netkas.org forum
November 16, 2018, 03:42:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro  (Read 990880 times)
armdn

« Reply #675 on: December 23, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »

I can't boot in 32-bit anymore, even when I go to preferences and choose the Mac disk in "startup disk". Any suggestions, aside from deleting the chameleon partition (since I would like to switch back and forth)?
UPDATE HALP!!! I renamed the chameleon "boot" file to "boot fake" so that it would stop forcing me to boot with it, and now my computer won't boot. I get "boot1: error"

Rename it back to "boot". If you want to boot back in 32-bit mode or EFI mode - just reset PRAM with CMD+Opt+P+R key combination during startup.
paulrbeers

« Reply #676 on: December 26, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »

I'm hoping someone can help me with my problem, I followed the instructions on jabbawok.net (which is just a more written out set of procedures of this thread if I am not mistaken) and all is working perfectly with the exception of Messages/iMessage.   I'm getting the same issue as the guys over a TonyMacX86:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/83263-imessage-wont-work.html

Anyone else having problems with iMessage/Messages on their 1,1 (upgraded to 2,1 in my case) running Mt. Lion?   Can you log in and out without issues?   This may have been previously discussed in this thread, but we are now at page 45!

Mac Pro 1,1 (firmware upgraded to 2,1)
GPUs:  Nvidia GTS 450 and Nvidia GT440
16GB of RAM
240GB SSD boot drive

I saw on Jabbawok that one person stated he had to re-do the install which is fine I can do that, but I don't want to do that if I am going to run into the same problem (looking for confirmation that iMessage service still works on 1,1's upgraded to Mt. Lion).  Truthfully, this was half the reason I upgraded to Mt Lion!
HaraldSt

« Reply #677 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »

I can't boot in 32-bit anymore, even when I go to preferences and choose the Mac disk in "startup disk". Any suggestions, aside from deleting the chameleon partition (since I would like to switch back and forth)?
UPDATE HALP!!! I renamed the chameleon "boot" file to "boot fake" so that it would stop forcing me to boot with it, and now my computer won't boot. I get "boot1: error"
You might have to do a PRAM reset several times before it holds. Than use OPTION to pick the startup desk.
vwpieces

« Reply #678 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:16 AM »

Thanks guys. especially MacEFIRom, Netkas & electropura718. Electropura718, a special thanks for sharing you files.

Mac newborn here, just over 2 weeks. Have the 2006 now 2.1 & now the boot loader to 64bit kernel. This one took me a while, couple days of reading & an afternoon. Still clueless about OS X but somehow I got it done. Yeah, this should be my second post  Grin

My main goal here was to get win7 x64 installed on this thing, preferably on SSD if its possible. Already have win7 x86 bootcamp but the performance is bad on one SATA HDD. The HTPC win7 x64 2.66 Q8400 core 2 Quad 8GB ddr2 667 & SSD kicks the pants off this thing.  In theory they should both be equal.

Geekbench
HTPC 8348
MP 2.1 6238 which is actually high for the 5150's
Sapphire 4870 1GB, 16GB Ram
x5355 should be here soon & SSD is next...

got 3 of these MP 1.1 for free from work, guess I'll keep this one, get the other 2 operational & sell.

Thanks again, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I Need a friggin Beer after that.
Nick

edit: was in sleep mode for an hour, woke up w/ the old Logitech BT mouse (not mac) just fine. ODD now on SATA ejects from KB but I haven't burned with it yet. OS X 10.7.5 WOO-Hoo.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:22:13 PM by vwpieces » Logged
HaraldSt

« Reply #679 on: January 04, 2013, 02:34:18 AM »

...My main goal here was to get win7 x64 installed on this thing, preferably on SSD if its possible. Already have win7 x86 bootcamp but the performance is bad on one SATA HDD. The HTPC win7 x64 2.66 Q8400 core 2 Quad 8GB ddr2 667 & SSD kicks the pants off this thing.  In theory they should both be equal. ...
edit: was in sleep mode for an hour, woke up w/ the old Logitech BT mouse (not mac) just fine. ODD now on SATA ejects from KB but I haven't burned with it yet. OS X 10.7.5 WOO-Hoo.
To make this happen properly, the controller has to be set to AHCI mode in legacy mode. Chameleon will not work with it. However, there is info on the net using AHCI Enabler by Chad Johnson. It is not compatible with Chameleon, so the OS has to be 32bit Lion.
- Run 32 Bit Lion
- Use Boot Camp to install Windows 7
- Get everything configured to work properly
- Boot into Windows, and do the registry change as described in the docs
- Shut down, and boot Lion
- Using AHCI enabler, back up the MBR, and then patch it.
Boot into Windows or Mac. You will now be in AHCI mode. You will also see all SATA ports.
Some things like the BootCamp Control panel will not work correctly, when they look at the MBR, you might need to use the Option Key to get back to Lion on restart.

I have tried it, and it works. But I am mainly in ML, and the speed is ok otherwise.

More here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/126089-howto-boot-macs-with-intel-chipset-in-ahci-win7-vista-xp-linux/page__st__200

-- Harald
vwpieces

« Reply #680 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:18 AM »

Thhank you Harald,
I am still looking for solutions to the ODD_SATA ports in Windows but I am also on the same parallel as your link but slightly different & no bootcamp.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760482

Also the main issue I have had & took me days to figure out on my own was that the Win7 install DVD I have for x64 is an expanded type with all versions available from installation. & No that type inst DVD will not work in 32-bit EFI machines. My link confirms it att he bottom of section 2. At one point of my misery I did find a post about reconfig of the ISO in ImgBurn. There is a link to a different  post & it designates a setting change for x86 or x64 where the tutorial I used didn't specify & had the X86 setting, I was converting my X64 ISO.  Angry

In the end the chameleon did not fix what I needed. It was a good learning experience. All along I have been close, but no cigar.
I did finally get my install DVD to run & have Win7 X64 on it's own HDD without bootcamp. It should not have worked but some how it did. haven't given up yet, but pretty soon my ISP is going to send me hate mail for passing the monthly bandwidth limit, installing too many windows updeates too many times.

Thanks again for the link & I will read it a few times & try to understand before making the regedits & MBR fixes.

& another note; the X5355 CPUs arrived today. Installed & ran a couple Geekbench scores. It did OK.....
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1485836
I think 12422 is Awesome. highest score I have seen for Xeon X5355.
Nick
HaraldSt

« Reply #681 on: January 08, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

Starting a few days ago I lost the ability to log into iMessage. The process fails after authentication, when the system is initializing and exchanging credentials. Based on some other discussions, I suspect Apple tightened the system eligibility requirements including serial number.
I am using the serial number of my Mac Pro, but it might have lost eligibility, since the 2,1 are not supported by ML.
Does anybody know, where I could find serial numbers for a late model Mac Pro?
chromafile

« Reply #682 on: January 08, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »

Starting a few days ago I lost the ability to log into iMessage. The process fails after authentication, when the system is initializing and exchanging credentials. Based on some other discussions, I suspect Apple tightened the system eligibility requirements including serial number.
I am using the serial number of my Mac Pro, but it might have lost eligibility, since the 2,1 are not supported by ML.

The real serial numbers won't help you. You really need a real Mac with ML to use iMessage right now.
http://bit.ly/13e8YeI
nullbreached
Not Newbie

« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »

You might want to follow this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/84047-imessage-wont-work-21.html

I'm not sure alternative serial numbers are working for anyone. I am in the same situation as yourself.

HaraldSt

« Reply #684 on: January 08, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »

I'm not sure alternative serial numbers are working for anyone. I am in the same situation as yourself.
I think, you are right. Apple's subtle way of discouragement. This was working fine for many months. It's a server side change, me thinks...
chromafile

« Reply #685 on: January 09, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »

I think, you are right. Apple's subtle way of discouragement. This was working fine for many months. It's a server side change, me thinks...

Seems like it's working if you use Clover EFI Bootloader.
http://bit.ly/13iJVGl
HaraldSt

« Reply #686 on: January 09, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »

Does the Clover loader support 12GB RAM? Most of the previous solutions crashed above 8GB.
HaraldSt

« Reply #687 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

Quote from: nullbreached link=topic=1123.msg18461#msg18461 date=1357661853
Has anybody seen descriptions of how to use Clover on a Mac Pro?
chromafile

« Reply #688 on: January 11, 2013, 01:44:36 AM »

Does the Clover loader support 12GB RAM? Most of the previous solutions crashed above 8GB.

No idea 'cause I haven't tried Clover yet.
But you seem to confuse the patched boot.efi and Clover EFI bootloader.
HaraldSt

« Reply #689 on: January 11, 2013, 03:02:54 AM »

No idea 'cause I haven't tried Clover yet.
But you seem to confuse the patched boot.efi and Clover EFI bootloader.
Doesn't Clover do an EFI boot?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: