netkas.org forum
May 26, 2022, 03:08:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe solution to Intel/Nvidia Optimus switching, hybrid Vostro 3xxx ACPI calls  (Read 8648 times)
Necrum

« on: March 14, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »

Dear community
Hi my name is Necrum and I'm from Chile.
I'm new on this forum and I hope that my presence here can add (at least) a little grain of sand to this community Smiley

One of the www.kext.com crew members, (AppliArt) told me that here I may find the knowledge and skills to solve a big issue related to hybrid graphic laptops.

and.. sorry about my funny english  Roll Eyes , please tell me if you don't understand where i'm going  with this post, please let me know Wink

OK, enough introduction, let's get to the point.

I'm trying to get nvidia optimus to work on my new-generation Vostro 3700, bios version A10, so far nothing has worked, mainly because I lack of technical and programming skills, but *at least* I think I was able to find a few clues that might be useful.

You may find my DSDT.dsl at the end of this post

The original thread where I placed the info was at tonymacx86 Forum http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8446&start=300

I've tried a few acpi calls from Everest program on windows that I've found intresting:

_SB_.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP._ON_
_SB_.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP._OFF

when i called the following parts of the acpi with just the intel HD card enabled...nothing happens..

but when the Nvidia GT 330M is turned on.... things change...
_ON_ (screen turns off)
_OFF (same as above, weird)

maybe this works along with this parts of the acpi in order to make the switching work:
_SB_.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP.MXMX
_SB_.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP.MXDS
_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.MXMX
_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.MXDS

or maybe I got all this wrong, anyway here's more info about what could be tried in order to make hybrid vostros work.

can you give me a hand on this guys? I don't know how to modify my dsdt or how to change the kernel, etc in order to apply this on OSX. maybe you have some guides..somewhere?

also, please read the original thread from the linux community that helped me to have some hope, in order to understand a few things that may help:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 37#p882737

Specially this part:
modprobe acpi_call
echo "DIS" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
echo "\_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP.MXMX" > /proc/acpi/call
echo "\_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP.MXDS" > /proc/acpi/call
echo "IGD" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
echo "DIS" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
echo "\_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP.MXMX" > /proc/acpi/call
echo "\_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP.MXDS" > /proc/acpi/call

Many thanks in advance

* dsdt.dsl.zip (30.59 KB - downloaded 554 times.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:36:41 AM by Necrum » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: