netkas.org forum
July 18, 2019, 02:22:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Information for registering users http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2246.0.html

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: another post on displayport in 5xxx cards with lion kexts  (Read 23097 times)
calvintml

« on: July 30, 2011, 12:10:48 AM »

Thanks to redratto who figured out that you can edit the Info.plist of the ATI5000Controller.kext to make displayport work on 5xxx cards.  So in the end, what determines whether displayport works for 5xxx cards is whether or not the code under CFG_FORCE_ICLK in ATI5000Controller is run.  You can determine this in the Info.plist of ATI5000Controller.kext:

Code:
<key>CFG_FORCE_ICLK</key>
<true/>

You can do this individually for each framebuffer.  By default ATY,Hoolock and ATY,Langur have it enabled, and that is why displayport works for those framebuffer personalities.

Or, you can have it set for all framebuffer personalities.  To do this just add the above lines to the Info.plist at line 93 (using ATI5000Controller from Lion GM as the reference) like so:

Code:
<key>aty_config</key>
<dict>
<key>CFG_FORCE_ICLK</key>
<true/>
<key>CFG_NO_PP</key>
<false/>
<key>CFG_USE_SRRB</key>
<true/>
<key>CFG_USE_USCN</key>
<true/>
</dict>

Doing this, displayport will work with all framebuffer personalities, even RadeonFramebuffer that loads without an injector.  I have attached an edited Info.plist from LionGM ATI5000Controller.kext just in case this is unclear to anyone.

* Info.plist (3.83 KB - downloaded 634 times.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:18:35 AM by calvintml » Logged
jsl2000
Not Newbie

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:28:33 AM »

Thanks for your info here.
I can confirm this info.plist can activate DP port of my Asus MSI 5770 Hawk card with passive convertor in Vervet now. Unfortunately it does not work on active EyeFinity convertor. So I only get two ports at most at the same time. Also on active EyeFinity convertor I found that only HDMI port is working and the other 2 ports (DP and DVI) are blank now in Vervet.
Unklemac
Not Newbie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:41 PM »

Many thanks! Got my 5870 Sapphire Vapor X working. Wonderful Smiley

DVD player, Geekbench doesn't crash, and Photoshop seems to like it.
uran0s

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:22 PM »

don't work here,

put the line code and test with dp>dvi active adaptor, dp>hdmi and dp>via

don't work with all

ati 5770 1gb gigabyte
jsl2000
Not Newbie

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 03:30:52 AM »

don't work here,

put the line code and test with dp>dvi active adaptor, dp>hdmi and dp>via

don't work with all

ati 5770 1gb gigabyte
I had the same results for MSI Hawk 5770 card.
At present only passive DP-->HDMI convertor working after using this method. Active EyeFinity Convertor will get blank display.
jsl2000
Not Newbie

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 01:56:39 PM »

I found the best way to regain what I had worked 3 EyeFinity ports (DP, HDMI, & DVI) in Lion GM for my MSI Hawk 5770 is replaced 3 kexts in /S/L/E only with previous version (1.6.26) of ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, and ATISupport.kext. Now I can use active convertor for DP->HDMI as well as HDMI audio and DVI again. Perfectly as before in SL 10.6.6/10.6.7.
And this method is also working for SL 10.6.8 too !
seim

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »

Sapphire Radeon HD 5850

-> DisplayPort is working now with max. resolution of my Dell U2711
-> VGA ghost monitor still there
-> sleep isn't working (with another graphics card it does)
redratto

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:12:23 AM »

calvintml: Great summary on running DP with Lion!  I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and the system installed no problems with my XFX 5770 running miniDP, except for sleep. When waking up from sleep, my ACD 27 connected to the miniDP would not get any signal although it had worked before going to sleep.  I had to force the displayport by editing in Info.plist of ATI5000Controller.kext (replaced Langur with Vervet). 

Cheers 
electonic

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 01:52:18 PM »

calvintml: Great summary on running DP with Lion!  I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and the system installed no problems with my XFX 5770 running miniDP, except for sleep. When waking up from sleep, my ACD 27 connected to the miniDP would not get any signal although it had worked before going to sleep.  I had to force the displayport by editing in Info.plist of ATI5000Controller.kext (replaced Langur with Vervet).  
Cheers  

I have the same problem. It runs fine from my 5870, but after sleep there is no signal from my Mac Pro.
Did you solve this, or is there anybody who can give me advice? I've already edited the ATI5000Controller.kext, addes entries and even changed to Vervet. Sound support is now there, better DisplayPort support in MacOS in general, but after sleep my Dell 2711 still won't get a signal. Please help.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:03:15 PM by electonic » Logged
calvintml

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

Redratto, Great find. This might be worth you making a separate post. I wasn't aware of an issue because I don't use sleep. It looks like the solution worked for this guy too: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/61819-5770-displayport-not-workimg-after-sleep.html. I remember that this solution caused issues with running 3 monitors, and that only 2 monitors would work at a time. Has that been fixed in ML?

I have the same problem. It runs fine from my 5870, but after sleep there is no signal from my Mac Pro.
Did you solve this, or is there anybody who can give me advice? I've already edited the ATI5000Controller.kext, addes entries and even changed to Vervet. Sound support is now there, better DisplayPort support in MacOS in general, but after sleep my Dell 2711 still won't get a signal. Please help.  Cheesy

Hi electonic, It looks like the solution proposed by Redratto has worked for others as well. Please note that changing Langur to Vervet worked for Redratto because presumably he's using a 5770 and injecting Vervet. I would suggest changing Langur to Uakari and then boot with the following chameleon flags GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Uakari.

good luck and happy thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:28:15 PM by calvintml » Logged
Tanariel
Not Newbie

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

Hello,

happy owner of a late 2009 mac pro (running ML 10.8.2), i recently decided to upgrade my graphic system with a nice VAPORX 5870 that i got from a friend.

First i started following a great tutorial for flashing it to make it compatible with mac : http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,692.0.html

Everything went quite smooth and i really enjoyed the discovery and the understanding behind the PC non EFI bios and the mac bios with EFI.

I installed the card in my mac pro and now i got the following result :

ATI Radeon HD 5870:

Chipset Model:   ATI Radeon HD 5870
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCIe
  Slot:   Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:   x16
  VRAM (Total):   1024 MB
  Vendor:   ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:   0x6898
  Revision ID:   0x0000
  ROM Revision:   113-C0780C-194
  EFI Driver Version:   01.00.436
  Displays:
SMBX2431:
  Resolution:   1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Rotation:   Supported
  Television:   Yes
HP 2510:
  Resolution:   1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Display Serial Number:   3CQ004238V 
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Rotation:   Supported

This is where the strange behavior appears. I choosed to upgrade from my 4870 because i knew the 5870 could provide me an additionnal screen that i couldn't have with the 4870.
Unfortunately, the third monitor that is plugged in the display port is somehow not detected as it doesn't appear in the list, but it show the content of the HP 2510 monitor like 'mirrored'.

I searched around in the forum if someone had the same problem and it's not clear to me as i wonder if most of the post concerns some osx86 machines or original mac.

I found this post who speaks about some display port issues but i have no clue at the moment if what you are proposing is supposed to work on a mac pro ?

In the original post, you are refering to "using ATI5000Controller from Lion GM as the reference" and "I have attached an edited Info.plist from LionGM ATI5000Controller.kext", are those files usable on a 10.8.2 osx version ?

i'm quite lost and try for now to understand what are the framebuffers and stuff like vervet.

Thanks in advance if any of you can find a few spare time to help me in my quest.
electonic

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »

Hi electonic, It looks like the solution proposed by Redratto has worked for others as well. Please note that changing Langur to Vervet worked for Redratto because presumably he's using a 5770 and injecting Vervet. I would suggest changing Langur to Uakari and then boot with the following chameleon flags GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Uakari.

good luck and happy thanksgiving.

Hey. Thanks for your reply!
Isn't chameleon a bootloader to help you run Mac OS on PC?
I'm on a Mac Pro 5,1 and don't use chameleon.
I have a 5870 with a bios I made with the the tools by Rominator and I have changed it Uakari and everything works fine ... except waking from sleep. When the Mac Pro wakes up, the Dell doesn't see a signal on the DisplayPort. Bummer.

Thanks for your help again. Cheesy
calvintml

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »

okay, now change Langur to Uakari in the info.plist
Don't change it to Vervet as that is useless since you are using Uakari.
calvintml

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 06:24:55 AM »

This solution works for 6870 as well (with regard to displayport monitors recovering after sleep)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: