netkas.org forum
February 23, 2017, 01:15:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon R290X Mavericks support test  (Read 50136 times)
netkas
Administrator

« on: June 17, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »

Hi guys, help me testing this package.

It allows Hawaii based Radeons to work in OSX 10.9.

R290X should work out of box, R290 - just add your dev-id to AMDRadeonX4000 and AMD8000Controller kexts if needed, i forgot to do it.

Although if you have just any radeon 7xxx RX XXX you still can help testing this as they all use same 3d driver.

I've tested it on 10.9.4 13e16 beta, everything works except OpenGL extensions viewer, it crashes when reads list of supported ogl extensions.

luxmark, gputest etc works.

good luck and report https://cloud.mail.ru/public/6ac5c46174dc/Hawaii_Driver_Mavericks.pkg
turbineseaplane

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »

Does this work with Clover?

I'm coming from only history of using NVIDIA and I'm currently using a Titan Black with Clover to boot.

Have a Sapphire r9 290x here and I just can't seem to get it to boot, but I'm concerned that I don't know the correct boot flags to use/not use once I have these drivers installed.

Any tips?
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »

there is no additional boot flags needed, no graphics enabler or etc, juts let the driver do auto-init
turbineseaplane

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

there is no additional boot flags needed, no graphics enabler or etc, juts let the driver do auto-init

Weird.
Possible my DSDT or SSDT on my EFI partition is messing with the ability to boot the 290x you think?
Randallphoto

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:13:07 PM »

Weird.
Possible my DSDT or SSDT on my EFI partition is messing with the ability to boot the 290x you think?

Not super familiar with Clover, but with chimera and chameleon I had to move the bootloader to the EFI partition to be able to boot with my 290x.
roadking719

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »

My system recognizes the card as a Raedeon 8xxx with 4GB of ram, but when i move windows around, the windows rip and tear similarly how windows XP would do the same if your computer was running slowly.
Any ideas on how to fix?
Nameless One

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:26 AM »

On 10.9.3 with the dev-id for the R9 290 added I have less functionality than the 2D-only with mode changing I get with the drivers from 10.10 as mentioned in the June 3 front page post. It identifies the card correctly but thinks it has 8MB of VRAM and I'm stuck with the (non native) 1920x1200 resolution that clover provides.
netkas
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »

My system recognizes the card as a Raedeon 8xxx with 4GB of ram, but when i move windows around, the windows rip and tear similarly how windows XP would do the same if your computer was running slowly.
Any ideas on how to fix?

Hmmm, seems I really forgot something very important.
nicosalto

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »

Hi,
I tried to install it as well without success.
This my config:
GB h87n-wifi + i7 4790
Asus R9 290 4GB

i added my dev-id (0x67B11002) to the kexts.
It doesn't detect the card. And i got a AMDRadeonX4000 and AMD8000Controller error saying they are not properly installed!

Any idea ?
nicosalto

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 03:30:21 AM »

What is the correct way to edit a kext ? I just use nano, but i guess the error message i get is probably because i edit it the wrong way ?

netkas could you add my devID (0x67B11002) to your file ? Wink

jasonsansone
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »

What is the correct way to edit a kext ? I just use nano, but i guess the error message i get is probably because i edit it the wrong way ?

netkas could you add my devID (0x67B11002) to your file ? Wink

You can't just edit the kext in place. Easiest way is copy the kext to desktop, edit, and reinstall the edited kext with KextBeast.
novakane

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:21:23 PM »

Greetings... I've just given this a test.

My card is this PowerColor R9 290X 4GB GDDR OC(BF4 Edition): http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=488

In case it is relevant, I also have an nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti in the same machine and have left it in for testing purposes.
I will be trying it out with that card removed at some point to see if it makes any difference.

The first thing I noticed is some tearing and general sluggish video performance, however it does indeed work.

The second thing I observed is that the card is appearing as an AMD Radeon HD 8xxx (device ID is 0x67b01002)
It seems to me that particular card should be using the 9xxx driver, so I edited both kext files accordingly which failed miserably and caused the system to crash attempting to load the desktop, so I restarted in safe mode (the nVidia card came in handy for that purpose) and re-installed your original kext files and am back on the 8xxx driver.
PowerColor specifically mentions that this card has the Hawaii chip, which unless I am mistaken is a 9xxx series so I find this all rather strange.

The sluggishness and tearing appear on the nVidia card as well as the AMD card, regardless of wether the AMD card is actually in use (I tested with both screens on the nVidia and nothing connected to the AMD) I presume this is something being introduced into the GUI subsystem by the AMD driver.

My next test will be to remove the nVidia card altogether and put the AMD on the primary PCIe slot to see if it's the combo of nVidia and AMD that is causing the performance issues.

It seems like a good starting point, however the noticeable lag and the tearing while resizing windows is enough to make it unusable at this time.
Hopefully this can be resolved.

edit: I am running 10.9.3
jasonsansone
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »

Greetings... I've just given this a test.

My card is this PowerColor R9 290X 4GB GDDR OC(BF4 Edition): http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=488

In case it is relevant, I also have an nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti in the same machine and have left it in for testing purposes.
I will be trying it out with that card removed at some point to see if it makes any difference.

The first thing I noticed is some tearing and general sluggish video performance, however it does indeed work.

The second thing I observed is that the card is appearing as an AMD Radeon HD 8xxx (device ID is 0x67b01002)
It seems to me that particular card should be using the 9xxx driver, so I edited both kext files accordingly which failed miserably and caused the system to crash attempting to load the desktop, so I restarted in safe mode (the nVidia card came in handy for that purpose) and re-installed your original kext files and am back on the 8xxx driver.
PowerColor specifically mentions that this card has the Hawaii chip, which unless I am mistaken is a 9xxx series so I find this all rather strange.

The sluggishness and tearing appear on the nVidia card as well as the AMD card, regardless of wether the AMD card is actually in use (I tested with both screens on the nVidia and nothing connected to the AMD) I presume this is something being introduced into the GUI subsystem by the AMD driver.

My next test will be to remove the nVidia card altogether and put the AMD on the primary PCIe slot to see if it's the combo of nVidia and AMD that is causing the performance issues.

It seems like a good starting point, however the noticeable lag and the tearing while resizing windows is enough to make it unusable at this time.
Hopefully this can be resolved.

edit: I am running 10.9.3

The R9 2xxx is the successor to the 7xxx series.  There technically was an 8000 series, but it was just a 7xxx rebadge.  Apple and AMD are treating the 290X as an 8xxx chip.  I checked my unedited 10.9.3 kexts and the 290X device id is correctly listed in the AMD8000Controller.kext.  I would restore the 9xxx kext back to the original.
novakane

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:24:13 AM »

The R9 2xxx is the successor to the 7xxx series.  There technically was an 8000 series, but it was just a 7xxx rebadge.  Apple and AMD are treating the 290X as an 8xxx chip.  I checked my unedited 10.9.3 kexts and the 290X device id is correctly listed in the AMD8000Controller.kext.  I would restore the 9xxx kext back to the original.

Yes, as indicated that was what was needed - using the 9xxx kext for this card did not work at all. I can live with it being a naming issue rather than a specific hardware problem. Smiley

I am currently working on a clean install of Mavericks on a spare drive. I tried just replacing the nVidia outright with the AMD card but the already installed Chimera boot loader crashed terribly doing that for some reason. I hope that a clean setup with no Cuda/nVidia might perform correctly, but I'll update this thread either way in the pursuit of helping others with getting these nice cards running.
duraaraa

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »

I can confirm that this patch works with the mobile Saturn XT cards (Bonaire, not Hawaii).  I have a FirePro M6100, and this enables it in Mavericks, at least to a framebuffer extent.  I haven't been able to test 3d, because I've mainly been trying to get it working in DP1 of 10.10.

I do notice though that dual screens cause my system to crash.  Could anyone using this try plugging in two monitors and let me know what happens?

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: