netkas.org forum
April 21, 2014, 10:36:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Mini Firmware Upgrade Utility Needed (help request).  (Read 95322 times)
thingi

« on: May 22, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »

Hi,

I've got a first gen intel Mac Mini (Macmini1,1) that I've upgraded with an ES C2D 2.16 (before you could actually buy C2D's - gotta love engineering sample CPU's :-)

There are two problems that I'd like to solve with a similar hack to the recent Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility.

1. Firstly I want to get around the 2Gb max memory limitation of my machine (to utilise 3Gb out of a 4Gb matched pair).
2. Secondly I want to change the model identifier from 'Mac-F4208EC8' (Macmini1,1) to 'Macmini2,1' (Mac-F4208EAA) so I can install Lion without having to mess with the PlatformSupport.plist files to get the installer to work.

Both machines use the exact same GMA950 chipset, the only difference is the Macmini1,1 used Yonah 32bit CPU's whereas the Macmini2,1 used Merom 64bit CPU's .

My current system profile states:-

Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.3f4

The MacMini2,1 also has the exact same boot ROM & SMC version listed on the Apple site as my machine:-

Mac mini (Early 2006)   Macmini1,1   MM11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.1)   1.3f4 (SMC 1.0)
Mac mini (Late 2006)   Macmini1,1   MM11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.1)   1.3f4 (SMC 1.0)
Mac mini (Mid 2007)   Macmini2,1   MM11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.1)   1.3f4 (SMC 1.0)

So the question is this - is my dream of 3Gb and easy Lion installs pie-in-the-sky or could someone (hint, hint MacEFIRom) knock me up a Mac Mini Firmware updater or give more details on exactly which firmware string is modified by the Mac Pro Firmware Upgrade Utility so I can attempt to knock up my own firmware hack?

Regards

Thingi

Zek

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »

Hello,

I have been looking for the exact same thing for a couple years now but so far no luck.
I am hoping that the release of LION will bring this topic back on the table.

Thanks to update this thread if you find anything helpful.

Cheers,

Nicolas
gibsonic

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »

There's a copy of Macmini1,1 / Macmini2,1 SMC Firmware Update Utility here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UGATY2YK

But I have no idea where you'd find the other firmware update. All the pages are still present on Apple's website, but the download link no longer works.  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:13:02 PM by gibsonic » Logged
gibsonic

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »

Perhaps this will also help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL77

The Firmware Restoration CD v1.7 will revert the Mac mini back to the original MM11_004B_00B firmware it shipped with. Perhaps a download from Apple can then be triggered to get the newer firmware.
WiteWulf

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »

+1 for this request as I'm in exactly the same situation and there appear to be plenty of others, too.
Dambo

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:57:49 AM »

Hi All

I think in order to use the method that MacEFIRom used with the MacPro we would need the MM21.009A.B00 firmware.
This is the firmware that originally came with the macmini2,1.
The problem we have is that it seems that the later firmware updater for macmini1,1 is the same as the one for macmin2,1 so there is no way to fool the firmware updater without a firmware that was exclusively used on the macmini2,1.
I've done a search for MM21.009A.B00 but can't find a copy.
I don't think it's looking good for this one Sad

Dambo
WiteWulf

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:48:43 AM »

Thanks for the input, Dambo. I'll have a search through some firmware restore CDs and see what I can find...
thingi

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »

Interesting stuff... I really hope that a solution happens!

In the meantime I've added a 115gb sandforce ssd to my machine and it is quite simply the best upgrade I could have done.... I also look forward to my mini pcie esata card arriving so I can use my 1tb 2.5" raid enclosure to the full (stuck on fw400 at the mo).

The 'holy grail' would be 3gb ram, a 64bit version of the gma950 kext + chameleon (never tried it on a real mac, so have no idea if it would work) installed on my mini to get around the 32bit efi limitation (which will still be there even with a modded firmware unless someone does something *really* cool ;-)

thingi

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:52:18 AM by thingi » Logged
SmileyDude

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »

Count me in as interested as well -- I have two macmini1,1 models that I've upgraded to 2.0GHz C2Ds.  I had made the assumption that Lion would look at the CPU and not the board, but as we all know by now, that is not the case.

I'm not too familiar with the how the process with firmware updates work on Macs, but is it possible that the firmware could be dumped from a 1,2 model and then re-flashed to a 1,1?
macster

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »

This Macbidouille post may be worth looking into until a more elegant solution is created.

MacEFIRom

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »

I've looked into this before, but the download links appear to be gone or no longer available. If someone can point me to a site that has the download, or if they have the firmware updater files and can share them, I can attempt to create another utility to do this. I don't have the hardware to test on, so I'll have to post the utility for people to try, and there is a chance of bricking the little guy. However, if the hardware is identical, with the only difference being the firmware version, I think that possibility is minimal.
hyram

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »

They've moved things... try this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237
MacEFIRom

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »

Yes, I've already looked there. The problem is that each download for the first 3 Mac Mini models are all the same file, and each pkg installer has the exact same firmware image in it, MM11.0055.B08. To be honest I don't really understand why this is. The only thing my program does is enable a firmware image which wouldn't normally be allowed to flash, to flash. If the issue is that this firmware image isn't allowed to be flashed on the earlier MacMini1,1, then I could write a utility to do that, but the description of the Apple firmware update web page doesn't indicate this.
Zek

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »

This is probably very naive of me, but isn't there a way to request Apple technical support to allow the Mac Mini 2,1 EFI to run on Mac Mini 1,1?

As their hardware is identical, the work is probably limited and it would allow for more users to upgrade their systems to LION legally.

Just a thought,

ZeK
Sebinouse

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 04:22:20 PM »

I spend hours looking on the internet for this firmware and I think we won't find it there ... I found 4 MM11/MM21 Roms :
MM11.004B.00B "Apple Intel firmware restore 1.1"
MM11.0055.02B "Mac mini (Intel) Firmware Update 1.0"
MM11.0055.03B "Apple Mac mini (Intel) Firmware Update 1.0.1"
MM11.0055.B08 "Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.1"

Another suggestion : is it possible to dump a entire firmware from a real mac ?

I've begun googling about this and here is what I found :

• .fd file is a "concatanation" of .efi files, and if we have all the .efi needed we can create a .fd file (Source)
  • EFI extraction is possible (Source)
  • I quote Christoph Pfisterer's ReadMe:
    You can get a firmware image for an Intel Mac either from inside
    Apple's firmware updater packages, or by using the 'dumpfv.efi'
    program from rEFIt (latest Subversion HEAD, included in this
    package). The extension of the image is ".fd".
    (Source)

So what we need is to understand how to use dumpfv.efi & refit, and then see to output ...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:25:26 PM by Sebinouse » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: