netkas.org forum
November 16, 2018, 03:43:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 990881 times)
stefx
Not Newbie

« Reply #780 on: June 10, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »

So do you guys think our old mac pro will work with 10.9

2006 MacPro1,1 (w/2,1 EFI firmware) - 2x 2,66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Clovertown" X5365 CPUs - SAPPHIRE HD 5770 - Mac OS X w/64-bit kernel
brunosky
Not Newbie

« Reply #781 on: June 11, 2013, 03:45:44 AM »

So do you guys think our old mac pro will work with 10.9
I sincerely hope so, especially now that, after 3 months of trying, the sleep function of mine is finally working properly.  Grin
The new Mac Pro looks beautiful and very powerful, but our Mac Pro is still really good.
I've read this interesting article about the possible limited upgradability of the new Mac Pro, in consequence of its radical new design:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57588607-263/how-upgradable-is-the-new-mac-pro/

MacPro 1,1 - 2006
Processor 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 16 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB
Software OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)
brunosky
Not Newbie

« Reply #782 on: June 11, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »

All Macs capable of running OS X Mountain Lion likely compatible with OS X 10.9 Mavericks:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/macs-capable-of-running-os-x-mountain-lion-likely-compatible-with-os-x-109-mavericks

MacPro 1,1 - 2006
orsodimare
Not Newbie

« Reply #783 on: June 12, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »

Hi fbriatto2,
on my MP the trick of the geforce kext doesn't allow anymore to boot with the 7300 in slot 1 neither in 10.8.3 nor in 10.8.4
It's the same for you?
Thanks a lot.

Same for me. 10.8.2 works nicely. I combined it with the latest Chameleon update.
Just a little hassle before I realised that the update delivered a new geforce kext (in Sys/lib/ext).
After removing it, Portal, Aperture and Audio are OK. The only exception is dictation.
Dictation worked randomly in 10.8.1 but currently not any more.

armdn

« Reply #784 on: June 14, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »

Already tested 10.9 Mavericks with Chameleon 2242 on my Mac Pro 2,1. All works good.
blacksheep

« Reply #785 on: June 15, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »

Works with Chameleon 2247 as well.
fbriatto2
Not Newbie

« Reply #786 on: June 16, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »

Hello

Actually it still works well, but in addition to removing the system extension
GeForce.kext starting with 10.8.3 if I remember well I had also to remove
NVDAStartup.

My config has the following installed :

AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series :

Nom:   ATY,Duckweed
  Type:   Contrôleur du moniteur
  Gestionnaire installé:   Oui
  MSI:   Oui
  Bus:   PCI
  Logement:   Slot-1
  Identifiant du fournisseur:   0x1002
  Identifiant du périphérique:   0x6738
  Identifiant du fournisseur du sous-système:   0x1458
  Identifiant du sous-système:   0x21fb
  Identifiant de révision:   0x0000
  Largeur du câble:   x16
  Vitesse de la liaison:   2.5 GT/s

Apple GeForce 7300GT :

Nom:   NVDA,Display-B
  Type:   Contrôleur du moniteur
  MSI:   Non
  Logement:   Slot-4
  Identifiant du fournisseur:   0x10de
  Identifiant du périphérique:   0x0393
  Identifiant du fournisseur du sous-système:   0x0000
  Identifiant du sous-système:   0x0400
  Révision de la ROM:    5.73.22.29.A1
  Identifiant de révision:   0x00a1
  Largeur du câble:   x8

CalDigit USB3 Adapter :

Nom:   pci1033,194
  MSI:   Non
  Logement:   Slot-3
  Identifiant du fournisseur:   0x1033
  Identifiant du périphérique:   0x0194
  Identifiant du fournisseur du sous-système:   0x2188
  Identifiant du sous-système:   0x0194
  Identifiant de révision:   0x0003
  Largeur du câble:   x1

Hope this helps.
FB

Hi fbriatto2,
on my MP the trick of the geforce kext doesn't allow anymore to boot with the 7300 in slot 1 neither in 10.8.3 nor in 10.8.4
It's the same for you?
Thanks a lot.

Same for me. 10.8.2 works nicely. I combined it with the latest Chameleon update.
Just a little hassle before I realised that the update delivered a new geforce kext (in Sys/lib/ext).
After removing it, Portal, Aperture and Audio are OK. The only exception is dictation.

Graeme43
Not Newbie

« Reply #787 on: June 16, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »

When I try to sleep my Mac all that happens is the screens turn off and internet connetion is lost but restored when i click mouse and displays come back on

Mac Pro 1,1  4x2.66
10GB FB-DIMM
Chameleon 2446
Mac OS X 10.8.4
orsodimare
Not Newbie

« Reply #788 on: June 19, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »

GREAT!! It works for me too....
Thanks a lot.
OdM

Hello

Actually it still works well, but in addition to removing the system extension
GeForce.kext starting with 10.8.3 if I remember well I had also to remove
NVDAStartup.

Hope this helps.
FB

Hi fbriatto2,
It's the same for you?
Thanks a lot.

brunosky
Not Newbie

« Reply #789 on: July 04, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »

I'm running Mavericks DP2 with no problems, except for the freezing of the system when I connect a USB device after awakening from sleep.
 Angry
This is the same problem I had with Mountain Lion, that I solved with a clean reinstall of the system.
But with Mavericks the problem seems to be more general: in the Apple developers forum there are some posts of users (I presume they are not using Chameleon) that after putting the Mac to sleep have no choice but to restart it to get it back to life:
https://devforums.apple.com/message/832898#832898

Maybe we have only to wait for a fix.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:00:28 AM by brunosky » Logged

MacPro 1,1 - 2006
karamelos

« Reply #790 on: July 10, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »

Dear All

I have a macbookpro2,2 and thus the efi32 limitation i can only install 3GB RAM. Now with this method above of 64bit EFI is it possible my mac to see 6GB Of ram ? if i put 2 SODIMM of 4+2GB modules ? or my mac will still operate at 3.2GB of RAM ?

thank you.
karamelos

« Reply #791 on: July 12, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »

Dear All

I have a macbookpro2,2 and thus the efi32 limitation i can only install 3GB RAM. Now with this method above of 64bit EFI is it possible my mac to see 6GB Of ram ? if i put 2 SODIMM of 4+2GB modules ? or my mac will still operate at 3.2GB of RAM ?

thank you.

I'm a big Mac Pro fan, and I own both a 2006 and 2010 Mac Pro. After writing the firmware tools for these systems, I started to feel like the 2006 Mac Pro didn't get much of a boost from the 2007 firmware upgrade, unlike the 2009 upgrade, which unlocked a lot of potential. I'm also a big hackintosh fan, and I've built numerous platforms going back to 2006, when it all began. I started doing some research on booting the 64 bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro. As you probably know, these Macs have a 32 bit EFI implementation, so the Mac OS can only boot the 32 bit kernel. This is of course an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as the Xeon CPUs in all the Mac Pros are certainly 64 bit capable. There's been some posts on this forum, as well as some earlier posts by netkas on the subject, about using the Chameleon bootloader to load the OS, since in theory, this should be a pretty darn compatible hackintosh! I attempted to configure the system to boot in this manner, using all of the information available in these posts, but all of the information and suggestions available are close, but none of them get everything right. I did successfully accomplish this, and I can say that it works very well, with the only thing not recognized and working is the built-in audio. This can probably be fixed with some additional work, and maybe someone else can suggest some settings to accomplish this, but right now, with this guide, you can boot the 2007 Mac Pro (of course my 2006 has been upgraded to 2007) in 64 bit kernel mode, and the system works 100%, with sleep, shutdown, networking, CPU identification working properly. If you are using the original nVidia 7300GT, you will have to use a more modern graphics card that the Chameleon bootloader can understand. Also, since this is booting like a hackintosh, you don't have to use a flashed card, or actual Apple card (although you can if you want) just any PC card that is currently working with the modern bootloaders, which is quite nice.

It's actually pretty easy once you know what to do and how to configure everything. In essence you will be booting the Mac Pro in what's called "Legacy Mode" which is Apple's way of saying a normal PC BIOS environment, not the EFI32 environment. One of the things I struggled with is that Apple's EFI implementation will not boot any sort of USB or Firewire storage in "Legacy Mode", so this has to be done on an internal hard drive. The Chameleon boot partition can be on a separate drive in the system or on an additional partition. The separate drive has the benefit of not having to touch the Mac OS partition at all, so it is very clean, but requires using a drive sled spot or using an additional drive in the optical bay area. In either case, the system can be booted the original way via the EFI32 mode, or the chameleon way for 64 bit kernel, so it's a very flexible solution.

Here is the guide:

If you are using a single drive, partition the drive with 2 partitions, both HFS+, using the MBR option. Name the 1st partition Boot, and make it 1GB in size. The 2nd partition will hold your normal Mac OS installation.

If you are using a separate drive, partition using MBR, choose HFS+, and name it Boot.

Install the older Chameleon bootloader, the filename is Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg, you can easily find it on the web. Choose the Boot partition, and deselect all the options except the bootloader.

To delete the original boot file, type this command, via the Terminal:

rm /Volumes/Boot/boot

You can use any of the modern Chameleon bootloader files, you will only need the boot file. You can find installer packages all over the Internet for this, so don't ask here. If it's already in an installer package, you can use Pacifist to extract it. Copy this file to the Boot volume, at the root. I've included the one I used in my testing, so you can use this one as well.

Copy the attached smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist to Boot/Extra, and if you have any themes you want to use copy these to the Boot/Extra folder as well. If you don't know how the Chameleon bootloader works, or about themes, or anything else related to the hackintosh, don't ask here, there are plenty of forums on the Internet for that.

If you are using a single drive, use this in the org.chamleeon.Boot.plist file (this is in the supplied file):

<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(0,2)</string>

If you are using a separate drive, use this in the org.chamleeon.Boot.plist file:

<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(1,2)</string>

The actual serial number can't be extracted from the system, so you can put your serial number in by editing this in the smbios.plist file:

<key>SMserial</key>
        <string>G666666PUPZ</string>

In order to boot the system this way, you have to bless the new Boot partition in a special way, via the Terminal:

sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Boot --file /Volumes/Boot/boot --setBoot --legacy

If you want to return to the normal EFI32 boot, use the System Preferences>Startup Volume. To boot the 64 bit kernel again, issue the above terminal command again.

In my testing I haven't run into any issues other than the sound, and benchmarking is right where it should be at for a 64 bit kernel. I hope you enjoy the benefits of extending the value of your 2006 or 2007 Mac Pro, or being able to change your system back and forth from the 32 to 64 bit kernel for development purposes.
blacksheep

« Reply #792 on: July 12, 2013, 08:46:06 PM »

Dear All

thank you.

No need to post twice, better to do some googling instead. If you'd do it, you'd discover that limitation is the chipset itself, not the EFI.

Cheers
karamelos

« Reply #793 on: July 13, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »

I wasn't able to find anything with Google , but since it's a chipset limitation i search it and then i got my answer

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/faq/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-3-gb-memory-limitation-details.html

Thanx anyway
brunosky
Not Newbie

« Reply #794 on: July 15, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »

Does someone know if the last DP (developer preview) of a Mac OS X operating system, like Mavericks, will be exactly identical to the final release?
Now, with the latest updates, also the sleep function is working fine, but maybe it's better not to cry victory too soon...

MacPro 1,1 - 2006
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: