netkas.org forum
November 14, 2018, 05:17:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Radeon Port Mapping  (Read 227520 times)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »

Right, I'm sorry, forgot that the reference 5770 only shows boot screen on one of the DVIs.
Your Asus card has only the non-functional one, so boot screen only through VGA, sorry.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2015, 11:37:36 AM »

Ok, the boot screen on VGA would be just fine, as long as the monitor keeps on working once OS is loaded. But now after the boot the VGA switches off ("no signal" on the display), at the same time the DVI starts displaying the desktop. From then on, only DVI works: no VGA, no HDMI.

Sorry to bother you, Florian. I read somewhere that Asus cards could be a pain in the a**  Angry But I thought that with your invaluable help we could sort it out.

EDIT: I just connected the VGA monitor to the DVI port, using the Apple adapter: everything worked, including the boot screen.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:31:09 AM by j-man » Logged
Fl0r!an

« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2015, 09:30:11 PM »

Right, I read over the VGA issue. Does it work if the card is unflashed? I guess the problem is that OS X tries to initialize that port as DVI-I port (combined digital & analog), fails doing so and then disables it. I'll have a look if there's a different, better matching framebuffer.

Short update on other things: I had the chance to take a look at a FirePro W7000 (dev id is in the drivers, so it works fine unflashed). With its 4DPs it would be a nice card for people who just want to drive lots of 4K displays. Sadly the port mapping is very different from 7950 EFI: From my current knowledge I won't be able to do better than enable boot screens on passive connections, so I didn't bother investigating it further.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2015, 01:17:42 AM »

Right, I read over the VGA issue. Does it work if the card is unflashed?
I just flashed the old PC ROM back and rebooted with three monitors connected. Please note that, while loading DOS, VGA was on... after the boot it switched off and DVI kicked in. With the PC firmware there's no boot screen of course, but HDMI and DVI are working, while VGA is off.
I guess the problem is that OS X tries to initialize that port as DVI-I port (combined digital & analog), fails doing so and then disables it. I'll have a look if there's a different, better matching framebuffer.
Thanks a lot Florian, but don't waste much time: I better get rid of that Asus card. There's no point in getting a 3-port card if only two are working, in the best possible scenario. As you wrote, there are little chances to get HDMI working under OS X: the previous owner told me he was able to use all ports on his PC, so it's better to give it away. Unless you can do your magic, of course...
By the way, there's nothing wrong selling the card through eBay if there's no Mac firmware on it, correct?  Wink
I'll need to find other video cards for some fellow Mac Pro 1,1 users. After a full success flashing the Sapphire 5770 and a failure with the Asus EAH-5770 CuCore, I'll look for a 5870: I read it's a good match for old Mac Pros. Anybody could report other boards are working as well on 1,1?
Thanks in advance, guys: your work is priceless.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »

If the 1,1 has been upgraded to a more recent OS (10.8.3+), flashable HD 7xxx/R9 will also work.
There are no 32bit drivers for these cards though, thus the requirement of Mountain Lion or above.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »

Yes, my 1,1 runs Yosemite (EFI replacement method). It's a pity those boards are quite expensive, I'd be willing to try.

Fl0r!an

« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »

A HD 7870 with reference port layout should be available for less than $100. Gives bootscreen on DVI as well as passive DisplayPort adapters, OS X on all ports...  Smiley
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »

Thanks for the hint, Florian. I've been looking for it but didn't find a good deal yet... Here in Italy they are definitely high priced, over 100 euros.
5770s are the best deals I found so far: I'll keep searching anyway, I need 4 or 5 cards to flash.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #203 on: November 01, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »

Hello guys. I just got an ATI 6870: it works on my MP1,1 Yosemite under the "ATI Radeon HD NI40" disguised identity  Wink No boot screen of course, but both DVI displays are working.
I extracted the ROM file (BTW, it was the first time I saw DOS appear on both screens...) and tried to paste Florian's EFI, but I got the dreaded line "dd: bs must be between 1 and 9223372036854775807".
I made a second try with 6870.efi.rom attached to Jeanlain's original post, with the same results.

Then I read on Jeanlain's post: "Notice: the 6870/6850 ROMs are designed for 64-bit EFI Mac Pros (e.g. 2008+). Work in progress (by Netkas), so be warned".
That means I can't flash the 6870 with my EFI32 Mac Pro 1,1? Or I'm just confusing things up?
Attached here is the 6870 ROM file.

* PCROM.ROM (128 KB - downloaded 200 times.)
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #204 on: November 01, 2015, 09:06:38 PM »

UPDATE: I applied the trick Florian suggested in reply #193
The calculated size is negative, try
Code:
size=$((-$blocknum * 512))
The modified script worked, as well as the oprom check. I flashed the board, but while rebooting in Yosemite I didn't see the Apple logo: the board was then identified as "AMD Radeon HD 6xxx".
I restarted with SL, again without boot screen. The board was identified as "ATI Radeon HD NI40", as it was before flashing.
Another weird thing: when I connect my HDMI Samsung tv, the second DVI display goes black. It comes back when I disconnect HDMI...
Attached here is the modded (maybe not so much...) ROM file.

* FLROM.ROM (128 KB - downloaded 194 times.)
Fl0r!an

« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »

Exactly, 6870 is 64bit-only, so no bootscreens on MP1,1.
There is a EBC EFI which would work on the 1,1 too, but this doesn't give any bootscreens on any ports, so...
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2015, 12:25:56 AM »

Just to confirm if I understood well: the card has been flashed correctly, but the boot screen will only appear when used on a MP 4,1 or later. Right?

That wouldn't be a problem, since I chose to keep my 5770 anyway. This 6870 will fit much better in another, more recent MP.

Thanks once more.
Fl0r!an

« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »

MP3,1 is 64bit, too. I guess it was properly flashed, but I'd confirm that in a 64bit MP.
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »

A friend of mine wants my 6870 to replace the GeForce GT120 inside his MP 4,1. Soon we'll find if the card was flashed properly...
j-man
Not Newbie

« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »

Hi, I got some news. I've found a good deal for a Mac Pro 5,1 and I couldn't resist...

I took off the Nvidia GT120 and put the flashed 6870 in, but something quite unexpected happened: I got the boot screen on one DVI display, but the other one was off during and after the boot... I swapped the displays and noticed that one of the DVI outputs wasn't working, although in my old 1,1 both did.

Then I flashed back the original PC ROM and both displays switched on. Still, when I connect the HDMI TV the second DVI goes off.

EDIT I carefully re-read the topic's first page. Sorry, Florian, I didn't get that your 6870 got same issues as mine (in fact they share the same port configuration). I thought you managed to fix it somehow, since you attached an EFI file... then I read it was just for testing.

So far I got better results with PC firmware: at least both DVI ports worked on both Mac Pros. Guess I chose another wrong card... or did I miss something - again ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:52:24 AM by j-man » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: