netkas.org forum
October 17, 2018, 10:29:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: R9 280x flashed with EFI  (Read 224485 times)
MacVick
Not Newbie

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »

Xfx r9 280x working fine here

Can't emphasize enough about MDP causing crashes on I flashed cards

Also IF your dual 6 to 8 has fewer wires on one port 6 pin connector, you must use that side

Rominator... please help with a bit more info or a photo of your cable would be really helpful.
I posted my duel 6s to 8 on page 3 but you did not comment. It has 12 wires leaving the 8pin and each 6 pin connector has 6 wires going to them so there is not one with less wires.
Are you using XFXs cables that shipped with the card? The duel 6s to 8 and the other 6 to 6.

Any extra facts would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:45:23 PM by MacVick » Logged
3mvideo
Not Newbie

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 11:47:42 PM »

MacVick
Not Newbie

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 12:41:02 AM »

I just don't have the right 8 to 6 cable so will wait to here back from macvidcards
He does say his flashed R9 280x works with Mt Lion via his ad on ebay which I had forgotten.

Rominator

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 01:45:11 AM »

I just don't have the right 8 to 6 cable so will wait to here back from macvidcards
He does say his flashed R9 280x works with Mt Lion via his ad on ebay which I had forgotten.

You are worrying too much.

Relax

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
thoomp
Not Newbie

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »

Rominator (and the rest of the gang) - Following up on my MSI 3GB R9-280X.  A few questions here, as I'm still stuck in 10.9.1 for the moment.

1) I need to use both MDP ports, for a dual display setup for FCPX. Would both ports be useable in 10.9.2 if it was flashed?
2) Is the MSI card actually flashable? Just a little clueless as I haven't flashed a card in 5+ years...and I figure there's a master BIOS image that's compatible to this card...

Thanks!
blacksheep

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »

Read the forum thoomp, all is here. Esp, if you need to refresh your knowledge.
Answers for both your questions appear about twice a day Wink
robincharters
Not Newbie

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »

Recently they have been putting XTLs in the 280x, which is probably the reason we can't get our XFX R280x's to boot on the mac.
Correct me if I am wrong.

You're wrong. Both chips do work.

Ok, so my problem is related to power then?
Does anyone else have a Tahiti XTL R280x working in their machine?

What do I need to do in order to get the correct power into the cards.

The machine runs the card in windows perfectly fine the way it is now.

My tower is a 4,1 with 5,1 MB flash - could that be part of the issue at all?

Pictures are welcome

Robin
Rominator

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2014, 12:51:36 AM »

Had a look at the dual 6 to 8 that comes in XFX box.

If you trace the wires, the side that tracks to an "L" shape is side to use for testing.

But if it boots and runs in Windows then it isn't power, the part of rom that halts boot for power sense is part of BIOS.

Once flashed, I don't believe any of these cards will have HDMI.

10.9.1 is last trouble free OS version.

I am going to discuss with Netkas making a sticky at top. We keep getting identical questions over and over and ideally you all could save us a lot of time.

10.9.2 intros the "must be flashed or MDP crashes boot" issue and so far 10.9.3 has even weirder ones related to MDP.

It is vital if people want help with GPUs that they post:

1. which exact card, ideally not just part number but also BIOS number. If you look in first 2K of rom there is frequently a RAM vendor listed like "Hynix" or "Elpida"
2. Need to know which OS. If a beta, we need to know which build.
3. If it has any 8 pins, we need to know how you are connecting. Many dual 6 to 8 adapters will NOT work if only use from one side. The other side frequently will work but isn't a good long term solution. If you use an external power supply, how are you triggering? The PSUs don't have ESP and frequently need a line to go 12v + or pin to get grounded to turn on. Don't make us ask you, best if you take a pic and attach. You may have to use PS or some other image processing app to crunch it below 250K.
4. Absolutely CRUCIAL that you tell us what display and how you are connecting. A Dell u2410 has 4 or 5 ways to connect. So, you need to say "I have a Dell U2410 and I am trying to connect from MDP out of card to VGA in on the Dell using a Startech Z1000 adapter". We need to know this, why make us a ask?
5. AMD cards right now are far more likely to have port issues related to OS, port type, personality used, etc. tell us these things, DONT MAKE US ASK, please.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
MacVick
Not Newbie

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »

Thanks for all the info Rominator, also I apologize for my redundant questions...

I gave it another shot today using the L shape of the of the duel 6 to 8 connector and a 6 to 6 which I had tried before but under 10.9.2,
I booted under 10.9.1 this time but it still chokes at the login area of the boot, I had auto login on.
I was connected via the DVI port to a Acer 22 inch 1080 monitor to the bottom black dvi port.

my cards specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150690

Not asking for a response just posting my test results.
thoomp
Not Newbie

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »

Hi Rominator and Blacksheep (and the rest of the gang online here),

Okay – I went back and spent a few hours studying the posts on the forum, and I think I'm ready to go. However, I want to check back with you guys before proceeding.

Requested Info:

Card: MSI R9-280x 3GB GAMING
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R9_280X_GAMING_3G.html#overview
Mac: Genuine 2009 MacPro 4,1 with the 5,1 firmware upgrade
BIOS #: 015.042.000.003
OS: OSX v10.9.1 (10.9.2 was loop of death with dual 27” Apple Cinema Displays)
Pins: One 6-6 mini PCIe, One 6-6 mini PCIe with the 6-8 pin adapter; connected directly to motherboard. Runs fine unflashed in 10.9.1.
Displays: Two 27” Apple Cinema Displays, connected to both MDP on card.

1) Today, I set up BootCamp on my Mac on a separate drive, running Windows 8.1.  Downloaded and installed GPU-Z to dump the ROM, which was listed as “Tahiti.rom”.  Apparently, it’s the latest version for MSI, so I’m not updating it before adding the EFI.  Also installed ATI_Winflash, for when I’m ready to go.

2) Back on the Mac-side of things, I made sure to install Java and Python.  The flashing folder is at my root directory, and is ready for the script. Apparently, my device id is 6798. 

3) I have also installed HexEdit.  Which file will I edit to change the parameters for it to have it correctly show up in my system preferences? (R9-280x? 7970?) Do I use HexEdit to edit my original ROM?  If so, there was no 79xx string to change, from what I could see.

3) **** Here’s the kicker:  I spent quite a bit of time on the forum to try and find the correct EFI file for the 7970. I have the “7950mac.efi” file, but couldn’t find it’s 7970 counterpart.  The only thing I could find was “MAC7970.ROM”, which I finally found...but I doubt it’s the correct file; I’m guessing I need “7970mac.efi”. (Maybe there could be a sticky somewhere for people to find the correct files?)

4) After running the script, I will go back to Windows and run ATI_Winflash with the new file and will reboot (keeping my fingers crossed).

5) I’m fully aware about removing R17 for PCI 2.0 on the original 7950 and 7970 cards...Does this also apply for the R9-280x?  Attached is a photo of the backside...I’ve drawn a red rectangle around R17...which runs right through R18. If this correct, I’m assuming that using a low-powered soldering iron and touching the surface-mounted resistor back-and-forth should allow for easy extraction, correct?  Definitely want to double-check on this one as this didn’t seem clear in the forums for the R9-280x.

Again, I hope I’ve been diligent in doing my homework but I figure it can’t hurt to “measure twice and cut once” before proceeding.  Given that I’m using my Mac for daily work stuff, I want to make triple-sure things go smoothly before proceeding.

Many thanks to all you guys for all your help...especially netkas, rominator and blacksheep.  Cheers!

* R17.jpeg (54.89 KB, 257x419 - viewed 843 times.)
Rominator

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2014, 11:54:25 PM »

Open the 7970 Mac file in a Hexeditor.

At 65536 you will find the EFI part.

Copy and paste into your R9 280X at same point, overwriting the UEFI, done.

electonic

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 11:56:03 PM »

About the R17:

Looks like your 280x shares this board layout from 7970/7950.

R9 280x rebadged 7970 cards.

* 68476217.jpg (134.37 KB, 474x217 - viewed 792 times.)
thoomp
Not Newbie

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:54 AM »

@rominator - Many thanks. Did the cut-and-paste method in HexEdit and all is well; no script necessary. Now I'm just tempted to go back and make it read R9-280x. Thanks for all your hard work on this forum!

@electonic - Thanks for the photo you posted. Yes, it seemed like this MSI version the same...so I just went ahead and got rid of R17 and it rebooted just fine. (Just wonder where the resistor flew off to...as I thought I had it)

About thirty years ago, I used to do HexEdit type editing on an old Apple IIe...and it's amazing that in 2014 I'm using it once again for something ridiculously more powerful.

Confirmed working as rebooted into OSX v10.9.1 with both MDP screens.
Ran upgrade to OSX 10.9.2 without a hitch.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:13:25 AM by thoomp » Logged
stmp
Not Newbie

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »

@thoomp: Great work man!

If you have a moment I'm sure folks here would love to see any screenshots of benchmarks, and perhaps a screenshot of your System Information PCIe info showing 5.0 GT/s from the R17 resistor removal.

Cheers + thanks again for sharing your experiences.

PS: Anyone know if this ROM would work for the same MSI R9 280X Gaming card running 6GB RAM or would it need to be updated to utilize the additional 3GB of RAM on the card?
thoomp
Not Newbie

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »

Hey stmp - Thanks!  (And again...a huge thanks to the rest of the gang here who were brave enough to tinker around with this in the first place.)  I hope that my posting will help others just as others have given me a hand here.

I ran Heaven, but it looks like the difference with the R17 removal was negligible as expected. An extra 5 FPS (a score bump of 2423 to 2557), as you can see, but I'll take it for 5 minutes with a loupe and a steady hand.

I'm a little uneasy that I lost the R17 resistor for any issues down the road, but it's running great for what I want to do and it hasn't blown up yet. Wink

However, I like that it actually shows up now as a 7970 instead of 7xxx. (If I have time, I may go back in HexEdit and reflash to have it show as R9-280x...but I'm the only one who would ever care about that cosmetic detail.)

I'm just glad that I have a Mac that runs stably in 10.9.2 with two MDP ports, boots with the Mac screen, and renders quickly in FCPX -- as I rely on this for work.  After a horrible downgrade to 10.9.1 with the unflashed card, it's really great that things seem to be resolved.

* 1-AboutSystem.png (95.55 KB, 598x347 - viewed 860 times.)

* 2-SystemProfile_R17.png (96.84 KB, 930x420 - viewed 739 times.)

* 3-PreFlashStock.png (67.53 KB, 512x530 - viewed 679 times.)

* 4-PostFlashMinusR17.png (79.95 KB, 589x645 - viewed 584 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: