netkas.org forum
October 01, 2020, 12:34:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: H.264 acceleration on a desktop what card can be seen as a 9400m, 320m or gt330M  (Read 10425 times)
terramir
Not Newbie

« on: October 02, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »

okies I would like to buy a cheap desktop card that I could force to be seen as a 320/330M now these chips are based on the gt 216 core which would be equivalent to the gt 220 desktop card, which is a cheapy, but I dun game I do video and video conversion. I gave up on my radeon HD 4550 and right now I have a 7300gt in my computer. such a useless card. Anyway is this technically doable, or could I even use a better card with more cores like a gt218 card and still force it to be recognized as a gt330M so I could use H.264 hardware acceleration during playback. I just want my computer to be able to use the least amount of processor resources during playback, so I can use it to crunch for wcg while I'm watching videos and heck also use the gpu to crunch when I'm not using it.
or is there any hope that the quicktime H264 framework will be expanded to also do HW Acceleration on mac based cards like the gt120, cause then I would just get one of those.
Does anybody have a clue what I could do?
terramir
terramir
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 05:52:53 AM »

I found out that the gt220 uses the same core and the same amount of cores etc, i.e. 48, 16, 4 than the GT330M inside the macbook pro now how can I add an efi string to spoof it so my hack see it gt220 as a gt330M cause that would open up a whole new world for me Smiley
Please if you guys have any ideas I would appreciate it.
terramir
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »

It is possible to change the device id of Nvidia cards a few bytes, but only in last digit typically.

You would need to find a similar card with proper id and then flash keeping softstraps from id you want.

Or you could try to hack the drivers to include your device id.

I am actually on my macbook pro now.

The device id for 9400M is 0863

The device id for 9600GT is 0647
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:11:47 PM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
terramir
Not Newbie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 05:09:53 AM »

hey I found out the gt220 uses the same core and same amount of processors etc than the GT330M so I bought the card however at this time it is recognized as the gt220 no mention of ci etc in the system profiler, but I found a dump of the bios online for the GT330m which is just a bit longer than the bios for my gt220 , since my memory is ddr 2 and in the gt 330M it's ddr3 either 512 or 1gb I dun think it's smart to flash over that rom, anyway I'm running a hack so that would be useless however if someone could help I could probably change the device ID of the GT330M card and reflash my card so it would be detected as the same card so the macOS drivers would kick in might give me a stabler system. Right now I got random crashes because I dun think I have the proper driver loaded because I have No clue what G.E. in chameleon does.
I attached the bios roms, and since the bios is less than 64 kb this card may also be good for people wanting a mac pro with a cheap card. I mean there are ddr3 1gb versions out there it's just I had very little money and picked up this refurnished ddr2 card.  the ddr3 cards are less than 63 bucks plus tax and such so this card is definitely better than a gt120 and cheap so this may help the real mac pro peeps as well, it's not a kick-ass card, however if I can get this to work HD.264 acceleration, which doesn't work on the better cards as of yet is nothing to sneeze at Smiley and if someone knows how to extract the drivers for the MBP it would mean for those with an I3/I5 if they add this card flashed someone might be able to then hack the drivers and get qe/ci to work with the on processor graphics without a hitch. I dun quite remember how it was implemented but this may be a step in the right direction.

terramir

* GT330M_GT220 bios.zip (77.94 KB - downloaded 435 times.)
terramir
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »

I used hex fiend and well I cannot find the pci ID inside either rom which is strange, however the filename of the rom has the pci-id maybe that's how it's read and stored :S let me know is it as simple as changing the filename :S please  take a look maybe you can help me fix this Smiley in my rom it mentions the gt 220 however in the gt330M rom there is no mention of the GT330M if someone can help me fix this I would appriciate it.

terramir
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:36:50 PM by terramir » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:41:03 PM »

look up "little endian" vs "big endian" then know that nvidia's vendor id of 10DE shows up as de10 in roms.

It is a different world and being 1 digit off means no worky. Also, PCs frequently need ROM checksum to be correct or no worky.

Perhaps you should not try anything else if this seems like too much to get.

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: