netkas.org forum
August 17, 2019, 02:54:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: 7xxx rom creating test.  (Read 832046 times)
Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »

Well, you can stop pry out 5.0 fix out of Rominator, as it's obvious he won't answer, because he doesn't want.

Given the number of "5.0" phrases in his recent posts and the energy he uses to emphasize the superiority of the 5.0 flashed 7970 in the barefeats test, I thought, my question would be a welcome invitation for him to take up position,  what he knows about the 5.0 fix and when/whether he is willing to share this with the community.   Roll Eyes
MacUser2525

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »

Well, you can stop pry out 5.0 fix out of Rominator, as it's obvious he won't answer, because he doesn't want.

Given the number of "5.0" phrases in his recent posts and the energy he uses to emphasize the superiority of the 5.0 flashed 7970 in the barefeats test, I thought, my question would be a welcome invitation for him to take up position,  what he knows about the 5.0 fix and when/whether he is willing to share this with the community.   Roll Eyes

If you seen his reaction when someone posted the 6870 mod details on MR then you would know he is not interested in the fixes becoming public.
Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »

dump bios from your 77xx-79xx card and save it into this folder as cardname.rom

Does this require to boot to FreeDOS and run ATI-Flash or is there an easier method to save the bios on a Mac?
blacksheep

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

is there an easier method to save the bios on a Mac?

Yes, you'll find the tool on this forum.
But DOS isn't that hard Wink
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:18:16 PM by blacksheep » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »

is there an easier method to save the bios on a Mac?

Yes, you'll find the tool on this forum.
But DOS isn't that hard Wink

Netkas' "Romcreator" can with some cards, I haven't tried with 7xxx but someone could.

Failing that, the industrious, intelligent types can figure a way out with ioregistry explorer. Or use DOS/Windows.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:26:09 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
GP-SE

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »

dump bios from your 77xx-79xx card and save it into this folder as cardname.rom

Does this require to boot to FreeDOS and run ATI-Flash or is there an easier method to save the bios on a Mac?

boot to boot camp, or install in a PC and use GPU-Z to dump the bios.
then use ati_winflash to flash in windows
Rominator

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »

If you seen his reaction when someone posted the 6870 mod details on MR then you would know he is not interested in the fixes becoming public.

Lighten up guys, it will be out soon enough. It's not like I can turn everyone's eyes off from a distance.

I'm having a bit of fun, old Fouely-Poo likes to pretend that he is some great hacking authority when in truth he only "discovers" things when he "discovers" one of our cards in his hands. He could not hack his way out of a wet paper sack with both hands.

He wanted to be the magnanimous "giver of knowledge" but has run out of steam. (at least until he makes another "discovery")

Let me have my fun with the little twerp, I guarantee it will be out soon enough. Besides, have a look who actually posted the 7950 Mac rom. (Hint...it wasn't Fouely-Poo)

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »

Let me have my fun with the little twerp, I guarantee it will be out soon enough.

Thanks for clarifying.

Have your fun and sell a few more "5.0" enabled cards on Ebay for those who are in urgent need.

For most of us it is not urgent. And for many, probably me included, it is too much hassle to fiddle with soldering SMD components for the little improvement we see with most current apps/games.

Just good to know you stick to the community idea and in case there will be that killer app in the future, that really needs PCIe 2.0 (or even 3.0) speeds to shine, we'll have the option to unlock it.
Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »

Thanks guys for the help. Actually hardest job was to install bootcamp. Usually prefer Parallels for that stuff, but that won't work as it has no direct access to the GPU.

Tried it on a HIS IceQ. Nice to have the boot screen back. If everything is stable in the long run, my 570 goes into another Mac Pro 1,1. Otherwise it will return to my 4,1/5,1.

A few observations:

1.) As other's I've seen the issue, that native resolution is wrongly detected as 2560 x 1600 and I have to set it to scaled. Interestingly this wasn't the case, before I flashed the card. With the original rom OS X detected the correct resolution. So I assume it is not, as other's suspected, a bug in the ati driver but somewhere in the rom especially in the Efi part.

2.) As with the Sapphire PC card I've had 2 weeks ago shortly, neither the Heaven nor the Valley benchmark allows me to set AA to anything other than none. Otherwise I see only a big green mess of pixels. I wonder how barefeats did his benchmarks with setting to "extreme" (which enables AA) on all these cards.

3.) As with the Sapphire PC card, Luxmarks tells me, the card has 1.5 GB RAM. Likely only a cosmetic issue, as the card scores roughly 50% above my 570.

4.) Again as  with the Sapphire PC card in OpenGL Monitor no GPU related values are displayed. Seems like OpenGL Monitor doesn't detect any OpenGL device. That is a bit annoying, as OpenGL Monitor was my tool of choice to monitor GPU RAM utilization. iStat menus doesn't help either, as it always reports 100% utilization. Are there any other tool on Mac to display these values?

5) In System Profiler PCI-Cards I see two 7950 devices: Monitor-Controller (driver installed) and ATY, HamachiParent (no driver installed). Is this correct?

Would be nice, if other's with orig. 7950 Mac version or flashed 7950 PC version could tell me, whether they see the same effects on topic 2, 3, 4, 5.

BTW. I wanted to donate but I do not speak Russian. Couldn't figure out how to open Paypal from the donate page. Maybe an English version would be helpful.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:28:19 PM by Pete248 » Logged
GP-SE

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »

Thanks guys for the help. Actually hardest job was to install bootcamp. Usually prefer Parallels for that stuff, but that won't work as it has no direct access to the GPU.

Tried it on a HIS IceQ. Nice to have the boot screen back. If everything is stable in the long run, my 570 goes into another Mac Pro 1,1. Otherwise it will return to my 4,1/5,1.

A few observations:

1.) As other's I've seen the issue, that native resolution is wrongly detected as 2560 x 1600 and I have to set it to scaled. Interestingly this wasn't the case, before I flashed the card. With the original rom OS X detected the correct resolution. So I assume it is not, as other's suspected, a bug in the ati driver but somewhere in the rom especially in the Efi part.

2.) As with the Sapphire PC card I've had 2 weeks ago shortly, neither the Heaven nor the Valley benchmark allows me to set AA to anything other than none. Otherwise I see only a big green mess of pixels. I wonder how barefeats did his benchmarks with setting to "extreme" (which enables AA) on all these cards.

3.) As with the Sapphire PC card, Luxmarks tells me, the card has 1.5 GB RAM. Likely only a cosmetic issue, as the card scores roughly 50% above my 570.

4.) Again as  with the Sapphire PC card in OpenGL Monitor no GPU related values are displayed. Seems like OpenGL Monitor doesn't detect any OpenGL device. That is a bit annoying, as OpenGL Monitor was my tool of choice to monitor GPU RAM utilization. iStat menus doesn't help either, as it always reports 100% utilization. Are there any other tool on Mac to display these values?

5) In System Profiler PCI-Cards I see two 7950 devices: Monitor-Controller (driver installed) and ATY, HamachiParent (no driver installed). Is this correct?

Would be nice, if other's with orig. 7950 Mac version or flashed 7950 PC version could tell me, whether they see the same effects on topic 2, 3, 4, 5.

BTW. I wanted to donate but I do not speak Russian. Couldn't figure out how to open Paypal from the donate page. Maybe an English version would be helpful.  Wink

#5 is the same for me, show's two devices.
#1 happens to flashed cards and actual Sapphire Mac 7950's, I thought it was a driver bug since windows has no issue, but if it's in the EFI maybe Sapphire will release a BIOS update?
Rominator

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »

#1 has been going on for YEARS with nearly every card on the planet

It means that the HDMI Audio component of the card doesn't have a driver, since Apple can't be bothered to write and/or enable them

ignore it, or try the hacks used by Hackintosh folk that enable HDMI audio

Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »

It means that the HDMI Audio component of the card doesn't have a driver, since Apple can't be bothered to write and/or enable them

Was it a reply to my post?

Then I don't understand what the wrong resolution bug has to do with HDMI audio?

Did really nobody compare the barefeats Heaven and Valley benchmarks with his own 7950 Mac or PC Huh

If it is true that the 7950 cannot handle antialiasing, for the benchmark this is only an annoyance that I cannot compare the numbers, for real gaming this could be a serious drawback.

So please post your findings.

GP-SE

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »

Was it a reply to my post?

Then I don't understand what the wrong resolution bug has to do with HDMI audio?

Did really nobody compare the barefeats Heaven and Valley benchmarks with his own 7950 Mac or PC Huh

If it is true that the 7950 cannot handle antialiasing, for the benchmark this is only an annoyance that I cannot compare the numbers, for real gaming this could be a serious drawback.

So please post your findings.

I play games with Anti aliasing just fine on the 7950, I however don't have that benchmark.

here is a thread you can check out:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2312966&page=4
Pete248
Not Newbie

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »

I play games with Anti aliasing just fine on the 7950, I however don't have that benchmark.

Would be nice if you could give it a try:

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/
http://unigine.com/products/valley/

Btw. especially the valley bm is nice to watch. ;-)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:07:03 PM by Pete248 » Logged
lewdvig
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »

Did not work for me, followed instructions and flashed using the bios obtained form my card, an XFX DD 7870.

My 7870 now thinks it is a 7950 I get no screens.

I have my GT120 in the box, so I am able to see system profiler. I see two instances of the 7950 in PCI:

AMD Radeon HD 7950:

Name:   ATY,Hamachi
  Type:   Display Controller
  Driver Installed:   Yes
  MSI:   Yes
  Bus:   PCI
  Slot:   Slot-1
  Vendor ID:   0x1002
  Device ID:   0x6818
  Subsystem Vendor ID:   0x1682
  Subsystem ID:   0x3250
  Revision ID:   0x0000
  Link Width:   x16
  Link Speed:   2.5 GT/s

and this:

AMD Radeon HD 7950:

Name:   ATY,HamachiParent
  Type:   ATY,HamachiParent
  Driver Installed:   No
  MSI:   No
  Bus:   PCI
  Vendor ID:   0x1002
  Device ID:   0xaab0
  Subsystem Vendor ID:   0x1682
  Subsystem ID:   0xaab0
  Link Width:   x16
  Link Speed:   2.5 GT/s

In Graphics/Displays I get this:

Chipset Model:   AMD Radeon HD 7950
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   2048 MB
  Vendor:   ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:   0x6818
  ROM Revision:   113-E2080C-101
  EFI Driver Version:   01.00.624

I probably did something stupid. Should I flash the old rom back, or is there an obvious mistake I am missing?

* efi.rom (128 KB - downloaded 433 times.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:30:47 PM by lewdvig » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: