netkas.org forum
August 01, 2014, 02:41:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43
  Print  
Author Topic: 6950 working NATIVELY in 10.8 !!!  (Read 131671 times)
Rominator

« on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »

No more hacks, tricks or whatnot !!!

10.8 using a 6950 running Netkas EFI

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:04:56 AM by Rominator » Logged

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
MachineShedFred

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:45 AM »

Same here.  Brought home a lab Mini with a 10.8 install on it, put it in target mode, and booted my MacPro4,1 with a Diamond 6950 with the netkas EFI hack.  Boots right up from cold (YES!!), and recognized.  About This Mac and ASP screenshots attached.

Going to test iTunes and Steam to see if MSAA is fixed.  Will edit with results.

EDIT:  
iTunes still causes ATIRadeonX3000 to turn your kernel into a twisted flaming wreck.  Bad times.
WoW looks incredible, and has better performance than the 10.7 drivers.
Portal 2 runs and looks great.
Civilization 5 still has major texture issues, but that's no different from the 10.7 drivers.
TF2 with MSAA enabled does not crash, or I haven't re-enabled it properly.  Win?

More quick impressions:
Folder copying now gives you a mini progress bar in column view, which is interesting.  However, they prevent you from browsing into the folder before it's copy is complete, which is a bit annoying.

Library folder in user profiles is still hidden.  chflags nohidden ~/Library to fix

default address bar behavior in safari is to grey out everything after the domain name unless you click in there.  Kind of annoying if you're trying to read it

Still has support for software RAID striping, if you have one.  Probably does not support installing to software RAID, just like Lion.  May have to do some Carbon Copy Cloner / ASR magic to get around it if you're using software RAID.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:10:08 AM by MachineShedFred » Logged
Rominator

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »

Smooth so far, I have noticed an occasional graphics glitch

Here are extensions

7970 doesn't load kext

Before asking a question, check your "Personal Settings" and be sure that you have "Brain Services" set to "On".
MachineShedFred

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:16:30 AM »

BTW, warm booting back to Lion from Mountain Lion kept the 6950 properly initialized (or whatever) and booted straight in.  No more stopping by Windows 7 in order to use my Mac as a Mac!  Grin
Rominator

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:34:23 AM »

Yes, I am pretty sure that I can confirm that too.

I am able to reboot into 10.7.3 with unmodified drivers in 10.7.3 AS LONG AS I DON'T CONNECT A DISPLAY TO 6950. It appears in System Profiler normally, etc but as soon as I connect a display to it, the display starts to come up, then gets a blue fog over it followed by KP curtain'o'death.

If Master N wants an ioreg from any combo, he only has to ask.

netkas
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »

can you try to use framebuffer drivers from 10.8 in 10.7.3 ?

they are ati6000controller, atisupport, atiframebuffer kexts
etc

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

Oh, that is cool news!
Any chances to use kexts in Lion?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:41:08 AM by etc » Logged

Mac Pro 3.1 8-Core 2.8 GHz/14 Gb/3 Tb + 120Gb SSD/GTX 690
k4roshi

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »

Tried the framebuffer drivers in a 10.7.2 hack -> no kext loaded.
So i reverted to the old patched ones. Something else I should try?
andystubbs

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »

No more hacks, tricks or whatnot !!!

10.8 using a 6950 running Netkas EFI

Interesting - I can't get my 6970 working at all using 10.8 on my Hackintosh. Using the native kexts I just get the usual white screen, using netkas old modified lion kexts I get to desktiop but with no acceleration at all (5 fps in glviewer).
andystubbs

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:38:42 PM »

Done a few more tests/clean installs and its definitely not working on my hackintoshes - white screen with mouse pointer is all you get still Sad
Rominator

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »

can you try to use framebuffer drivers from 10.8 in 10.7.3 ?

they are ati6000controller, atisupport, atiframebuffer kexts

Tried this, same as it ever was, froze on grey screen with Apple logo

Tried then booting that modded 11d50 with a 4870, it didn't care for the mix of kexts either so those 3 don't play nice with the others as is.

Will try a few more things but not looking good so far

Done a few more tests/clean installs and its definitely not working on my hackintoshes - white screen with mouse pointer is all you get still Sad

Well, it's one of 2 things then.

1. I was premature in saying that 6970 worked as well as 6950. Me & the other guy reporting success have Mac Pros and are running 6950s with Netkas EFI. Maybe 6970 is excluded? I don't have a 6970 so I can't verify.

2. Something that EFI inits isn't getting correct treatment via Hack boot loaders. I don't know jickety-squat about hacks so someone else will have to go down that road.

It certainly is very odd that the 6950s are working just fine for us and Andy, the Master Modder of 6970s is still stuck. A cruel irony as you have put more time into 6970 testing then anyone else I know. At least Bozo and Clarabell over at Tony are going to have a hard time "owning" this discovery if it can't get up and running on a Hack.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:49:36 PM by Rominator » Logged

sfjuocekr

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:53:25 PM »

ETA 12 mins on 10.8 for me, but in 10.7 I just can't get it to work. During the setup it works fine, it has the same "dual screen" issue as after the setup, but this is easily fixed by replugging the monitor and you can install. But after install it just stays the same grey or screen with mouse cursor Sad

/pray 10.8 drivers will get this 6950 to work!
Rominator

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 02:41:27 AM »

ETA 12 mins on 10.8 for me, but in 10.7 I just can't get it to work. During the setup it works fine, it has the same "dual screen" issue as after the setup, but this is easily fixed by replugging the monitor and you can install. But after install it just stays the same grey or screen with mouse cursor Sad

/pray 10.8 drivers will get this 6950 to work!

the suspense is killing me.............

andystubbs

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »

Seeing as im up early one more test coming up.. lol

Nope it's still showing me no love Sad

As you say it must be either the 6970 not working or something that chameleon isn't doing right.

Ive compiled several versions of chameleon with and without 6970 framebuffer support (modified to boot mountain lion of course) without success and also tried aty_init - all results are the same - the classic 1080p white screen with a mouse pointer Sad

On the plus side I have built a nice little bootable usb Mountain Lion installer and it works fine on my other hack using a pair of 6870's lol
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:36:55 AM by andystubbs » Logged
andystubbs

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »

Same here.  Brought home a lab Mini with a 10.8 install on it, put it in target mode, and booted my MacPro4,1 with a Diamond 6950 with the netkas EFI hack.  Boots right up from cold (YES!!), and recognized.  About This Mac and ASP screenshots attached.

Going to test iTunes and Steam to see if MSAA is fixed.  Will edit with results.

EDIT:  
iTunes still causes ATIRadeonX3000 to turn your kernel into a twisted flaming wreck.  Bad times.
WoW looks incredible, and has better performance than the 10.7 drivers.
Portal 2 runs and looks great.
Civilization 5 still has major texture issues, but that's no different from the 10.7 drivers.
TF2 with MSAA enabled does not crash, or I haven't re-enabled it properly.  Win?

More quick impressions:
Folder copying now gives you a mini progress bar in column view, which is interesting.  However, they prevent you from browsing into the folder before it's copy is complete, which is a bit annoying.

Library folder in user profiles is still hidden.  chflags nohidden ~/Library to fix

default address bar behavior in safari is to grey out everything after the domain name unless you click in there.  Kind of annoying if you're trying to read it

Still has support for software RAID striping, if you have one.  Probably does not support installing to software RAID, just like Lion.  May have to do some Carbon Copy Cloner / ASR magic to get around it if you're using software RAID.

Have you spotted the funny copy/paste bug yet? Copy a load of files and it always says '2 files selected' lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43
  Print  

Jump to: