2,1" instead of "Model Identifier: Macmini1,1."

5) You can now open your Mac Mini and add up to 4GB of RAM. Congrats!

NOTE: You gain a total of 3.3 GB of useable RAM (use 2 x 2 GB RAM Sticks) though the machine will say you have 4 GB installed. You can add a 2 GB and 1 GB stick, but it won't be as efficient because the system likes to pair equal sized RAM sticks. It's also a good reason to match the same brand of RAM too.

NOTE 2: OS X Lion does NOT install natively from the App Store. You will have to use one of the available workarounds (i.e. download and put on flash drive).  But hey, at least you gained 1.3 GB RAM :-) Also, try upgrading (if haven't done already) your HD to an SSD, and also upgrade to OS X Lion. And OS X Lion runs beautifully on a T7600 SL9SD 2.33 GHz Mac Mini with 4 GB of RAM installed and if you add an SSD it will be even better. Nonetheless, even without the SSD, performance is excellent, and I was able to use the Mac Mini on a 1080i HDTV without a hitch whereas the older Core Duo processor (and even the slower Core 2 Duo processors) have too many hiccups and slowdowns rendering it unusable.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Install OS X Lion

Note: Only OS X Lion 10.7 can work, but not OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, because Apple refused to write video drivers for the Intel GMA video card. Thus, unless somebody ends up making drivers for it, the chances of a stable OS X Mountain Lion modification will be slim to none.

Here is a good thread detailing how to do it.

I installed OS X Lion on an 8 GB USB as a bootable disk. You will first need to install it to an external hard drive/flash drive that is currently not on the Mac Mini. You can install OS X onto an external USB hard drive from another computer that has OS X Snow Leopard or Lion.

NOTE: If you have Mountain Lion installed on your other computer, because Apple are jackasses and slowly turning into the new Microsoft, they will not allow you to even RUN the OS X Lion installer on the computer with Mountain Lion because it's an "earlier version." I had a big problem with this and had to use a different computer that had OS X Lion on it.

You then modify one file called "platformsupport.plist" which is in "/System/Library/CoreServices/" (on OS X Lion partition), so that your Mac Mini can run OS X Lion. For some reason, people said to delete platformsupport.plist, but for me, I needed to keep it but add Mac Mini to it.

If you need to keep it, then open the 'PlatformSupport.plist' file with sudo permissions with vi editor or Nano editor (guides say they are more appropriate than textedit for adding strings) and add the following string:

<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>

If you're curious, "Mac-F4208EC8" is the ID number for the 2006 Mac mini, so you're essentially telling OS X Lion that your 2006 Mac Mini IS compatible with OS X Lion.

Once that's been modified, you can now take that hard drive and plug it into your Mac Mini. Boot the Mac Mini, and it should load. If not, you'll see a "Not Allowed" circular symbol at bootup. If that happens, you will have to boot into the external hard drive through target mode, or (what I did), used an old Snow Leopard install disc***, and was able to use terminal from that to modify the platformsupport.plist on OS X Lion. This shouldn't happen to you as I originally deleted platformsupport.plist.

***You can also use a Tiger installation disk too!

Other things: Mac Mini will boot up and it will run very well with 2.33 GHz, 4 GB RAM (3.3 GB Usable), and a nice fast SSD. Here is an example of a similar build but with 2 GB of RAM. Pretty fast I would say. I recommend either a 128 GB Crucial M4 or 128 GB Samsung 830 Solid State Drive (SSD) which are about $80.00 as of 09/2012.****Of course, you can get smaller or larger as needed.

****If you want to install an SSD, which is highly recommended, don't forget/make sure you enable TRIM support for your hard drive.

Whenever you update OS X Lion to a new version (latest version is 10.7.5 as of 09/21/12), the default Apple platformsupport.plist will be restored so you will need to modify it or delete it again. Before OS X Lion asks the user to restart it in order to finish the update process, you need to modify platformsupport.plist (located in "/System/Library/CoreServices/") to include the extra string
"<string>Mac-F4208EC8</string>" (without quotes) or to delete platformsupport.plist. In my scenario, deleting it did not work, but modifying platformsupport.plist did.

If you do this, then there is no need to use Installation Disc or to switch to Target Mode. However, if you do happen to forget to modify/delete this file before restarting then you will have to modify it again through Installation Disc terminal or through target mode. This happened to me actually, and I used an Install Disc because I don't have firewire cables nor do I know any convenient places to buy them because Apple likes to be a pain in the ass. The goal will be to modify the platformsupport.plist file so that you readd this line: <string>Mac-F4208EC8</string> to platformsupport.plist. If you are familiar with the terminal, you can boot into it from an installation disc (can be a Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, etc.), change to the directory that has the platformsupport.plist (/System/Library/CoreServices), and then add that string. If this is too complicated for you then you can try booting the hard drive through target mode, and barring that, if you don't have a firewire cable, you can remove the hard drive from the Mac Mini (which is annoying and the least preferred method), put it in an external USB enclosure, and then hook it up to another Apple computer that can boot from USB and try that. Most of you probably don't have a firewire cable, so the first thing is to remember to modify the platformsupport.plist before rebooting when a new OS X Lion update occurs, and if you forget that then using the terminal from the installation disc.

Note: What I've personally done is put a copy of the modified PlatformSupport.plist (the one with the added string for 2006 Mac Mini) in my /Macintosh HD/ directory, so I can always paste it into the /System/Library/CoreServices folder in case I ever forget to modify it before installing new update or if anything random ever occurs. If you want to do it this way, make sure you make a copy of your modified PlatformSupport.plist and put it in the /Macintosh HD/ directory, and then follow the directions in the attached document or from this link.

Miscellaneous

The fact that Apple blatantly disabled our computers from running OS X Lion is evidence of Apple's "planned obsolescence" model which forces users to upgrade every 2-3 years as clearly demonstrated by the latest version of OS X, "Mountain Lion."

Several computers that are more than adequate to handle OS X Mountain Lion (even computers going back only two years ago) haven't been allowed because Apple didn't want to give support for those graphics cards. Apples used to be very upgradable, and now everything is soldered onto the boards so you can't upgrade these newer computers.

I would believe Apple's official reasons for these limitations if it wasn't for the fact that they charge outrageous amounts for components, little things like batteries are no longer upgradable in newer models (i.e. Macbook Pro Retina), and they seemingly drop support every 2-4 years whereas Windows computers have support for machines from even 10 years ago!

Enjoy!

~
Shinso

* Download Links For Firmware Hack.rtf (1.7 KB - downloaded 260 times.)
* OS X Update Instructions.pdf (49.43 KB - downloaded 276 times.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:00:25 AM by Shinso » Logged
scram69

« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2012, 05:37:26 PM »

Just wanted to thank all of the contributors to this thread for the info in Shinso's Summary.  I upgraded the CPU in my mini1,1 to a T7200 years ago, but have been frustrated by the firmware RAM limit when running the later more memory intensive OS versions.  Until now - these instructions worked perfectly for me.  Hopefully others will be able to find this info to extend the usefulness of their Minis.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:39:02 PM by scram69 » Logged
Kaitain

« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »

The purpose of this upgrade is to allow your machine to accept more than 2 GB of RAM on your 2006 Mac Mini, and to also be able to run OS X Lion. It is a very nice upgrade because if you put a cheap fast Core 2 Duo processor, max out the RAM to 4 GB, and install an SSD all for about $150.00 (as of 09/12)

...and indeed I had that very nice computer until this afternoon. Then something annoying happened.

I was tinkering around at work, using my Mac there to access my other Macs remotely, including my ramped-up 2006 mini at home. (Changed CPU to C2D, upgraded ram, installed Lion with the platformsupport.plist trick.

And then I decided to experiment with using the remote lock feature accessible through iCloud.

That was the last time I ever saw my Mac Mini working.

When I came home, I thought I'd just have to enter the unlock code and that was that. Well, I entered it, and that wasn't that. No entry sign. Okay, I thought, the lock must have put another platformsupport.plist file in place, just as Lion upgrades do. I tried to firewire in, but actually I couldn't even enter firewire. Discovered that this was because if you have the firmware password lock active, firewire target is disabled. Okay, so I booted in through an old USB drive that had Leopard on it, and turned the firmware password off. Okay, now I can firewire in. But there isn't a new platformsupport.plist file in the usual place, after all.

Okay, so...worst case scenario, I'll just install Lion afresh, change the platformsupport file, and restore from a time machine backup.

That doesn't work either.

Something has hosed my Mini's ability to work with Lion. The remote lock did something that crippled it.

Firmware change of some kind? Whatever the problem is doesn't seem to be on any particular drive/install of Lion.

I'm able to boot into Snow Leopard okay.

My boot rom version is MM21.009A.800
My SMS is 1.3f4

Anyone know what's going on, and how I might be able to fix it?

Many thanks,

K
macster

« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2012, 04:04:38 PM »

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
ryanupp

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »

Hello,

I was excited to find out pushing the ram limit from 2 to 3 gb was as simple as a firmware upgrade, but i am having troubles.

C2D 2.0 ghz installed 8-12 months ago,  running fine since.  also upgraded to a 32GB SSD (machine is a HTPC for plex, hulu, and EyeTV only, so no locally saved docs or files of any kind).  I'm adding this in case the issue might be with the SSD or with the size of my disk (10 gb free).

I am also currently running 2x 1GB chips.  my EFI and SMC firmware are already up to date

Macmini1,1
MM11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.1)
1.3f4 (SMC 1.0)

1 - File containing both files downloaded ok (from media fire.  first link broken)
2 - copied to /system/library/core services/firmware updates without any issues

3 - gave everyone RW access to folder and files

4 - ran the update command in terminal exactly as posted.  "Executing "/sbin/umount" and Returned 0" are showed at the end.
5 - shutdown PC, turn back on while holding power button until LED begins to flash quickly.
6 - I get one long beep at this point, then the usual startup screen flashes extremely quickly a folder with "?" before it continues on booting up from the internal drive.

Any ideas what might be happening?  There is definitely no firmware update happening for me but the command seems to take fine (see attached).

thanks for any ideas anyone might have.

* Untitled.rtf (4.36 KB - downloaded 166 times.)
Chirongreen

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

Hello,

I was excited to find out pushing the ram limit from 2 to 3 gb was as simple as a firmware upgrade, but i am having troubles.

C2D 2.0 ghz installed 8-12 months ago,  running fine since.  also upgraded to a 32GB SSD (machine is a HTPC for plex, hulu, and EyeTV only, so no locally saved docs or files of any kind).  I'm adding this in case the issue might be with the SSD or with the size of my disk (10 gb free).

I am also currently running 2x 1GB chips.  my EFI and SMC firmware are already up to date

Macmini1,1
MM11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.1)
1.3f4 (SMC 1.0)

1 - File containing both files downloaded ok (from media fire.  first link broken)
2 - copied to /system/library/core services/firmware updates without any issues

3 - gave everyone RW access to folder and files

4 - ran the update command in terminal exactly as posted.  "Executing "/sbin/umount" and Returned 0" are showed at the end.
5 - shutdown PC, turn back on while holding power button until LED begins to flash quickly.
6 - I get one long beep at this point, then the usual startup screen flashes extremely quickly a folder with "?" before it continues on booting up from the internal drive.

Any ideas what might be happening?  There is definitely no firmware update happening for me but the command seems to take fine (see attached).

thanks for any ideas anyone might have.

Unfortunately I find myself in an identical boat, apart from the fact that I upgraded the CPU to a 2.33 D2D. Installing the two patch files and using the update command went without a glitch (on a clean 10.6.8 install), but I can not get the update to take - flashing LED, one long beep, but no cursor bar and a normal startup screen instead. Permissions should be OK, and I have tried letting go of the start button at various stages in the process, so far to no avail. Any suggestion would be gratefully received, thanks in advance.
Sebinouse

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »

... 3 - gave everyone RW access to folder and files ...

...Permissions should be OK...

As far as I understand your situation, there is  something wrong with the integrity check of the firmware (permissions and/or  CRC32). The CRC32 check has been handled by modifying the .efi file.
Your MUST be sure that your permissions are OK by using "disk utility" (I don't remember which kind of permissions it must be but "disk utility" will ! and I don't think it's RW access for everybody ... that's sure ! )

Wink
grennite1991

« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »

good evening all i seem to still be in the same place as a few others has anyone found a fix to thsi problem of it not installing the update and going right to boot up.
zirkaiva

« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »

I followed the instructions but I got the same unsuccessful result meaning after booting while keeping the power button pressed and after the LED starts flashing I got long beep and the machine boots straight into the operating system. What is strange on he apple web page for checking the efi version:
 mac mini 2.1 does not appear, but only 1.1 and then 3.1
Sebinouse

« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »

I followed the instructions but I got the same unsuccessful result
Ok ... How did you check the permissions ?

I don't know what you did but Here is what we did at the beginning (which worked):
  • Download  "Archive.zip": http://www.mediafire.com/?lfangrn69rxln3q
  • Place the files in "/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates"(and I mean /System/Library... not User/Bilou/Library...)
  • Check Permissions with "Disk Utility" (and I mean Disk Utility ... not ChmodThing ... )
  • In "Terminal" Copy/Paste this command line :
Code:
  • Switch Off the MacMini
  • Press and keep pressed the Power Button untill you see the front Led flashing rapidly
  • Firmware Update begins, the Macmini reboots and the screen is scrambled
  • Switch Off the MacMini by a long press of the Power Button
  • Reset the PRAM and Reboot ... Thats it

What is strange on he apple web page for checking the efi version:
 mac mini 2.1 does not appear, but only 1.1 and then 3.1
It's not strange at all : if Apple gave us something about MM2,1 this thread would have been useless. The whole point of this was to re-create the file that Apple wanted to keep secret and then flash it ... the flashing was really the simple part ! ... dealing with the dumps and the hex files on the other hand ...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:06:20 PM by Sebinouse » Logged
lucho

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2013, 08:16:41 PM »

Thank you for this valuable information! I think that the 1 GB of RAM is worth the small risk that always exists with any firmware update. It went well for me, and now I'm enjoying 3 GB of RAM. So far, so good...

But these days I tried to boot from known good optical discs and USB flash drives from which I was able to boot with the old firmware, and guess what — the BIOS mode of the new firmware didn't work! For the CDs and DVDs, it did show the grey screen with a tilted dark grey window, but the screen soon turned black and nothing more happened. And in the case of the USB flash drive, it didn't go even that far. I'm not 100% sure that it's the firmware that's the culprit, since my combo DVD drive became too capricious and for example no longer reads double layer DVD-ROM and single-layer DVD-RW discs. But if the optical drive is the culprit, why doesn't the Mac mini boot from the "legacy OS" USB flash drive from which it did boot successfully before the firmware upgrade? Indeed, I also upgraded my CPU from T2300 to T7600 since (just before the firmware upgrade), but it could hardly be the cause, could it?

If anyone has a Windows or Linux CD or USB flash drive handy, please try to boot from them with the new 2,1 firmware. If you can't boot from them either, this would mean that my suspicion is right and there is something in the new firmware that prevents the BIOS compatibility mode from booting a "legacy OS". It must have been introduced in the update preparation process, namely when the original Apple ROM image was modified. Something that could hardly be predicted...

I'd be glad if the problem is somewhere in my Mac and the BIOS compatibility mode of the 2,1 firmware works for others. Thank you for your help in figuring this out.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:20:00 PM by lucho » Logged
Sebinouse

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2013, 06:58:16 AM »

I tried to boot from USB but only MacOSX (when I tried to install 10.7 and 10.8, with chameleon, without chameleon, with refit or without anything ...).
I noticed no problem so far.

Thank you for this report, I will try to reproduce it ...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: